1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Toyota Center Lighting be Changed to Help Ryno's Shooting?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mfastx, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

How is his shooting in green arenas?

Love the dimmed light idea, people have been saying that for a while. I know they used to do that at Hofheinz for UH games back in the day and I believe the Summit too.

And lol at the "rednecks" comments. News flash: "rednecks" aren't the ones with the lower bowl season tickets.

MorningZippo likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Again are the variables the same. Did Luc Mbah a Moute play for Houston last year?
    Did PJ Tucker play for Houston last year?

They have to adapt to have a home court advantage.....if that.

Luc Mbah a Moute shot 39% from 3 at the Staples Center last year, 33% this year. Again different team, different
    coaches, different schemes, different backgrounds.

PJ Tucker shot 33% from 3 last year with Suns, 40% at Toronto and now 34% with Houston.

If Steph Curry and Klay Thompson shoot 40% from 3 in the difficult unfriendly background of Toyota Center

Then you run the risk of them shooting the 6% better you mention Ryan Anderson increasing. All of
    a sudden they shoot 46%. Just to get Ryan Anderson to 40% you unintentionally help all players.
    Again Klay, Curry, Iggy, Draymond, Durant, Nick Young etc outnumber one Ryan Anderson.

You assume all Rockets player improve x%. But keep all opponents to minimal or several notches below x%.
    If you increase the Rockets current shooting 3P% to 6% more......increase all opponents 6% more. Rockets would
    then be shooting 39% from 3 this year......opponents as a whole shooting 46% from 3. Kinda defeats
    the purpose of helping Ryan Anderson. As someone put it earlier. Why pussify the Toyota Center
    for one player. You unintentionally pussify the TC for all players.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

You people and your embarrassment. How silly. I see empty seats at games all around the league. This is not just a Houston issue. If this bothered Fertitta and the Rockets they could take steps to correct it. Maybe fans spend more money when they are out of their seats than when they are in their seats, so maybe Fertitta and the Rockets are perfectly happy. The seats are sold and tend to fill up as the game progresses, so I don't see a problem and I'm certainly not embarrassed. People that purchase a ticket can show up whenever they damn well please. It's not just the players that have rights, the fans have rights too.

MorningZippo likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

it is embarrassing...u don’t agree, then fine

Name all these teams that are actually good that u see with huge pockets of empty seats while they play in front of a dead crowd every night.

if they are perfectly happy with the dead crowds and pathetic lower bowl then lol...the home atmosphere sucks, and everyone knows it

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Perhaps Joe Chee should play rotation minutes at home if Anderson is not hitting shots anyway?

amaru likes this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The only player affected by the "depth perception" or whatever the issue is at Toyota Center is Ryan Anderson. There's nothing to indicate that adjusting the lighting will have any sort of affect on anyone else's shooting. Hell, who knows if adjusting the lighting will even help Ryno. It's just a suggestion that seems like it may help.

Sadly I can't add a poll anymore, but happy for @Clutch or another mod to do so!

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Me too. At least dim the seating lights a little bit. It doesn't have to be all the way dark like those two but it doesn't need to be completely lit up either.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Has Ryan Anderson's home suckage infected the rest of the team? :eek:;)

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, I don’t know what to tell you. You seem to think Ryan Anderson would be pretty much the only player
    benefiting from the change. As if all opponents or capped out on improvement in Toyota Center.

A) If all players are playing on the same court (eating from the same plate the same meal cooked from the same pot)
    B) Ryan Anderson needs or wants the meal spicier (Shooter friendlier background)
    C) all the players in turn have their meal spicier (shooter friendlier). How are you
    isolating Ryan Anderson/Rockets as the only one(s) to benefit?

I have heard over the years that the depth perception in Toyota Center was an issue while shooting. This is
    why I bring attention to that being the problem.

We will agree that we disagree. The Rockets could promote poster board cards in dull black to those behind the
    the basket. Holding them up when Rockets players are about to shoot. Making depth perception a lesser
    issue and also would show great coordination and high basketball I. Q. with our fans. In turn helping
    just the Rockets. Put a little Rockets emblem on the cards.

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Not to bring up a sore spot (or, a blind spot, in this case), but didn't Tmac complain about the lights and colors at TC? It seemed like he was a much better player on the road versus at home.

My apologies to Tinman in advance. :)

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I believe T-Mac was a touch color blind

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Apparently there 2 forms of color blind. Red-Green hues and Blue-Yellow hues (more rare)

Red (Rockets colors) and shade of Orange (rim). One of my points is T-Mac adapted. Most players adapt.
    Harden adapts to thevdepth perception issue for someone without color blindness. Vinny Testaverde
    claimed his poor years in Tampa was because of his color blindness (Orange uniforms)

Running the numbers on CP3 from now(present)-13/14 regular season’s. 3P%
    Against Houston in Staples Center: 46.%
    Against Houston in Toyota Center: 37%. CP3 has yet to play in TC this season (GSW/Suns/Grizz)
    CP3 shot well in a couple Toyota Center games in the 14/15 playoffs. Playoffs allows focus on that particular setting.
    One should know your own home court like the back of your hand (less need for playoff prep)

I’m curious how Durant, Curry, Beal, K. Walker, Klay, Korver, others shoot from 3 at MSG, Staples, TC

#92 ApacheWarrior, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I mentioned a page or so ago: He complained about depth perception, seats too far back. He also says that he's just more focused on the road, which would just be about mental preparation and not stadium related, which is what I think Ryno's variance is about. I'm not a believer in the stadium theory.

Why would depth perception of stadium only affect TMac. Although he claimed other players around the league said same thing, which no longer has much data to support.

Here's the original quote from Nov 2007.

ROCKETS NOTES: McGrady at home on road

"I don't know, there's something about home," McGrady said. "I'm really not a big fan of our arena, I'm really not because the depth perception, the seats are so far back.

"I don't know. I'm more focused on the road. I know how important it is on the road, especially when you come out on a four-game road trip, playing some tough teams out here, I know how important it is. Other guys on the team may feel a lot more comfortable at home. I'm one of those guys comfortable on the road."

See the original BBS Feedback on this McGrady complaint here

#93 heypartner, Nov 20, 2017
    DonKnock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  14. dischead

dischead Member

Put a picture of Jesus on the ceiling, he's always looking up there for support.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But there is statistical evidence that Ryno shoots worse in TC even before he became a Rockets. Well, maybe that sample size was too small in past years.

Let's look at his home-road 3pt percentage:

08-09 (NJN) home .341 road .388
    09-10 (ORL) home .392 road .349
    10-11 (ORL) home .383 road .405
    11-12 (ORL) home .405 road .380
    12-13 (NOH) home .385 road .380
    13-14 (NOP) home .387 road .427
    14-15 (NOP) home .417 road .272!
    15-16 (NOP) home .404 road .321
    16-17 (HOU) home .332 road .467!
    17-18 (HOU) home .289! road .435
    Career home .381 road .382

He is pretty much equally split throughout his career. So the "better prepared" theory doesn't seem to apply. One thing weird about Ryno is that except for one season, he the discrepancy between home and road shooting is quite significant, whether it be home advantage or road advantage. It's got to be something psychological.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

These are same difference to me. McGrady was hedging both sides of the aisle ... maybe perception/stadium and maybe mental/non-stadium.

I wasn't applying McGrady's excuse to Ryan. I was saying I don't buy McGrady's reason to suggest the stadium has a fatal flaw.

Y'all shouldn't bother defending any physical theories to Ryan's numbers to me. I'm not buying it. Talk amongst yourselves. :D I just came in to address McGrady's comments.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Just ran some numbers on Steph Curry per basketball-reference.com 3P% from 13/14-present (reg season)

vs Clippers
    @Staples
    43.2% (3P%)
    @ Oracle
    57.1% (3P%)

vs Lakers
    @Staples
    35.2% (3P%.....lesser quality team with one game of 0-10 and another 1-10)
    @ Oracle
    46.2% (3P%)

vs Knicks
    @ MSG (one reg season game per year)
    40.9% (3P%)
    @ Oracle
    51.1% (3P%)

vs Rockets
    @ Toyota Center
    39.6% (3P%)
    @ Oracle
    44.3% (3P%)

Again, I’m not sure Curry takes Lakers/Knicks serious. Maybe enjoys night on the town prior to games
    Was it Rhianna or Beyonce who snitched on JR Smith....saying he parties to all hrs of the night before
    games (while with NY). She claimed that’s why he shot poorly for home games. ??

Curry goes hard vs Clippers/Rockets

#97 ApacheWarrior, Nov 20, 2017
  18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

There are definitely rednecks at the Lower bowl of the toyota center... they are just Rich Rednecks...

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Durant 3P% per basketball-reference.com from 13/14- present regular season(s): Durant doesn’t
    like Staples (Cal-boy)

vs Houston
    @ Toyota Center (GSW/OKC combined)
    39.1% (3P%)
    @ Oracle
    31.3% (3P%)
    @ Energy Arena (OKC)
    47.8% (3P%)

vs Clippers
    @ Staples (GSW/OKC combined)
    25.3% (3P%)
    @ Oracle—2 games
    70% (3P%)
    @ Energy Arena
    41.6% (3P%)

vs Lakers
    @ Staples (GSW/OKC combined)
    37.5% (3P%)
    @ Oracle
    63.6% (3P%)—2 games
    @ Energy
    56% (3P%)

vs Knicks
    @ MSG (GSW/OKC combined)
    61.5% (3P%)— 2 games in the span of time—one as a Warrior and one with OKC
    @ Oracle
    16.7% (3P%)— one game
    @ Energy Arena
    57.1% (3P%)— one game

Just out of curiosity. Again the variables change. Not constant.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, there is just no discernible pattern what makes him shoot significant better on the road in some seasons and the opposite some other seasons. It's just a mystery.

BTW, he really shot lights out on the road last season. That's the best he ever did in his career. This season is very good too.