1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should we bring Hakeem home?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Possum

Possum Member

Its been reported that the Raptors are shopping Hakeem. Should the Rockets contact him and see if he would be agreeable to coming home in a reduced role to help Ming get acclimated to the NBA. If Hakeem came back with the understanding that he is here to help Ming and finish out his career as a Rocket, not to be a focal point of the team. What better tutor could we ask to have for Ming?

Houston trades: C Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 25.5 minutes)
    Houston receives: C Hakeem Olajuwon (7.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 22.6 minutes)
    PF Michael Bradley (1.1 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 0.1 apg in 4.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +1.6 ppg, -0.1 rpg, and +0.8 apg.

Toronto trades: C Hakeem Olajuwon (7.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 22.6 minutes)
    PF Michael Bradley (1.1 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 0.1 apg in 4.5 minutes)
    Toronto receives: C Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 75 games)
    Change in team outlook: -1.6 ppg, +0.1 rpg, and -0.8 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

I know we don't need another PF but we could allways trade him and someone else for a good backup 2.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Hasn't it already been established that Hakeem doesn't do the mentor or tutoring thing?

I thought I would never say this, but right now The Rockets are better off with Kelvin Cato than Hakeem

3. Possum

Possum Member

Maybe after the dose of reality he received in Toronto his perspective has changed. Probably not but isn’t it worth a simple phone call to find out? I really think the Rockets would be foolish not to look into this.

4. A-Train

It's simple, Hakeem is NOT coming back. That's it. It's over...

finished
    done
    finito
    hasta la vista, baby

It seems so hard for some people to come to the fact that Hakeem will NOT play another game in a Rockets uniform. He burned too many bridges with the Rockets to ever want to come back here. Let it go...

He is not in the Rockets future plans. We don't need him for the sacred "veteran leadership", because that's one reason we got Glen Rice. He would not be an upgrade over either Cato or Ming. He would just be another injury prone veteran taking valuable minutes away from our center of the future, ocassionally coming in for a few sympathy minutes, where he might get an ocassional "Wow, a <i>vintage</i> move by Hakeem!" comment from Bill Worrell. Let's face it, people..."vintage" is going on about five years ago and counting. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but it's the truth.

Just let him retire with what dignity he has left, and he'll get his jersey raised to the rafters of the new arena, where it belongs

5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Possum, c'mon. Why would Toronto want Cato's contract?

Now, having said that:

A-Train, I will bet you a steak dinner Hakeem finishes his career as a Rocket. Totally serious on this one. I think when Hakeem's ready to retire, Houston will "reacquire" him (a la Randall Cunningham in Philadelphia) so he can retire a Rocket.

Just a gut feeling.

6. aznlincolnpark

Hakeem should just retired. he is aging and weaken.. :D

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Because Keon Clark Baled and Davis is a better PF than C

Rocket River

8. A-Train

Yo BK, you gonna pay for my trip to Austin when I win that free steak, or are you driving down to H-Town? ;)

J/K...I know in a second I would lose if I actually bet something...

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hakeem has two years left on his contract. He's fed up in Toronto (same old story). For BK to win his bet, we'd have to trade for the ole boy; I'd yield Mo Taylor; Antonio Davis played better at the 5 in the East.

10. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Why is everyone so against Hakeem coming back to Houston? What would be the harm in occasionally bringing him off the bench? I'd just like to see him finish his career as a Rocket. Who cares if he only puts up five points and five boards? He belongs on the Houston Rockets roster, and no other.

11. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

yes to exploring it....Kelvin would be a good fit up there too. I am certain they would explore it.

Hakeem back here would be a good thing. But, I am not too sure hakeem wants a reduced role and can handle the changes down here.

We should explore it though...

12. hardeji

hardeji Member

I never again want to see him in a Rockets uniform.

He devistated our team by convincing Rudy to stand pat, and not going after available talent. It was probably Hakeem that told Rudy to draft Drew and those other worthless souls.

I can hear him whispering... "Ludy, you need pick guards. I am center. All good team built alound center. I am best center. No need for big men udder dan me......"

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

1) the team was not "devistated".
    2) show proof that he "convinced Rudy to stand pat".
    3) show proof that the Rockets didn't "go after available talent" (I'd be curious to hear this inside info).
    4) Hakeem isn't a college scout, last I checked...I doubt he knew who Bryce Drew was before he joined the team.
    5) By "other worthless souls", do you mean Dickerson and Mobley? :confused:

14. because24

because24 Member

It would be great to see Hakeem in a Rocket uniform again. Hakeem was the first player to bring a much deserved and long waited title to Houston. I know alot of people will say what have you done for me lately in regards of Hakeem coming back, and they would be right, but Hakeem is the best athlete Houston ever had to offer ( in his prime) or the NBA at that time. So if we could trade Cato straight up for Hakeem I hope every body would be with me and say "go for it".:D

15. hardeji

hardeji Member

Freakster,
    I specifically remember several 2 or 3 interviews/articles where Hakeem stated that the existing personnel would be good enought to win championships. Therefore, any moves would hurt the nucleus of the existing team. Next thing you know, he's p..sing and moaning about his contract and he's outta here.

Yeah, Mobley's here; but where's Drew and Dickerson? We could have packaged those 3 picks up and moved up. Mobley's turned out to be good; but who knows "what if"?

So you don't think the team has suffered during those years?
    Where have you been?

16. hardeji

hardeji Member

Why would you trade Cato for Hakeem? That makes no sense.
    Cato (now) is far better than Hakeem. With a half-healthy body, Cato is good for 30"/game. At best, Hakeem could give you 10 to 15". Cato's 28 y.o. and averaged 7 and 7 last year on 26" per game (career highs in minutes and rebs). Hakeem had similar numbers, but is at least 40 by now and won't take much more pounding.

17. Possum

Possum Member

oops

#17 Possum, Aug 22, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2002
  18. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Without Dickerson there would be no Steve Francis....nuff said

19. hardeji

hardeji Member

I dunno. Centers are valuable. Even Cato's got some blue sky. I see a bunch of posts that discuss Knick's interest in him.

Unless you feel Collier is serviceable, keep Cato.

Yeah, he makes a bunch of $, but if we get rid of him, and he continues to improve, we'll be kicking ourselves; plus have to shell out buko for another project.

Keep Cato. He and Ming will be tough!

20. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Hakeem will only be here for the min....

But considering that Hakeem has 2 more years of service left on a contract which the Rockets did not want to pay the 1st time around, so why would they want to pay it now.

As funny as this may sound..MoT is a more productive player than Hakeem is.