1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we pick up Rodney White?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arnel, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Arnel

Arnel Member

I just read that Rodney White was waived from the Clippers yesterday. I know this may not seem like a big deal, but anytime that I watched this guy play, I thought he'd be good for the Rockets. He's only 25, so the same age range as Mac, Ming, and Swift, and he's quite an athlete.

I'm not a 100% positive, but I think he's had some off-court problems in the past, but the Rockets and Gundy are the type of combination who's obviously willing to take a risk on headcases. I think this would be a good risk to take. White is 6'9" and is a pretty damn good offensive player. I think he also has the talent and athletic ability to be a damn good defender. With him and Mcgrady playing 2 and 3, that would be a very athletic and tall backcourt/frontcourt. His 3 point shooting has been getting better every year, and granted he didn't shoot that many of 'em, he made 43% last year. This guy was supposed to be quite a talent coming into the league, and I think it would be VERY smart to at least take a look at him as a possible option. I personally think he would fit in very nice. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had a chance to watch a lot of his games?

2. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I thought about it too but was too lazy to post. Not only do I think he would make a good fit, I think the Rockets will give him a 10 day contract. What's the harm in that? If he doesn't fit, you cut him. He is extremely talented and we are thin behind T-Mac

3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

And who do we cut?

4. Arnel

Arnel Member

HMMM, cut Moochie, I know that White can handle the rock as well, and I honestly don't see moochie as any REAL insurance for us at point. I'd rather play Head and have him develop and him and T-mac share the ball. Also, White is just as tall as Ryan Bowen. I'm not sure if everybody's seen him play but,,,, he can PLAY!! He blows flyin' Ryan out the water. I know that we gave Bowen a contract and all so I'm not sure if they'd do something like that simply for the sake of reputation, but I'd cut moochie for sure if we like White. It could only benefit us, I honestly think he'd be great for us.

He's one of those really talented players but a troublemaker at the same time, and has been labled lazy a couple of times. These are all things that Gundy has a cure for ;). Plus players get motivated when they get to play for potentially one of the best 4 teams in the league. Just looking at it talent-wise, it makes sence. Spurs and dallas had great depth and hence were the better teams (save Dallas maybe, refs helped out quite a bit). We did great this offseason with our pickups, but I think we should also pick up White IF they think he's a good fit. I'd love to see this starting lineup in a coulpe of years "Head, White, T-Mac, Swift, Yao" haha, that would be a nightmare for the teams to try to score on us.

5. AggieRocketFan96

Cut Moochie.

6. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

white should add some athletism to our team....played decent when given mins....cut glover or moochie....this guy at least has potential....

7. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

KNUCKLEHEAD???

8. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

I would sign him as the 15th man while Sura is out and see if he or Glover can produce in the back-up SF position after TMAC.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Read my sig... :)

10. daRox

daRox Member

Moochie Norris would be the perfect choice. If it does happen, I really do feel it for Mooch. Cut by an organization twice :)

11. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Sorry I turn sigs off. Too much clutter.

Glover doesn't have a guaranteed contract does he? Moochie does. Big difference in price also, I am sure.

Glover is redundant, being a short 6'5" swingman, ala DA. Very expendable. I have a feeling the Rox have been waiting all along for the 'cuts' to pick up someone. Rodney may be a good choice.

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

No. He looks really heavy, and we'd probably get a hernia.

13. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was hoping that we would be able to draft white when he came out. But I am not interested now. This is what, the third team to give up on him. Being cut by the Clippers does not impress me (even though I think the Clips are improved).

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

YES

If we were playing nba live 2006

15. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

White CANNOT handle the rock. That is actually the weakest part of his game. His ball handling is atrocious.

Good shooter and good athleticism, though.

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Why is there a thread started about signing every NBA player that gets cut?

In pre-season, White basically couldn't beat out Wal-tah McCarty for a roster spot. It's likely he was cut on the strength (or lack of strength) in his only pre-season start...the Clipps 6th win in 8 games. And no, I don't see him as a PG replacement.

http://www.nba.com/games/20051027/SEALAC/boxscore.html

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Had this been July I might say this is a topic worth discussing but I just don't think you bring in Someone like White just as the season starts with out the benifit of training camp or preseason to determine if he is a keeper.

Right now I think we have 14 players capable of contributing and fitting into our chemistry. I would not want to cut any of them just yet for a question mark like Rodney White.

18. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

We are suppose to have 15. I don't think Dion Glover is guaranteed. He just came along for the training camp, but got hurt. White is not my ideal player, however. I would really like to see us pick up a very young big and stash him in Austin. Glover is really rather redundant unless someone gets hurt and he can't go to Austin (too many years in NBA).

19. Arnel

Arnel Member

"White CANNOT handle the rock. That is actually the weakest part of his game. His ball handling is atrocious."

My bad, I thought he could handle the ball fairly well, guess not. I was NOT by the way stating that he can handle the ball as well as Moochie and run the point. I was simply saying that I thought he had nice handles as part of his overall game, 'cause I've seen him make some really nice moves that made it look as if he could handle the rock.

I still think we should take a look at him. I totally forgat about glover, that is another option we could cut if White shows promissing. He's 6'9, ATHLETIC, TALENTED and can SHOOT the ball (and 25 years old)??? Uhh, I'm sorry, but it just sounds like someone I might wanna put at the end of my bench and see how it pans out for us.

20. Arnel

Arnel Member

"Dr of Dunk: Read my sig... "

He he, I've heard this before. However, Rafer Alston could potentially have been called a "knucklehead". Another thing Gundy has stated is "Everyone starts out with a clean slate with us." This was regarding to how they're not going to jugde T-Mac and Skip for their reputations from the past. I think bottom line is, if the guy is totally screwed up and cannot help out team, they'll pass on him. However, if the guys has talent and POENTIAL to help our team out, they can sign him and tell the public he's starting out with a clean slate. And once again, I dont' know if White has any reputation that the public is really aware of, just hardcore basketball fans.

I remember the Jordan-led bulls teams being able to take troublemakers and have them behave and help them win titles. These were REAL troublemakers, White is just somebody under the radar. I think playing for the rockets could be something to rejuvinate him. I don't think he would cause problems with T-Mac, Gundy and Yao on the team. Plus we really have nothing to lose if he doesn't pan out. Simply sit him no the bench or cut him, but I'm sure they wouldn't sign him unless they thought he could help. I still really believe this guy could help us, let's not pass up on talent simply because we think we'll ruin some chemistry.

White >>>>> Glover > Moochie ( :D )

I at least take a LOOK at this guy if I'm the rockets. We keep talking about needing a backup small farward, but here comes one who is potentially more talented then most of the ones we propose trades for, and some people turn this down because "clippers dont' want him." Since when does anyone trust the clippers with their opinions. Take a look at Rodney White! :cool: