1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets wait till next years free agent crop?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cat5, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Cat5

Cat5 Member

I like that idea.

2. knifejc

knifejc Member

I wouldn't mind having Jamison if/when he becomes a free agent. He had pretty good numbers last year 24 points and 8 rebounds a game. I didn't see too many Warrior games last year so i don't know how he matches up with other power forwards around the league.

------------------

3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't take Jamison now. While his stats are great, he is a player that not only demands alot of touches but also NEVER passes. If the Rockets feel an undeniable desire for a 3/4 tweener, I'd rather have Donyell Marshall, who has the same skills (albeit not at the same level as Jamison) but can also shoot the 3 and will not demand the ball. But I think the Rockets would rather have some size and tweeners never play well for very long in this league (see Corliss Williamson), although Barkley was an exception.

I still say the Rockets should try to get Kurt Thomas from the Knicks. He's tough, he's mean (which means he'll clothesline anyone who messes with Francis or Mobley), he rebounds and he can score when given the ball. Plus he's young and won't demand alot of touches. If we could work a trade with NY (maybe they'll take Cato [​IMG]) then I would take Thomas in a heartbeat.

------------------

4. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

that's the a great idea, kurt thomas could be the next charles oakley

------------------
    signed: "The First Asian President"

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I like how people dream they can get a very solid role player in Kurt for a bust/POS/crapshoot player like Cato.

------------------

6. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

I think that might be best for the Rockets. Keep Walt and resign Hakeem for one more year. And save the cap space.

Webber was the real catch and he supposedly want to go to Orlando. What can the Rockets do about that. Get Griffin!!!!!!!

The only other player I'd like the Rockets to go after is Marc Jackson.

Next years crop of free agents might be better. More stars: Carter, Jamison, Pierce, Lafrentz, etc. At least not every team will be bidding for one guy!!!!

Lets listen to Hakeem when he said Keep the team together for one more season.

Francis Norris
    Mobley Anderson Morris
    Griffin Williams Langhi Bullard
    Taylor Thomas Rogers
    Hakeem Cato Collier

With Langhi Rogers and Cato all on the injured reserved list for the entire year with a nagging injury!!!!!!

Can someone please tell me the cap implications for the Rockets next year! Thank you if you can.

------------------

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really like next season's FA crop any better. Besides, like Doc Rocket was saying... with Steve, Cat, and Griffin, I don't think the Rockets need any more stars. We have our young nucleus that can grow and mature together. What needs to be added to that is role players, and I see no role players in next seasons FA list that make me think it is best to wait and spend our cap room then.

Also, keep in mind that we will not exceed the cap this season, so we get some room next season regardless, with the cap amount increasing. Also, if we keep Walt, that is $5 million more that comes off the books. We will have the moola to purchase the services of a decent role player or two next season. I see no reason to think we should wait and not sign any this offseason.

------------------
    I would rather have Mo Taylor and his love of the Rockets than Webber and his love of our money.

Rocket's need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

NYKRule: You are totally right. But doesn't that sort of thinking remind you of EVERY trade proposal Knicks management seems to make to other teams?

In classic Knicks management fashion, Mitch Lawrence reported that the Knicks were offering either Glenn Rice or Larry Johnson to Seattle for Payton. Appropriately, Seattle laughed at that offer.

------------------

9. Rockmaniac

Rockmaniac Member

If we fail to sign Webber, than I think we should work on a sign-and-trade to have either Jackson or Nazr and wait for next season.

------------------

10. Rockmaniac

Rockmaniac Member

If we fail to sign Webber, than I think we should work on a sign-and-trade to have either Jackson or Nazr and wait for next season.

------------------

11. MManal

MManal Member

I would not wait for next yr's free agent class. Pierce, Carter, Jamison, LaFrentz etc are all RESTRICTED free agents. This means that the only way they can leave their teams next summer is if their teams choose not to sign them. Basically, those guys cannot be signed for two summers at the soonest. I would focus on adding solid role players like Marc Jackson and retaining our own free agents.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I like Keon Clark for next summer. However, I would assume he will also be a restricted free agent. Keep in mind that the $10 - $11 million in cap space we free up from Dream/Walt next summer would be reduced by the 50% fourth year increase we will give to Francis and KT. Also, if we early bird Moochie and Shandon, that will further reduce the net available space next summer. Everybody else's salary goes up, but this may be offset by the cap increase. Hopefully our record will be so good that will send our first round pick (hopefully in the 20s) to Memphis for our remaining obligation, so this will not count against the cap.

Does anyone know of any unrestricted free agent centers available next year (to replace Dream)? Are they better options than signing Marc Jackson or Nazr Mohammed this year?

------------------

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Here is the 2002 list:

Al Harrington Eric Piatkowski Mike Bibby
    Andrew DeClercq Evan Eschmeyer Mike Smith
    Anthony Peeler George McCloud Mikki Moore
    Antwan Jamison Grant Long Mookie Blaylock
    Billy Owens Greg Buckner Olumide Oyedeji
    Bonzi Wells Greg Foster Pat Garrity
    Brian Shaw Hanno Mottola Paul Pierce
    Brian Skinner J.R. Reid Radoslav Nesterovic