1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we be worried about Greg Oden in these series?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motionsiknes, Apr 24, 2009.

1. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

I have confidence with these Rockets. The only thing I am little bit worried about is Greg Oden. Mutombo is gone and Yao won't be playing in the game for 40+ minutes. Which means at some point we will see Scola or Hayes guarding him.

Now we all know Oden is a rookie, is prone to foul trouble and has only shown glimpses of domination in his first year. But when I watched game 1, next to Roy, clearly he was the 2nd best Blazer playing. Look at his stats for game 1.

Game 1: 22 min. 6/7 FGA. 3/4 FT. 5 rbs (2 were offensive), 1 blk and only 3 personal fouls. Yao played only 24 minutes in the first game but commited 4 fouls

What shocks me most was how he did not succumb to pressure in his first playoff game especially when their team was getting blown out. Mutombo was being pushed around by Oden easily. When I saw Oden manhandle his way on Deke with a turnaround and ended with a slam dunk, I was like whoa, this kid is adjusting quick. Admit it guys, when you saw Oden do that put back dunk i think in the 2nd half, you knew this guy is up for it. Considering he missed many games due to injuries and the crazy expectations Portland has of him, he played extremely well.

Now in Game 2, he was practically non-existent. He got fouled out late in the game playing only 12 minutes. But the game was really tight from the beginning, and Oden got most of those fouls from neutralizing Yao, which was the Portland's strategy from the beginning. What's to be learned? Well it showed that Deke was overpowered and being 7'2 and 260 lbs was not enough. Yao is the only one who can destroy him on D but we know Yao won't be playing in the majority of the game.

Look at our back-up centers.

Scola. 6'9. 245 lbs
    Chuck Hayes. 6'6. 238 lbs

Oden. 7'0. 285 lbs

We always focus our defense on Roy and Aldridge but I feel we might be overlooking the center position.

Portland didn't know Yao was going to step up big time and pull a perfect stat-line, and that Aaron was going to blow for 27 points. In game 2, they didn't know Von Wafer was going to blow up as well.

Don't get me wrong. Rockets are the better team. But sometimes I feel, they might be concentrating too much on Roy and Aldridge and Oden might pull something on us. Something we did not expect.

What do you think? Am I thinking way too much on this?

2. ibm

ibm Member

"worried" is a bit strong. but he can be and has been a factor.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

He still doesn't have a legit post game, all he can do is "Shaq-Like" moves where he pounds the defender and tries to dunk on them. I haven't been too impressed with Oden, I don't think we should be worried very much. If anything does go wrong, we can put Chuck Hayes on him, I have confidence in Chuck to be able to stop him (especially because he likes to swipe at the ball).

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

No. We should not be worried. He will break a bone before the series is over. Not to mention he just isn't that good. Everything about him is exaggerated. His size, his strength, his quickness. I just don't see it on the court.

5. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

do we need to worry about 6 fouls? sure. :rolleyes:

6. Rocketman2002

Rocketman2002 Member

Dude is way over hyped. Oden dont have much of a post game. His best move consist of an elbow to the defender (offensive foul) while shuffling his feet (traveling). He got lucky the three blind mouse did catch him doin it.

7. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

His youth.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I worry he'll injure another Rocket before the series is over. I'm only half-kidding. Otherwise, he's too strong in the post for anyone besides Yao. He was too strong for Mutombo. But, being guarded by someone weaker (or someone more famous, like Yao), he might get charges called.

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I worry he'll injure another Rocket before the series is over and I'm not kidding at all.

Dude plays like a goon right now. That's why he is rarely able to stay in the game for more than 20 minutes without fouling out.

My guess is that he's frustrated about falling off the map since coming into the league. As a result, he is trying too hard to make an impact all at once.

The way he recklessly bangs down low, I wouldn't be shocked if a relatively immobile Yao gets hurt. If that happens, Oden will become Public Enemy #1, fair or not.

10. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

He played well in Game 1 -- in GARBAGE TIME. The Garbage Man won't deliver, though he may pick up some trash.

11. ibm

ibm Member

can't say deke was injured because of him, but he does look dangerous at times.

solution - play brian cook for a minute or 2, and send oden to memorial for an emergency. :D

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

All he can do is be like one of the 5 greatest centers to ever play the game?

I am definitely worried. If Yao gets in foul trouble, watch out for Oden killing us inside and on the boards.

13. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

forget about that. We need to be worried about Yao's foot. Playoff games are not regular season games which means Yao needs to play longer minutes. We need to worry about Yao not picking up tic tac fouls when he is tired. No Back-up center is going to hurt us. Portland has 2 centers capable of starting.

14. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

A big fat no. Dude hasn't done anything on the court that would have me worried.

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Oden fouls too much to worry about right now. If he starts getting superstar calls, then look out. But the guy averages 3.9 pf in 21.5 mpg. The dude is a fouling machine and is not getting the benefit of the doubt from the officials.

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I know you're joking but I wouldn't mind AT ALL if somebody sent a message to Oden. He feels WAY too confident that he can push and shove our bigs without any retaliation. Somebody needs to put him in his place. I don't care who it is. I'm not saying we should try to draw blood, just send a message to knock his confidence down a few notches. No way he would try to pull off the crap he's pulled on Deke (reckless banging) and Yao (shoving him after the whistle and showing zero respect) against Shaq. He'd be too scared.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The guy is an idiot. If he somehow gets away with his prison ball tactics when he catches the ball in the post then just put Lowry and Wafer in and instruct them to attack the rim. Oden will have 2 fouls within 4 Rocket possessions.

Hi, Greg. Here's the bench.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Greg needs to worry about staying in the game for at least a 5 minute stretch.

The man stays in foul trouble.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chuck Hayes can lock him up...

20. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

Since Deke went down, yes we should.