1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we create a Rio Grande Valley Vipers Forum?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Clutch, Jan 9, 2013.

?

Should we create a Rio Grande Valley Vipers Forum?

1. YES

253 vote(s)
    66.1%
  2. NO

130 vote(s)
    33.9%
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It would be funny if this forum existed before a "Houston Dynamo" forum did, but it is the Rockets minor league team. I saw the attempt at an "All Vipers" Thread, which is usually a sign.

It would be a slower forum, but could generate some D-League threads and more discussion on the players there.

What do you think?

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Definitely with how much the Rockets use their d league system it would be great.

we could easily access stats and news from RGV players without it cluttering the garm...im all for it

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll say no, but only because there will be a whole lot of overlap between the GARM and proposed RGV Vipers forum. But I wouldn't complain either way.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, that is true... for example, the Beverley thread and anytime the Rockets assign a player to the D-League (though I would think that would stay in the Rockets forum).

Could create more discussion about their games and other players -- like Hassan Whiteside, for example.

It would not be a high traffic forum nor would I expect it to be, so it's not based on that. I just thought of it today and since it's the Rockets true minor league team, it might be a good thing to start. Not sure. If there were a couple of real followers of the team in the Valley driving the forum, that would be ideal.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Add it to the College/International one?

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good idea -- I did think about that but I don't think so because it's different... and it wouldn't be much different than having it in the Rockets forum.

The goal would be kind of like the "Houston Astros" forum, which isn't super active right now (I'd like to change that, but it is what it is in the offseason) -- goal being to have a dedicated forum on that team.

Fully understand though that it may not have enough support... hard to tell.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You might even consider something as simple as a RGV sticky thread in the GARM during the regular season. Unstickied during offseason. I think it's own forum is a good idea and would interest me much more so than soccer or hockey. Does Houston even have soccer or hockey? Don't care.

The Rockets make good use of their minor league team and I enjoy knowing what they have going on down there. I occasionally get free tickets to Toros games in Austin and was able to see them play RGV recently. Was able to post some of the first Hassan Whiteside minutes.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't think there will be a lot of activities in general in the Vipers thread, and any activity will most likely be relevant to the Rockets anyways so it will end up being posted back in the GARM.

Maybe we should have a D-League forum all together.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I like the idea of having a separate forum for the Vipers (and maybe for other D-League threads). It might expand the discussion about the Vipers and even attract a segment of fans from the Valley who otherwise don't have a (non-official) site to talk about their team.

Increased page views for Clutch = $$$ = a better ClutchFans.net for everyone! :grin:

10. bmd

bmd Member

Why not a minor league forum for all Houston teams?

All of the Astros minor league teams, and the RGVV.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think because the Rockets use that team so extensively and it has become their true minor-league squad, it would be helpful to to begin developing a forum for that team, but I also recognize that, outside of how it pertains to the Rockets, there could be little interest.

But if there wasn't interest in a Vipers forum, I definitely don't think there would be for a D-League forum.

I like the idea too, but not 100% convinced yet. Most definitely is not a $$ issue though. The page views for a Vipers-related thread would be exponentially higher in the Rockets forum than a separate, lower-traffic forum. But if there is interest, a separate forum allows for more discussions rather than general threads like "Anything Vipers related post here". It also can bring in new fans that have that interest.

Some forums grow better than others. For example, we started with just one Hangout. Out of that came the D&D, then "Houston Sports" ... then that split to "Houston Texans" and "Houston Astros" and also came the "Football" and "Other Sports" forums.

We have tons of traffic and I don't want to keep the interests of the community from growing and branching out.

So my net-net: I'd like it if there was a forum for the Rockets minor league team, but I don't know if there is enough interest.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great idea Clutch. I think it would be a massive success, because DLeague/NBA affiliation will only increase. It is now proven that Daryl Morey uses Rio Grande as a scout team for the Rockets. Also, I would love to see the "Hassan Whiteside thread".

:)

13. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

I'm in on a vipers/dleague forum. Not a hardcore fan, but I get 100% of my news on clutch fans. Hearing about vets coming back, or players I'm a fan of sent down and trades. Vipers are a pretty interesting team even without rockets players being sent down.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah that'd be pretty cool, i'm sure i'd learn a lot more about the vipers and the players. Most of the things i know about the rockets and the nba comes from clutchfans.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

The Vipers threads in the GARM are already not very active, so I don't really see the point. It would be an extremely slow forum.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Personally I really don't see how thee would be much activity there but I may be wrong.

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I voted no. I just dont see them being popular enough to grant their own forum. There are probably 1 -2 threads every other week about them and thats it.

Maybe next season though.

18. WNBA

WNBA Member

no. nobody cares about them unless it is NBA related, which should be in this forum.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I guess there would be more activity in general, at least in comparison to just a RGV forum.

With the increasing usage of the D-league by teams around the NBA, we are going to see a lot more notable rookies getting moved around. So for performances such as Lamb's 30 points on 30 shots, or Fab Melo's blocking spree, a d-league forum makes the most sense (in my opinion at least) to highlight these players.

20. bongman

bongman Member

Great idea. Half of the our roster has worn the RGV uniform at one point in time.