1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should NBC have shown video of Nodar Kumaritashvili's death?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BEAT LA, Feb 13, 2010.

1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/va...own-video-of-Nodar-Kumaritashv?urn=oly,219497

lock if necessary

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I was shocked to see this last night. I was really disappointed. There's not really any reason to show a man dying in slow motion.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't mind watching it -but I was still really surprised when they showed the whole incident -- because I know a lot of other people out there wouldn't want to see that.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The video wasn't gruesome or hard to watch at all. If you didn't tell me the guy died, I would have thought he probably walked away from the accident. I've seen skiing accidents on Olympic broadcasts which look 100% worse than this.

5. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Yeah, they should not have shown that out of respect for his family at least.

6. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

youve got to be joking. he slammed back/head into a steel pole going like 60 mph.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Why should they hide the news? Isn't that the point of watching the news/sports in the first place to see what is going on. If you want to live in a fantasy world, go watch an Disney film.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

In the age of the internet people who look for it will find it.

They just wanted to grab ratings via the poor guys death.

I feel real bad but I saw a pic with a caption:

"You win some, you Luge some"

9. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Is this it? I haven't actually seen the accident yet until I looked it up on youtube.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1IIHVlriH04&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1IIHVlriH04&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't really have a problem with them showing it because it wasn't that graphic, and I've seen worse stuff on Univision...but I do agree that it would have been better not to for the family. Maybe a quick fade out when he loses control would have been better.

10. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I often wonder what kind of people take their time to make fun of someones death. Why do they do it anyway? For laughs? To increase their internet rep? I understand not having sympathy for what happened, but making jokes about it is just lame.

11. Voice of Reason

Hearing about a death is news. Watching someone die is not news, its sensationalism. Showing a clip of someone dying in slow motion has absolutely no benefit, other than to increase viewers, which leads to more profit. Profiting on someone’s death is distasteful.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What kind of people make fun of someones death? People like moestavern19.

13. Landlord Landry

didn't he die later at the hospital, early this morning?

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It's really not a big deal, they would show it in any other country i'm sure. People can be too sensitive in this country.

15. Isabel

Isabel Member

Often they say someone died at the hospital when in reality they had been dead long before they got there. Sometimes they are waiting for emergency responders to see if they can get anything to work. Or just to be able to prove the death, which is easier to do at the hospital. Or maybe it's for liability. I think it's strange, though.

They should not have shown that video, especially not in slow motion. (fortunately I haven't run across the slow one yet) People have gotten very insensitive to others, using death to profit from ratings or to make jokes about.

16. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

I just read that. Absolutely unbelievable.

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yea, I can't ever see when it is appropriate to joke about someone else's death. I have heard people say that they do it to relieve the seriousness and finality of it, but I think that is a cop-out. I don't think the video should have been shown and for God's sakes, they should have not shown it in slow motion!

I can't help but wonder if it was an American that had that happened to him, would they have still shown it? I am inclined to say no they wouldn't but then again nothing surprises me these days.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why even watch the news then? Bad things do happen.

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well the thing about the news is that all the stuff they report is bad for the most part so yes, Air Langhi, I don't watch the news most of the time. Too much other stress and bad stuff going on in the world, I don't need to hear more about it.

And people joking about this young man dying reminds me of this thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showthread.php?t=42336&page=7&pp=20&highlight=wall

This biker did an incredibly stupid thing, no question about it but I was and still am appalled at the majority of the posters in that thread who felt it was okay to mock him. I guess if your death isn't an "honorable one", you are fair game to get roasted by some people.

20. Voice of Reason

I watch the news to be informed. If I wanted to see someone die, I would rent Faces of Death.