1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Rockets Retire #55?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dragonz, Jun 18, 2009.

1. dragonz

dragonz Member

Dikembe Mutombo had a tremendous career. Although he didn't spend the best part of it in Houston, he brought Rockets more than just defensive stats.

So

Discuss

2. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

Sure. Why not? Its a pretty rare # anyways. I don't think many people are chopping at the bit to wear #55.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

He was AWESOME for us but no. Doesn't take anything away from his time here though.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

No.. not yet.

Hasheem Thabeet is going to come in pretty soon, and he'll take that number 55 and take it to greater heights, and maybe end up with the same resume as his father. :D

5. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

I love Deke but not now, because 5 year is still short, but if he continue to help out in the organization like helping out players with their defensive games or doing something contribute to this team in some way, than the rocket can retire his number.

To me he should be in the HOF, not only his bball work but his humanitarian work as well.

6. monster

monster Member

No. His number should be retired by a team, just not the Rockets. He had better years elsewhere.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Absolutely not!

But I would make a finger waving bobblehead in his likeness and sell in the gift shop for a couple of years.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

how about a bronze statue while we're at it?

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A bit player, although a crowd favorit does not deserve top billing! Thats the way it goes in the sports entertainment business.
    Now if he was to remain on the staff for say another ten years then he should be considered. :p

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Absolutely. He should be honored for what he's done on and off the floor.

11. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

NO!I like him and what he did in Houston,really .But it doesn't come to the time that we should retire his jersey.He did't bring any basketball-related reputation here.

12. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

That might be NBA League's thinking,not Rocket's.

13. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Nah. Love Mutumbo, and I think he'll be a Hall of Famer (or should be), but his jersey doesn't need retiring in Houston.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Not at all. Retire his, and there's about 15 to 20 other jerseys that need to go up. At least.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wouldn't retire his number, but the team should honor him in some way. Behind Olajuwon, Deke is the player I feel most privileged to have had play for my team.

16. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

If anything, his jersey needs to be retired in Atlanta, or Denver. He had way more productive years there.

Wanting to retire Mutombo's jersey is like wanting to retire Mobley's jersey.

They both had great runs with the Rockets, and it's a depressing story of how both their careers ended on a sour note, but its not enough to warrant a retirement in Houston.

17. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Yao brought so much to Houston though. We are so blessed to have some of the best centers play in Houston.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's very rare to have a person like Dikembe Mutombo be a part of your franchise. I think retiring his jersey would absolutely be appropriate.

19. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

The Rockets should only retire Mutumbo's #55 if he gets elected to the HOF and decides to go in as a Rocket (I know the basketball HOF doesn't work like this, so I'm basically saying that no, we shouldn't retire 55)

20. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

What if Mutombo wants us to put his number up in the rafters?

Are teams allowed to say no?

(And I'm serious! Mutombo is a good player! Obviously, it would be different if Kelvin Cato walked in, and asked us to retire #13, lol)