1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the NBA Vote Glue Guys and Sixth Men to the Allstar Game?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Feb 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

I think it is a shame that the nba allstar game doesn't include these necessary positions on its allstar teams.

Guys like Tony Allen, Gerald Wallace and James Harden (he still might make it), and for a time Chuck Hayes but I just think that the ballot should include, in addition to forwards, centers and guards: two special sections for guys that contribute to the success of the team, but never get the recognition for it.

Or maybe we need a redefinition of what an allstar is? Is there, for example, any doubt that melo will be an allstar? Yet if you ask me, I'd rather have gerald wallace starting sf for me than melo.

I'd rather have ibaka or milsap or brand over amare.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And don't forget Rudy Gay. We shouldn't just reward the Durants of the world.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes.

The glue guys AND the guys who sniff glue.

1 person likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

No. The ASG is an "entertainment" game. A show put on for the fans. Glue guys, defensive guys, the sixth man? What?! Leave that for the post-season award teams(although those guys still don't get the recognition they probably deserve).

5. Mr. Clutch

What about a GlueStar Game?

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So, you think No Stats All-Stars should also count as All-Stars?

Interesting idea.

7. durvasa

Or All-Glue Game (I like the sound of that more).

Which brings up an interesting question. If we were to come up with rosters for an All-Glue Game, what would they look like?

8. what

what Member

rudy gay wouldn't qualify under glue guy or sixth man. I'm more thinking about the nba ballot for those categories to be limited to guys that actually fit the mold.

it's just a shame for me that guys that are deserving vinnie johnson, shane battier, and a host of other players who probably do more for their teams that the stars do never make it.

to me, it's a travesty.

robert horry was another.

9. heypartner

Although Iguodala is neither a 6th man nor a euphemism for someone who doesn't get plays called for them, he is the true glue that holds Philly together...on everything that both 6th men and Glue Guys get recognized for. He's like the combo of both...

10. Mr. Clutch

It would be tough because the concept is so vague.

Even some traditional All-Stars could be considered glue guys. Maybe even most All-Stars.

What I would like to see, if the concept could be defined better, is the All Glue Team vs the All Star Team.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

An all-glue game would be good, so long as you keep the voting to only coaches & players, and you don't let a player be in both the all-star and glue games.

They could have it on the Saturday in between the rookie game and the ASG.

12. Mr. Clutch

PGs- Lowry, Rubio
    SG- Iguodala, Harden
    SF- Tony Allen, Gerald Wallace
    PF- Chuck Hayes
    C- Tyson Chandler

13. Mr. Clutch

Getting into the All-Star game should automatically disqualify a player from being a Glue guy.

14. durvasa

Here's one way of defining it. Take standardized ratings for every player using a boxscore-based metric like PER. Then take standardized ratings for every player using a stabilized plus minus metric (like the now available regularized APM stats). The difference would be something like a "glue" rating

15. Mr. Clutch

That's a good idea, though I think a lot of glue guys have decent PERs.

16. stefanb

stefanb Member

i think if the all star game had players like chuck hayes and tony allen it would be boring. it's not about defense or intangibles, it's about awesome dunks, fancy layups, and things of that nature. as much as i'd like seeing one of our guys in the all star game, i just think it would take away from the excitement which is the reason people watch all star games in the first place.

17. heypartner

So, not the glue guy, sixth man, franchise, nor 1st or 2nd option on the team, or even the team's defensive stopper ... what is he -- Fan Favorite?

Ooh,,,that's another one

All Fan-Favorite Game!

Rudy Gay would have a chance at that one!

1 person likes this.
  18. da_juice

da_juice Member

It would also be cool if they played with different rules, like no dunking and no zone.

Make George Karl one coach and the playbook from Hoosiers the other, and you're set.

19. what

what Member

we already have the all-fan favorite game: it's the game yao was voted to when he hadn't played the entire season.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think only exceptional players should be all stars. A guy like Iguodala, that isn't really a star to most people should probably make it. Gerald Wallace probably should have made it by now. Shawn Marion has been an all star. Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace have been all stars. I think an all star is a guy that does things that very few can do. I think all of those guys do things that very few can do. They are great defensive players that can also do something else great like rebound or make plays or score. That's special.

I don't think role players like Tony Allen or Thabo should be all stars though. I don't mean to do diminish what those guys are doing, it's just that others can do it. I think a Wade or Lebron or Kobe could be just as good defensively if it was their role and they knew it was the only way they could stay in the league. Some may disagree with me but when I watch American ballers in international play it's evident that most of them can be dominant defensive players and can make those important hustle plays they just have different roles on their teams.

And, I don't agree that guys like Carmelo shouldn't have been all stars (maybe not this season but I think he deserved it other seasons).

Now, if you wanna say guys like Gerald Wallace and Iguodala should make it over the high scorers who happen to be on good teams like Mo Williams or Jameer Nelson or David West, I definitely agree with that.

EDIT: some OTHER way to recognize them, like an all glue guy team sounds great though. It would be like an all nba team but with the most impactful role players. Something like that could really help the pocketbooks of some of these guys, something to come to the bargaining table with. It would also encourage guys to play harder because there would be some type of recognition for consistent effort.

#20 pmac, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012