1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we bench Reddick for game 7?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Daddy Long Legs, Oct 31, 2017.

?

What should we do regarding Reddick?

1. Ride with Reddick and trust what he's done all season

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. React quickly and pull him because we don't have the luxury of patience in a game 7

48 vote(s)
    71.6%
  1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Better to have a threat to actually get on base for 4 at bats during the entire game.

2. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

For whatever reason, on the road as of late, just about every one has found a way to not be clutch. We got more issues with offense then just Reddick.

Unfortunately for Josh he had the most glaring choke last night so we’re glaring at him. Hinch will stay with him but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a switch if he’s 0-2. I don’t expect Maybin to be any better at this point

3. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I would have preferred that Hinch bench Reddick yesterday. I do not think Reddick should be benched for game 7.

Reddick is a very good hitter. I think he's letting his struggles and frustrations affect him mentally and allowing them to compound. And not just in the WS, in every postseason game since Game 3 of the Red Sox series when Mookie Betts robbed him of that 3-run HR. His swings just do not look comfortable.

He's played fine defensively for the most part.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Reddick has mostly been horrible at plate this postseason (year) but he did have a big leadoff walk in the 7th inning last night against a tough lefty. If Fisher pinch runs for Gattis one batter earlier, Astros tie up the game in top of the 7th if everything plays out the same way.

#24 Joe Joe, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Uh, he had the GW hit VS Boston in game 3 or 4; was the hit where he choked up on the bat..

6. AB423

AB423 Member

I think he’ll get a hit tonight, or I’m hoping so..

7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Game 4 vs boston was def a good moment for him.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

the better team wins tonight plain and simple. its going to be the stros and you ride with what got you there. thats an easy decision

9. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

I'm sick of seeing this dude swing and miss but I doubt AJ makes a change. It would have a huge mental affect on everyone

10. count_dough-ku

I wouldn't go that far. Game 4 in New York, Yuli got a clutch hit. It was the bullpen that blew that one. And then in Game 2 in the World Series, there were plenty of clutch hits in the 8th inning and beyond.

That's not to say the offense hasn't struggled on the road. We've now played 3 games at Dodger Stadium in this series, and 2 of them have ended in 3-1 scores. And last night saw the Astros leave way too many runners on base. Bottom line, if they score only 1 or 2 runs tonight, they're not winning. When people get on base, they need to make it home.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I would bat him 2nd.

hahahaha, just kidding.

12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

After thinking about it and sleeping on it, I just dont think you can bench him. Dudes been big all year and is an emotional leader. Just cant have him setting a tone of frustration.

Dance with who brung you there. Lets go reddick. Hr earned trust throughout the season and we need him next year

YOLO likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Seriously? He had the game-winning RBI late against Craig freaking Kimbrel in game 4 of the ALDS that won the series.

To answer the original question... yes, you start him. He slashed .314/.363/.504/.867 against RHP pitching this year. For his career: .277/.335/.465/.800. Darvish is right-handed & Reddick was 2-4 with a 2B in game 3.

The Dodgers have neutralized him (as well as Gonzalez and McCann) with left-handed relievers. If I were Hinch, I'd be tempted to bat Reddick 2nd again, honestly, and move Bregman down to break-up the bottom of the order. But I doubt he'll do that.

Springer
    Reddick
    Altuve
    Correa
    Gurriel
    Gonzalez
    Bregman
    McCann
    (Pitcher)

#33 Hey Now!, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  14. count_dough-ku

What did he do in the ALCS? The dude started 0-22(tying the all-time worst record) before he finally got a hit in Game 7. And what has he done in the World Series? He hasn't been quite as pathetic compared to the previous round, but he's been nearly as futile at the plate.

roxallways likes this.
  15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He shouldn't be batting 8th in an NL park. He's basically a free double-play for Los Angeles with the pitcher batting behind him.

Kim likes this.
  16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he gets a hit in this game 7, I don't care.

Edit: it'll be interesting how they use him. If he's facing a lefty late, do you PH for him with Maybin?

Fisher seems to now be the go to pinch runner (and is also a lefty bat).

Keep in mind, Dodgers will have even more lefties than usual out of the pen, as Kershaw will almost certainly pitch tonight...

17. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I forgot about Reddick’s hit in Boston. As the postseason has gone on he has come up very small. I stand by my original post in this thread though.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As others have said, the "problem" seems to be that it's game 7.
    You've ridden with him through the last 2, 7 game series, and finally get fed up in game 7 of the world series?

I mean it's 50/50, but it's probably an easier move to start him again as a manager.

Plus he's so solid defensively.

I'd agree with start him, see how the game is going.

I also agree that he is much more problematic in the NL ballparks.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Right now, as currently constructed, the Astros' 6-9 hitters can effectively be taken out of the game by a left-handed pitcher, which the Dodgers will absolutely, positively employ because they've done it all series. AND........ they've bolstered their LH arms by adding Clayton freaking Kershaw to the mix.

Reddick hit RHP all year; he's hit RHP his entire career. This is an aggressive move to counter a Dodger strategy that has been overwhelmingly successful.

20. HtownTrill

HtownTrill Member

Get him the **** out of there !!!!