1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Penn State get the Death Penalty?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by underoverup, Jul 12, 2012.

?

Should Penn State get the Death Penalty?

1. Yes

85 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. crazeazn

crazeazn Member

Someone mentioned that the endowment was 1.8 billion and that a $100m in fines/restitution was nothing (its 5.5%). The problem is the endowment is used mostly for education, isn't it? I feel that kind of fine OR the the DP will return the same net economic effect (one through losing half of annual return [guessing here], vs. the trickle down). But having the DP for the football program would symbolically gesture that at least education is paramount. Fundamentally, I believe that a university is first and foremost supposed to be a safe-haven for learning and educating, anything else is just extra cheese. [If anybody can show me that the football program profits exceed the endowment returns then I stand corrected]

1 person likes this.
  2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Joe Pateno didn't do the right thing and deserves all the bashing he is getting.

But a lot of people bashing him if put in that situation probably would not have done "the right" thing.

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

If USC lost 2 bowls and 30 scholarships for paying Bush...and everyone is calling this package "unprecedented" and "possible worse than the DP," then I'm trying to figure out how many bowls and scholarships they could actually lose here....

I believe that the DP would have allowed for all players to transfer and not lose NCAA eligibility. When USC got their 2 years, they allowed certain players to transfer without eligibility penalty...but not all.

Penn State should have just thrown themselves on their own sword and given themselves the DP for a year. Too late now.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Also Penn St. fans are idiots if they don't see why the statue is being taken down by the University.

The University basically had no choice.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The statue needed to come down, and I'm glad it will. I'm also not surprised some people there still don't get it. 50 years of hero worship tends to have that sort of effect. Paterno should've stepped down the first time they asked him to.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We'll see if this turns out to be true -- who knows what the 'source' is...
    _____

Source: Penn State to be hit with 'significant, unprecedented' penalties

Penn State University will face "significant, unprecedented penalties" from the National Collegiate Athletic Association, but it will not face the so-called "death penalty" that would have prevented the football team from playing in the fall, a source familiar with the case tells CNN.

But the source says the school might have preferred a one-year suspension because of the severity of the scholarship losses, postseason sanctions and other penalties the source wouldn't specify.

"If I were Penn State or any other school and were given both options, I'd pick the death penalty," the source said, adding the range of sanctions "is well beyond what has been done in the past" and "far worse than closing the program for a year."

link

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Looks like the Ped St train is getting lubed up.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyCBS Iowa president tells Des Moines Register Big Ten could add additional punishment to Penn State after NCAA's

https://twitter.com/McMurphyCBS

Ross Levitt ‏ @ cnnross
    Source saying # NCAA penalty severe: "If I were Penn State or any other school and were given both options, I'd pick the death penalty."

https://twitter.com/cnnross

From an alleged insider. Take with a grain of salt.

BIGEAST15108 wrote: Recently posted:

So, I have a fairly reliable friend (and save the comments) that has told me that they are looking at a 5 year bowl ban w/ complete loss of scholarsips over that period. No current players will lose scholarships just none available after this years incoming class. They will also be stripped of their Nike sponsorship.

8. Major

Major Member

That's perfect. That's the DP-Lite penalty I suggested earlier. Basically, it lets them field a team and continue their season and schedule, but does so with walkons. They won't be competitive and thus it penalizes the fans and the University, but it doesn't cause the disruption of the DP.

9. Buck Turgidson

Interesting article at espn that talks about how the ncaa has avoided going through the regular investigative system. This is an unprecedented punishment process stemming from an unprecedented situation.

Lovely quote from PSU trustee:

"Unbelievable," said a Penn State trustee informed of the NCAA statement, speaking to ESPN.com senior writer Don Van Natta Jr. "Unbelievable, unbelievable."...

"Emmert has been given full reign by the pansy presidents (at other universities) to make his own decision," said the trustee, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "He has been given the authority to impose these unprecedented sanctions. It's horrible."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-facing-death-penalty-monday-ncaa-source-says

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

That's not DP Lite. It's the Terri Schiavo of punishments. In which case I'd rather just take the DP.

11. Major

Major Member

I think from a program perspective, this actually isn't as bad as the DP. You can still sell tickets, you can still maintain your fan base, your hotels & restaurants continued to get business, etc. The rest of the conference doesn't have to redesign their conference schedules or lose their own home games. When you do start getting scholarships back, you already have a team of (crappy) players, a coaching staff, etc to build from. You still get to maintain your practice schedules, your training programs. Your football employees all get continuity in their jobs. Etc.

From a on-the-field competitive standpoint, it may be more disruptive - not really sure. But from an administrative viewpoint, I think this is a simpler solution.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I dunno. A one-year DP would be easier to recover from. Of course, we need to wait and see what the exact punishment is first.

Some people who are convicted of minor crimes prefer a short stay in prison to a long probation because their life can return to "normal" much faster. I can see why supporters of Penn State football would prefer a one-year DP to what is being tossed around the rumor-mill. Even I think a 5-year bowl ban with complete loss of scholarships might be extreme.

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You really thnk the hotels and restaurants are going to not suffer a steep decline in business? How many fans are going to make that trip to watch the PSU intramural team take on Wisconsin? A one year ban would have been better for those businesses long term than what is going to happen.

15. Major

Major Member

That's certainly true - I was assuming the DP would be longer than a year.

16. Major

Major Member

Keep in mind also that we're not talking about an entire walk-on team except for a year with a 5 year scholarship ban. These next 4 years, you'll have current scholarship students ranging from the current senior class to the current freshmen class. It's only in Year 5 that there would be no scholarship athletes. And then in Year 6, you get what your first new class in 5 years, which will bring a whole new level of excitement (like watching young players for a terrible Astros team).

The DP-Lite is basically just like having a really, really bad team for several years. It's very different than shutting down the program entirely for a few years.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

$60 million fine
    4 year bowl ban
    Vacates all wins from 1998-2011
    Penn St. players can transfer immediately w/o penalty
    5 years probation
    Penn St. must reduce 10 initial scholarships and 20 total scholarships each year for four years.
    Penn St. must appoint an independent, NCAA-selected Athletics Integrity Monitor, who will oversee compliance with the agreement.

Big Ten will announce their penalties today too.

#157 J.R., Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Looks like no team will ever get the death Penalty again.

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Vacates all wins from 1998-2011 - So JoePa's record is no more.

20. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I bet they wish they'd gotten the Death Penalty. Their program is going to take a long time to recover after this.