1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Rockets play out the season and make a run at a 2014 (All) Star Free Agent?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Jul 18, 2013.

1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

If Morey can't get a move done that would make the Rockets championship contenders (Aldridge, Love, or even Cousins), then I think it would be best for the Rockets to stand pat with Lin/Asik and then trade them at the off season (they'll need them during the playoffs) .

Doing that would create a lot of cap space and they could potentially sign another star free agent.

LEBRON - Stephen A Smith says it's a 50-50 that he'll leave Miami.
    MELO - Stephen A Smith also says Melo will likely leave New York.
    BOSH - good fit with Howard
    DIRK - long shot

Actually, these are all long shots, but I think you get the point.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can't wait till the season starts.

Go Rockets!!

3. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

My pipe dream in order
    1.Klove
    2.Cbosh
    3.LAldridge
    4.Dirk

4. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Why would Lebron leave Miami after he has won all his rings there? I just don't get it when people talk about Lebron leaving. He's never going to leave the Heat.

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

We're already championship contenders.

6. HTM

HTM Member

Do not want any of those FA cept LeBron and that aint happening

7. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

LeBron will either re-up, or opt-out to secure a longer deal with Miami or Cleveland.

Melo is 50/50 on staying or leaving to LA. Do NOT want this cancer.

Bosh may leave as well or be traded. Could be a solid option.

Dirk is risky, as he may decline heavily but if he can keep up his production he would no doubt sign on the cheap. Stays in TX.

8. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

There is no way rockets would have A LOT OF CAP SPACE. The rockets wouldn't be able to sign any of those free agents outright. Someone like Bosh would have to

1. want to join the rockets
    2. then threaten to sign with a team with a lot of cap room like Philly
    3. then convince the Heat to do a sign and trade for Lin,Asik, & filler instead of losing Bosh outright to a team like Philly

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the heat are staying in tact after probably three-peating. dirk is too old. i think the big names on the move could be melo and / or gay.

i'm sure melo will be heavily recruited by the lakers and mavs, and he loves NY. but the knicks are falling apart, and he'd be smart to jump ship. he went there because he tohught they would form a superteam with amare and paul, didn't happen. if he wants a superteam, the mavs don't have it. i think he would have to choose between the lakers and the rockets (if the rockets would be interested). i think the loser of the melo sweepstakes will get rudy gay (again, if the rockets are interested).

personally, i think melo as a stretch 4 would be pretty badass with dwight and harden. we would have the best offense in the league. elite PnR, iso, post, transition, and mismatches. however, we would have no bench (just more vet min guys), no backup center, and would have to hope that dwight can make us a top 10 defensive team by himself. i'd be for this just to screw over the lakers again, plus we'd be a legit super team who the heat wouldn't beat.

10. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Pretty sure this crew may surprise even us. Playing out the season ?...hell no we are going for it !

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'll play. Wade and Bosh won't opt out because they won't get anywhere near the money they're making the next 2 years.

That leaves Lebron who will turn 29 in December with a decision to make. I don't think the Heat will win a title next season. Does Lebron want to potentially waste another year after this upcoming season? Let's say he does and they go two seasons without winning a title. Now, he's 30 turning 31 the season after stuck with 2 titles. He wants more.

At that point, they'll have money to spend. What would be more attractive than playing with a 25 going on 26 James Harden and a 29 going on 30 Dwight Howard? He could be 32, 33 playing with a PRIME James Harden.

Sure this sounds like a pipe-dream but so was signing Dwight Howard outright in the past. Then, the opening came and Dwight took advantage of it.

Will their be another opening? As Bima pointed out in his recent article, "timing is everything." Will we have the cap space to make a serious run at Lebron in 2015? It doesn't have to be 20 but we need 18ish available. Parsons is a goner in this scenerio and this is all a moot point if we trade for a player like LMA.

#11 sammy, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I am NOT convinced at this point that the Rockets should do anything other than assessing where the team is at the trade deadline and then trying to fill any holes on the cheap. Right now it looks like the Rockets next season will have the best SG and the best center in the NBA. Do they really need anything other than great role players around those two? Check back in at the trade deadline to find out.

13. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

I dont think we are ready for the LBJ Only Fans

14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Bosh would be pretty scary. I know Bosh >>>> Asik but if we were to s&t Asik for Bosh that would make Miami pretty damn good. Well, better than they already are.

15. conquistador#11

championship after championship, melo shines in the big lights. this small city isn't big enough for him.