1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the power shift with our 3pt shooters?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Mar 17, 2017.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With the addition of Lou I think we have a power shift in our game. Maybe some of the shots taken from behind the arc need to be shared more with our guys who are shooting better. Just an observation, but in the last 5 games the guys taking the most shots are at the bottom half of the percentage of made shots. Here they are from best to worst in the last 5 games. Notice the amount of shots taken by each.

Lou Williams 12/26, Trevor Ariza 13/30, Ryan Anderson 11/27, Pat Beverley 8/22, James Harden 14/46, Eric Gordon 10/39, and Sam Dekker 0/10. (Bobby Brown 3/4 in one game.)

Two of our bottom 3 shooters from behind the arc have taken more shots than our top 3 combined. That could be the difference maker in a close game. It should be interesting seeing Bobby get more minutes when he can.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That goes against the very basis of D'antoni's offense, that is confidence and freedom

da_juice and heypartner like this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

There's so much context that gets lost when you A) take data over only 5 games and B) only look at overall shooting percentages. Things like floor spacing, pace of play, when in the game these shots were actually taken (specifically Bobby Brown), where in the shot clock the shots were taken, whether they were spot-up, or off the dribble, what our lead was at the time, etc. The problem with only looking at stats through a narrow scope is that you end up drawing conclusions like "Bobby Brown needs more playing time."

Tha_Dude likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

MDA: Now remember guys. If you have missed a lot in the last 5 games, don't shoot as many open 3s as you would normally. Pass them up. But if you think you can make it, then go ahead...unless you think passing it would find the hotter hand...then pass. And if you are hot, don't think about anything I just said. You have a green light to do anything. Just no head fakes, OK Ryan...unless you think you might get blocked. But don't overthink that. Try to play loose.

da_juice, D-rock, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME!

6. macan

macan Member

touch and shoot man, the law of average will come, it's like driving, the more u drive the more skilled and confidence u will get.

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now who is taking it to a sarcastic extreme? Obviously many of the missed shots were not open 3's. Harden rarely is wide open, but many of Gordon and Dekker's misses are wide open 3's. I was simply making a point that we do have guys who are sometimes wide open and pass it back to someone else. Beverley and Ariza are prime examples of that. Sure 5 games doesn't say a lot, but the percentages aren't a lot different for the year. Lou, Ryno and Bev are still the top 3, but Gordon is slightly higher than Ariza, Harden and Dekker in overall 3pt % for the year. Obviously Brown wasn't who I was talking about, because he hasn't taken many shots. I'm not saying stop taking 3's, I was simply saying Lou add's a new dimension and I like seeing him take up some of the 3's.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden jacks a couple too many off-balance 3's per game.

Defenses allow certain players being open more often (Ariza).

The key will be minutes played. Williams played his most minutes as a Rocket vs Lakers and, coincidentally, shot his most 3PA. Lou gets a healthy amount of attempts every game.

*Most meaning 3rd most attempts ..lol. His biggest attempts still coincide with minutes though. Ariza shouldn't be playing 35+ minutes.

#8 Houstunna, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017