1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the astros "sell high" and trade Singleton for Pitching help?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 25, 2015.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Guys, we've made that mistake before, JD Martinez, Jimmy Paredes, Goose.
    So, lets not make another mistake by letting talent go.

1 person likes this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You named 1 guy that was waived because he, well, he sucked while with the Astros. You named another guy that has been waived 3 times and only made it to his current team because he was "purchased". Gose was a prospect but has yet to play 100 games in the any of the 4 major league seasons he's been a part of.

We didn't give away Babe Ruth. Paredes, Martinez and Gose might be fine players but they're nothing more than what we already have or will have in the near future. There is enough depth to risk losing a Singleton if it adds to the rotation.

1 person likes this.
  3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I would give up on Carter and bring up Singleton.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Exactly, repped

5. The Beard

So give up on the guy who has driven in the 3rd most runs on the team, even though he hasn't had one of his hot streaks?

6. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Martinez? Really? Parades? These are scrap heap guys, nice argument.

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Really????

8. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I'll give you Gose although before 2015 he has been a below average big leaguer.

Jimmy P has been waived once and DFA'd once. So basically anyone could have had him. Same thing goes for Martinez.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

every thread should have a "don't feed dankush or cangrej" note

2 people like this.
  10. The Beard

Repped

11. Dankush

Dankush Member

I really dont think thats fair when I make valid arguments and just get disingenuous responses.

Carter hits rbis though so its all good. Carlos Lee hit rbis too, good signing right? Oh wait he has a .750 ops since blah blah. Too bad hes a 1b/dh and that still is not good.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Your points suck if you insult people who happen to disagree with them.

1 person likes this.
  13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. The contract makes it harder to trade him.

14. Pete the Cheat

I was going to agree then I saw what was the OP and wrote down like five funny responses but forgot them at work.

So I guess what I am saying is time is merely a construct of human understanding that doesn't really exist, and limits our consciousness to the predetermined boundaries of grade school mathematics. That being said my money is on the opposite of whatever what proposed

15. Dankush

Dankush Member

So you think "He's hit rbis" is a genuine response that deserves a genuine answer. Im so sorry I should just abandon everything I know about stats? Should I waste my time explaining how and why RBIs are not any evidence at all of how an individual has performed on a baseball team to someone who clearly would never get it. No response is probably better but troll mode is more amusing.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Definitely.

17. Txst

Txst Member

Dank and Cang are idiots

18. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Yes. .177 avg.

19. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

What i remember with Lee is that he did not walk much, but had good average, did not K much, and very good RBI guy. Also, another problem was his defense.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If that's the *only* criteria for keeping him... yes. Driving in runs is not, in and of itself, a skill. The basic requirement is to hit - and Carter is not, overall, hitting much at all. Now, having said that, as Major has pointed out, he seems to currently be excelling with men on base - but that's likely a small sample size outlier and probably a component of luck and timing as anything else.

If he doesn't hit with greater consistency, eventually, that will seap into run-producing situations as he gets more of those opportunities and Carter won't provide any value to the team.

I wish Dankush was less caustic but, generally, he's right: Carter has been a terrible baseball player this year. As I've said previously, I'd be patient if I didn't have a Carter clone in Gattis and a viable (younger) alternative currently tearing up Fresno who needs his opportunity to stick sooner rather than later, given the investment the Astros have made in him.

I'm not generally high on Carter; I think he's far too streaky and one-dimensional. I'd much rather see if Singleton has progressed.