1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Rockets bring back Othella Harrington?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

Remember this guy? If we can sign him with fair price, it would be a great addition for us. He can be a backup PF, and can also play at center position!!!
    Stats last year
    G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
    70 28 18.2 .512 .000 .718 1.50 2.70 4.20 .8 .34 .26 1.20 2.70 8.0

#1 Yaowaming, Jul 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I think he'd be an upgrade as a backup for us, but only for the minimum.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Othella is a solid player and played well for the Bulls last year. To me he is a more than servicable backup PF. I would be interested in Othella (at a reasonable price) to backup Howard if we were able to make a splash and get Bobby Simmons.

4. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

My fella as a backup would be nice.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

one of my absolute favorites. If only he could D someone up in the post, he'd have had a shot at a legitimate starting job by now.

But as an offensive post force and rebounder off the bench, I'd love him

6. Yaowaming

Player signed years salary FA
    Othella Harrington .... 1/21/99 7 $17,325,000 '05

7. RikQuik

RikQuik Member

Both he and KT benefitted greatly by playing with Barkley, and their low-post games show it. I would love to have either of them back as a back-up.

8. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Hide the porkchops and the potato chips !

i have no idea what this means, but it popped into my head when I saw the thread title! :p

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

othella is my fella

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd love to have Othella back on our bench. I always liked him.

11. Yaowaming

Is 3 million/year enough to sign him?

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

might be too much. we would get him for the LLE.

13. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I hear he'll work for a case of these

[​IMG]

14. Toast

Toast Member

I always liked Othella. Bring him back!

15. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Man anyone who wants Othella back better nay wisper a bad word about Stevie.

Othella was about as black a whole as it came. Ball went it to him, it NEVER came back out. He was going to take the shot regardless. He was undersized (I know he is listed at like 6'8" or something but never played like it) his D is about as atrocious as it got, and he rarely made a good or quick rotation.

ONLY for very cheap, and ONLY as a backup with limited minutes, would I be happy about that.

16. Toast

Toast Member

17. Yaowaming

To have either Walker or Swift plays in Rockets, we need to make a trade.
    but besides that, I really believe Othella Harrington can really help as a backup PF. At least better than last year when we play with Ryan and Scott.

18. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Well I love the guy, but I'm assuming no one wants Howard, and that we're getting both a starting power forward and Deke back in free agency. Soooo... when exactly would he play?

19. Yaowaming

I won't might to sign him in 1 million!!!!!!

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/052sd5.htm

Inside The Bulls

Re-signing Harrington remains an option

Friday, August 5, 2005

By Paul Ladewski
    Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While restricted free agents Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Chris Duhon and Jannero Pargo have been the primary focus of the Bulls this summer, veteran reserve forward Othella Harrington has been somewhat lost in the shuffle.
    The only reason Harrington isn't included in the group is because of his status as an unrestricted free agent, which means the Bulls can't automatically keep him by matching an offer for him.

"Othella is definitely somebody that we want to re-sign if we're in position to do it," Bulls general manager John Paxson said. "He was a big part of our success last season."

The question is whether Harrington can realize an offer in excess of the so-called $1 million exception (actually $1.5 million), which may be all the Bulls will have to offer him.

Orlando is one of the teams that has expressed interest in the Georgetown product.

"I would like to play in Chicago again next season," the 31-year-old Harrington said. "It was great to be a part of what we built there last season. At the same time, basketball is a business. This may be the last time that I'm a free agent, so I want to make the most of it."

In 70 games split between center and power forward, Harrington averaged 8.0 points and 4.2 rebounds last season. His .512 field-goal percentage ranked second behind Curry (.538) on the team.

Harrington was the key figure in what may have been the most crucial game of last season, a 94-88 victory at Philadelphia in mid-March.

With Curry unavailable because of a strained hamstring, Harrington responded with a season-high 24 points and the Bulls rallied to snap a streak of four consecutive losses and stay above the .500 mark.

The Bulls also have forward Michael Finley on their radar, but he remains a long shot to sign with them.

As part of a one-time amnesty offer, Dallas could release Finley before an Aug. 15 deadline and save the $51 million he was to be paid in the three years left on his contract. The Mavericks also could trade him in return for a package that included players in the final years of their contracts.

While Finley would be open to a return to Chicago, the Proviso East product considers the chance to play with a league championship contender to be a more urgent priority at this time.

The Bulls owned the third-best record in the Eastern Conference last season, but they are admittedly two or three seasons away from elite status.

Miami or Phoenix would appear to be a more likely destination for Finley at this time.

The Bulls also have interest in forwards Malik Allen and Tom Gugliotta, who are free agents.

The Bulls announced their preseason schedule, which includes four dates at the United Center.

The home games, which will all start at 7:30 p.m., are Oct. 15 vs. Boston, Oct. 17 vs. Minnesota, Oct. 21 vs. Milwaukee and Oct. 25 vs. Memphis. The preseason opener is scheduled for Oct. 11 at Detroit (6 p.m.).

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Here's something funny...MadMax (the poster) and I had lunch yesterday and guess who walked in? If you guessed Othella Harrington, you'd be right. :)

We didn't talk with him or anything, but we immediately began talking about the BBS. :D