1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets extend Harden to 200 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Purvis2Short, May 14, 2017.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Every season as a Rocket finishes in the top 10 in MVP voting including what looks to be 2 top 2 finishes.

Clutchfans verdict...

Death by firing squad.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd certainly jump at the chance to lock him up for more years, if allowed to. James Harden is a superstar and certainly a top 10 player, and one could argue top 5, like him or not. Players of his caliber are exceedingly rare. They aren't chump change. They have a huge value on a team that wants to compete for a championship, and they have great value if a deal could be made that clearly brought a team closer to the goal of winning a championship. Having James on a longer contract would make him more valuable to the Rockets and to any team that might be interested in a making a blockbuster deal to acquire him, so it would be a win win, in my opinion.

darksoul35 and jeevinesh like this.
  3. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Agreed, players like Harden do not come to Houston very often. But the pressure needs to be applied on him to perform and see how he responds, then I would say see how much you want to extend.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

More Money is never good of a motivator.

5. malakas

malakas Member

I'm surprised at everyone jumping at this without any second thought.
    It will be a move that will have a lot of negative aspects as well and I'm not confident it will be the right choice.
    40+ per , so got to by then to already have found the "robin" or "batman" star player that all here are clamoring for and have signed him. That's it until 2019.

Paying more money is no guarantee that there will be no quitting and dissappearing acts.
    On the other hand by the third year of that, it will be more likely an albatross.
    Unless of course someone here wants to claim that Harden will have a huge longevity and will remain a top 5 player until he's 33.

6. threepointshot3

Yes. top 5 needs who needs to mature . Yes you sign him ASAP and surround him with a few no nonsense vets who can teach him the ropes. Guys with Harden's ability are rare commodities.

7. threepointshot3

He will. His game style is is able to go into his 30's. He relies on his high IQ and playmaking . He is not a skywalker who will decline when his athletic ability vanes.

ricardo1979 likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

Of course his game style relies a lot on his athletic ability. IQ and playmaking? Are we talking about Harden or are we talking about CP3?

Sometimes ppl post before they think. This easy "ofcourse he will be greate late into his 30s" is a 40+ million dollars a year bet.

It will be if not THE most expensive, one of the top 3 most expensive contracts in the history of the league. And since no more players after that seem to be bound to qualify for that extension for some time it will remain so.

9. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

You know he is not a leader because of the countless hours you've spent in the locker room with the team led you to draw this conclusion?

10. threepointshot3

Harden is one of the best playmakers in the league. Dude is THE BEST PICK AND ROLL PASSER IN THE LEAGUE. Take off you're hate glasses for one second,. You can find fault in his defense or leadership but his playmaking is elite.

WilliamGCash, ricardo1979 and riko like this.
  11. gogispade

gogispade Member

Yes they should. They should lock him up for as long as they can.

WilliamGCash likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Elite playmaking is also judged by turnovers. Take off your homer glasses instead and I hope you realise that when Harden loses his athleticism -whenever that happens I don't know- and won't be much of a threat to attack the basket anymore it will affect his passing but on the other hands the ballhandling careless turnovers will remain.

Now I don't think it will get ugly too fast. Like some midget pgs who one day they are stars and in a year they are out of the league. But it will get ugly after 30 and at that time he will be getting paid 40+ million dollars.

Do I think we shouldn't extend? I don't know. But I will be monitoring some other situations like Anthony Davis in New Orleans ie.

13. riko

riko Member

LOL Morey will sign him even some dorks here who don't like the beard throw tantrums

14. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Yep Steve Nash and Jason kidd and other elite playmakers who were turnover prone were low iq to? you are a moron

15. malakas

malakas Member

The moron is the one who couldn't even read the post he quoted.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Humans have a tendency to see a conclusion and then make up a variety of nonsense to justify their conclusion, working backwards rather than forwards.

Side note : it's probably going to be one of the main reasons machines decide they're better off without us

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey is not even a proven winner himself.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The move will make us look good in the short term but once Harden's game regresses and he cannot even pad his stats the team will have problems with his albatross contract.

This has always been the case with declining players. As long as he produces that is ok.

The money aint the problem but it is his demeanor in the playoffs.

19. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

MVP voting is an offensive award and has nothing to do with defense, commitment or leadership. Sorry to everyone who puts their stock in to this meaningless award, but do you actually think Russell Westbrook is the most valuable player in league? I personally do not...

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Except is conditioning level is at such h a pathetic level he will go an entire NBA quarter without an attempt at jogging.

He needs to many concessions to run pg full time. They need to constantly hide him on defense. They have to wait for his slow ass to walk the ball up. They have to watch his ass walk and stand around half court sets when the ball isn't in his hand.

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.