1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the astros "sell high" and trade Singleton for Pitching help?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 25, 2015.

1. what

what Member

I've got to think that Singleton's stock is on the rise by whay he is doing in triple A. Not only that he's on a great contract if he pans out for some team and let's not forget that he is only about 1 year removed from the weed incident.

I'm wonder what we could get in a trade for him right now.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Underratedly this move would hinge in part on how we view a.j. reed. im a big fan of reed personslly, and singleton may very well be added to a trade if reed keeps producing. reed has done well away from lancaster; i wonder if he get promoted to AA this year.

singleton on his own wont reel in anything above a #4, but i could see him added to a bigger deal for sure. no one is untouchable, sans correa

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Great damage has been done to his value, and right now he won't command much. His potential upside at this point is much higher than his trade value.

You could say he will lose what little value he has left, but we have a litany of guys we can trade that would net us just as much, who don't have Singleton's upside.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

if he has big value like Singleton+Appel+PTBNL for Hamels, I say pull the trigger. Obviously I'd prefer to wait for Carter to build his value up and then move him. But others know that too..

5. Dankush

Dankush Member

So Carter has been the worst first basemen in the league statistically this season and you guys want to trade away pretty much the only real 1st base prospect other than josh bell in all of baseball.

We have other prospects to trade.

6. prohibido

prohibido Member

I would listen to offers regarding Singleton, especially if they included major league pitching. But no one trades away real starting pitching for a guy who has a troubled past and a disappointing if brief MLB tenure.

If the Astros were in this mode they would have moved Carter over the offseason. It should have been blindingly obvious to everyone that Carter would not sustain his success. Apparently it was obvious to anyone the Astros may have approached. Hopefully someone will hack Ground Control again and we'll find out what really happened.

7. the shark

the shark Member

Why would any team give anything of value for a player who has shown he can't hit MLB pitching AND he's owed TEN million as well.

8. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Just don't trade Tucker, rumored to be "available". I love his talent and grit

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So, you're saying his career is over and the $2 mil per year (which is peanuts in today's MLB) is too much? He's shown nothing. He had one stint in the majors and, yeah, it didn't go well. What tells you that he's finished and should never be given a 2nd chance? If he's even a mediocre major league 1B, his contract is pretty damn cheap over the life of it. If not, it's still pretty damn cheap and won't be a 2nd thought.

By the way, he's owed less than $10 million as that was the full value of the contract when it was signed last year. It's now somewhere under $8 million.

10. Major

Major Member

Plenty of great players - including HOFers - didn't hit well at all when they first came up. Mike Trout was a total bust and sent back to the minors for several months (sound familiar?)

Obviously, his value drops as a result, but its absurd to say he can't hit MLB pitching.

11. the shark

the shark Member

please show me where I said his career is over?

I said VERY clearly why would a team give anything of value considering he is yet to prove he can hit MLB pitching and the millions he's still owed.

The risk taking on such a player wouldn't be on the 'Stros, but the team trading for him (obviously) and AGAIN why would they give anything of value to take on a risk?

Either you get this or you don't, and obviously you don't!!

12. the shark

the shark Member

Did I say he won't ever be able to hit MLB pitching? Please show me where I said this?

As of RIGHT now he has shown that he can't, and thus again why would any GM give anything of VALUE to get Singleton? That's not saying that some GM wouldn't take the gamble and trade for him, but again the 'Stros are NOT going to get anything of value in return.

How freakin' hard is that to understand.

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

You do realize we are 7th in all of baseball in era?

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Since his value is "high"? Didn't you read the OP comment? All will be revealed.

15. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Baseball is one of the toughest sports to advance to the elite levels. Each jump in level is monumentally tougher than the previous. And it seems that the jump from AAA to the Majors is of epic proportions.

We constantly hear about the AAAA guys. Those that perform like stars in AAA, but can't cut the mustard in the Majors. Heck when you have a guy like Springer who was tearing the ball up all through his minor league career, to teeter on the Mendoza line for the first quarter of the season, says a lot.

Singleton, Dominguez, Villar, etc. etc. etc... the names go on, and the lists are long. The learning curve is big. And managers have to look players in the eyes to see if they have it or not! And then when pride hits the player, managers and GM's are left looking foolish for giving up on potential all-stars.

But that is baseball. Truly a game of inches in both the literal and figurative form.

I can honestly say that I cannot even project with all of the talent, who the Astros will lean on for their team building.

Dominguez, Springer, Preston Tucker, Philips, Marisnick, Teoscar Hernandez, Fisher, Rasmus, Gattis, Vasquez, Alpine, etc..... Plus we have 2 top pick in the 2015 draft which many expect K. Tucker to be picked with one of those. The infield is in similar state, Correa, Altuve, Singleton, JD Davis, Fonana, Kemp (mr utility), Reed, Stassi, Nottingham, Lowrie, etc... Loaded with top talent at every level everywhere!! There are a lot of All-stars potential there in that list, with a few guys who would be capable of having MVP impact.

Astros can't keep them all, so this is where you have to trust the people making the big bucks to analyze all of he information.

1 person likes this.
  16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Wait for Carter to have his "hot month" and package him plus Appel/tucker for hamels. Something like that... I think carter needs to go

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Two problems....when Carter gets hot, we will likely be continuing to win big. Even with him "not hitting" he is 65th in all of baseball in RBI, so when he gets hot he will be tough to move

And for everyone that wants Hamels here, and yea I am one of those guys...I don't think there is anyway we get him without at least two high upside arms involved. Appel obviously would have to be one, but we would have to be willing to include another one to get it done would be my guess. I'm sure they would ask for McCullers, but I'm guessing VV or Feliz in addition to Appel, along with a high upside bat (Tucker/Singleton) would be the price tag for Hamels. And he has been pretty dominant his last 4 starts, so the price isn't likely going down, especially with him having a nice contract

18. Major

Major Member

Why do you think you're capable of seeing past the facade of his "hot month" but baseball GMs are too stupid to do so? :confused:

19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

well, because I think there are enough GMs out there that will think they can fix his consistency issues...kind of like JD Martinez for example. He made some adjustments to his batting stance and took off. Also, sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery and with his Homerun bat there is a lot of intrigue...I could see a team with a high batting avg but maybe low on power taking a flyer on him. I'd have more patience for Carter if the Astros hit for avg, but they don't. We have enough bats that can hit the long ball, we lack consistent base runners because of the high KO total and it just seems that there are too many rally killers in the lineup.

20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I agree with you. I'm just trying to find a home for Carter.