1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the way rookies enter the NBA change?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Y2JT, Mar 26, 2017.

?

Should the way rookies enter the NBA change?

1. Leave as is.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Change how the draft order is determined but still have the draft.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Have them enter as FA's and therefore no draft.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (discuss!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/3/26/14973314/kill-the-nba-draft-rookies-ncaa-free-agency

I just stumbled upon this article and found it a really interesting read.
    As a newcomer to the nba I found the idea of the draft to be an odd concept to understand. From trading picks, forcing players to go to teams without their say to rewarding failure it was something I found surprising and seems to confuse non nba fans when I try to explain the process.
    This article echoes this sentiments and suggests possible changes. I would be interested in seeing how others feel about the current system. Is it fine how it is? Should rookies have a say about their futures? Should we hold a tournament with the winning team getting the top pick thus encouraging winning? Thoughts?

malakas likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

If the draft was abolished and potential rookie FAs could choose where to go, this would destroy any parity the NBA has.

If CLE/GS/SA/HOU want to sign you for 2/$10 and BKN wants to sign you for 2/$20, who would you go to? Money is a big factor, sure, but you're getting the chance to play on good teams, versus teams that always lose. If the good rookie FAs keep going to the better teams in either conference, you're going to have ridiculously bad teams that will never get better.

The draft may incentivize losing as a way to get a top pick, but it also boosts the parity of the league. If no one goes to the bad teams, all the mediocre players will be out of the league, and the league will slim down to a 16 team league, maybe less. That's bordering on WNBA status.

Yaosthirdleg and roslolian like this.