1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Texans sign ________???

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd rather him than Walter and just lineup Jean, one of our 2nd year guys or a dirt cheap FA nobody at WR2.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well yeah...walter just isn't very productive anymore while Winston is still a quality starter, which is probably why he's going to get a pretty healthy contract.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm just saying, I'm willing to accept a downgrade in other areas to bring him back on. He's a bit one dimensional but I know what he brings to the table, we don't have to grab a T in the draft, we can address something else.

There are some good safeties in this draft, depending on who's available, grabbing the 2nd or 3rd best safety in the entire draft and resigning McCain plus adding Winston might trump retaining Quin and/or even finding a 3rd tier WR2 in FA. I imagine Quin + WR2 costs the same as McCain + Winston + S in the draft. I don't expect Barwin back period.

You draft that safety, 2nd or 3rd best safety in the draft, you might be able to get something out of him this year. If we're grabbing a T or WR -- that's a project. So is another 3-4 pass rusher. You even have the flexibility to look at a QB in rd 2 or 3.

#43 Ziggy, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

FWIW
    Word is, the Eagles were one of the first two teams to reach out to Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Winston, and so many other former Miami Hurricanes. The other team to express immediate interest apparently was the Texans, who drafted Winston in the third round in 2006. He has been incredibly durable, starting every one of the 96 NFL games scheduled since he became a fulltime starter in 2007.

5. htowndon2334

htowndon2334 Member

Quit it

6. htowndon2334

htowndon2334 Member

This whole thread is pointless. The Texans aren't gonna go out there and get a free-agent playmaker, just like last year when everybody was pissing there pants around this same time. We have one of the most conservative front offices in the entire league. Rick already said it there looking to address there needs in the draft (WHATS NEW). Unfortunately, there going to take the best player available again, and most likely won't pick up a WR until the 2 or 3 round, looking at the draft class. If Manti is there when they call Houston's name theres no doubt there taking him which will make me SMH all year long.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We had no cap space last season and had to cut players.

There. Their. They're.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Texans have 2 OTs under contract. Drew Rosenhaus contacted them bout Eric Winston. I don't see them re-signing Eric.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/309732951040593920">March 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>ProFootballTalk reported bout Winston and Texans. I don't see them paying any FA kind if money Winston can get.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/309733327542312960">March 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Texans are trying to re-sign their FAs. I see them using premium pick on OT but not in first round.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/309733546526928896">March 7, 2013</a></blockquote>

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You missed one

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Well looks like Winston back to the Texans is a lock.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Maybe Winston will be traumatized by a 2-14 season and come running back for a huge discount.

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

He always said he never wanted to leave, and it's not completely about the most money,...so we shall see.

Me, I want him back just for his run blocking alone.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

Newton had "major" knee surgery last month? What?

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

16. conquistador#11

welcome back, eric! =)

basically a done deal since pancakes and waffles is reporting the opposite.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Zierlein:

...(whether or not the Texans would be interested in Winston): My initial response was “no.” While Winston could certainly come back to the Texans and beat out Derek Newton, I don’t know if the Texans would be willing to get away from their younger, more inexpensive tackle option just yet.

Winston is still solid in the run blocking category even though he likely needs to stay with the zone scheme. There is no doubt he would help the right side of that offensive line in the run game. His pass protection has been very average over the last two years however. Last year, Derek Newton gave up QB pressure (knockdowns/sack/hurry) on 3.9% of his pass protection snaps while Winston allowed a rate of 5.9%.

Eric Winston has roots here in Houston and I don’t think he would mind staying here one single bit. With that said, the Texans don’t have much cap space right now and will have a modest amount available even after restructuring. If the Texans are willing to go back to Winston, it would have to be a the right price and I don’t know if Winston will be willing to take less to stay in Houston at this stage of his career.

Teams like Washington, Philadelphia and Miami all make more sense than the Texans from a need and financial standpoint so when the dust settles, my guess is Eric Winston will be playing elsewhere.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Winston is better than Newton, but Newton is playing under a dirt cheap contract. I would rather use the money to address other positions.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'd rather have Shane Lechler to be honest.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hartmann should be ready for action again next year no (and come cheap)? I realize he's suing Reliant but he showed a lot of promise. Punter just isn't something we need.