1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Texans trie for a Romo trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by crash5179, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Teams built around a QB are different than teams built around defense. QB is so unimportant to teams built around defense that the shell of Peyton Manning was able to be QB in the SB last year and his team still won despite him. QB is so unimportant to teams built around defense that the Texans still easily won their division and essentially had a bye before the first round of the playoffs with garbage at QB all year. The Seahawks were one play away from back to back championships on the back of defense and their run game, but they wanted to emphasize QB play instead of the run game that got them there and that's why they only got one championship.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

So your position is you can't build a team around both. I disagree and if given a choice would rather build around both because expecting a either to be consistent for half a calendar year is unlikely especially in one-and-done games.

We saw it last night, we needed EGod because Harden was struggling and Clint, Pat are out so overall D is down.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's nearly impossible given the salary cap. Eventually players need to get paid so either you are going to luck out on a rookie QB, or you are going to luck out with a defense full of rookies. Either way, you only have a few years before you lose one or the other. The decision to "build around both" most of the time just gives you mediocrity at both spots. Now that doesn't mean that you can't improve at one spot or the other, but the team's identity will be one or the other.

Also, basketball is not football.

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The Broncos got lucky and forced more TOs than any team in the league last year. They won so many games on forced fumbles and picks at the end of games to win with fg or red zone opportunities. To me that's not sustainable and a winning formula.

The Seahawks still had a damn good QB playing for them in both their super bowls. Russ Wilson is a stud you can't compare him to what the Texans have been trotting out there.

And the Texans run game is top 5 or whatever but there not very good they've accounted for what 6-7 tds? They avg around 4 yards a carry? There not marshawn lynch good at all they're not what the Broncos had last year.

Having a good QB will provide more sustainable success over the long haul, I don't think it's even debatable.

Even a few years ago when the Ravens won the chip, what was the reason? It was flacco playing lights out throwing like 11 tds to 0 picks in the playoffs and then getting paid in the offseason.

Imo great D only teams are mediocre football teams they might luck into 11-12 win season and make a playoff run but most likely you end up like the Texans's and broncos this year 9-7 and either right outside the playoffs of one of the worst teams in the playoffs. Either way I don't like the odds of winning over having Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, russ Wilson and tom Brady.

5. Fantasma Negro

I'd rather have Cutler

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If your just looking for a warm body just keep who you have.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If he is cut in the off season it will be after July 1st for salary cap reasons. And if he is cut he is likely to go to Denver. The only sure way to get him is if you can talk the Cowboys into trading him and if he is willing to go to the Texans. Jerry would never trade Romo somewhere he doesn't want to be.

8. conquistador#11

Going into that last superbowl win where the seahawks got an erection for passing inside the FIVE, the patriots had gone 10 seasons without winning one. You look at Green bays superbowl run, it was great defense and running. Giants same thing. Mannings two super bowl WINS were full of atrocious qb play by omaha omaha. people want to say Rivers this and that but his teams have been lifeless for some time. The Same thing with big ben since they alienated themselves from the defensive philosophy. Since 2011:12-4 lost wild card, 8-8, 8-8, 11-5(lost wild card),12-4, lost divisional. I've been told here that losing in the divisional is not even worth getting to the playoffs. It used to be fun watching teams that were offensively challenged ugly the game up and make high functioning offenses play at that level. Fantasy football has ruined all that.

that said, we do need some resemblance of the forward pass.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I feel like our window with JJ is closing. It's not my money, so I'm saying yes, screw it, let's have two over paid QBs. But the truth is we have no idea if Romo will last a season. I'd trade for him for these playoffs if it was possible.

On second thought, Romo would get killed with this offensive line. So probably not worth the financial risk.