1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lin play the final 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wendzall, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

If you guys are playing from behind, which you were, you should've had another offensive weapon on the floor. Preferably one who's shown he can score in the clutch before. Or if you're gonna run a play for Harden, someone who can draw a double and make it easier for him to get a shot off or penetrate. Should've probably your best offensive rebounder on the floor too for a possible putback or second chance opportunity.

That's great Beverly is locking down his man and Robinson is blocking shots. They kept you in the game but now the game is almost over and you're still playing from behind. Defense is not gonna win this for you

2. CertifiedTroll

This question makes me think of the Miami air ball. I have no doubt that Lin can do well in the final minutes, but Beverley is a better defender and he will just give the ball to Harden which is all we need at the end of game.

3. Postcall

Postcall Member

Lin is statistically a good defender and better on man to man. To compare Lin and Harden on defense is incorrect. Beverly played okay 0 pts is not great and his defense was decent was he guarding O J Mayo. How do you know that we would have lost? You absolutely do not go with who is playing well REDARDLESS of position. I mean why even bother with positions then right?:rolleyes:

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Hate to do this to you, OP, but we need to know whether the scores went up or down in this last five minutes. I mean, suppose we are up 20 with 5 minutes to go and Lin plays the whole way and we end up winning by only five, or we are down twenty and Lin plays and we end up losing by only 1. You would call the first one a win, but I think it's kind of a bad indicator for Lin; and you'd call the latter a loss, but I think it could be a good indicator for Lin. The point is, you're comparing apples and oranges when you compare a 48-minute game score to a five-minute period within the game.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I thought both he and Asik should have been in the game late. The argument would have been diminished had the Rockets won, but, since they lost, yeah, he should have played.

6. trock

trock Member

Of course he should. He's the best PG on the team. He's been steadily improving in every aspect as the season progresses. The default lineup should include Lin to finish the games. People are being silly.

7. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

That's what they call cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    Last night they needed buckets, Bev can be a game changer occasionally on the defensive end, he's not going to get you buckets down the stretch.

8. wendzall

wendzall Member

I took the stats from 20 games all of which were within 7 points (wins and losses). The largest swing around in the last 5 minutes amongst those 20 games was a +13, which was the last OKC game at home. Rockets were down 10 with 5 minutes to go and came back to win by 3. The largest turn around loss was ironically a loss to Dallas on Dec 8th. At 5 minutes the Rockets had a 2 point lead and Toney Douglas was in to finish the game. They lost by 7 (116-109).

All these stats are from close games only.

9. RoxD

RoxD Member

Could you please be kind enough to let us know the two winning games with Bev playing the entire 4th qtr.?

Are they the lopsided ones against Mavs & Jazz resp., when we had virtually won the games in 3 qtrs? It is indeed very hard for Bev to lose those games for us. :rolleyes:

10. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

So when you diagnose someone with something that every psychologist in the world would say you need to have intimate knowledge to diagnose (i.e. an inflated ego), you don't think that speaking the same langauge and being smart enough to do it correctly happen to matter?

Weird, cause I think that in this case, it does matter. So u no speek engrish guud, u no diagnoze mentle conditionz.

11. ts2mars

ts2mars Member

while i agree that Lin shouldn't really be considered a rookie and that his prime is approaching very soon, i dont agree with your other points. if points are so easy to come by at the end of games for the rockets then why is it always harden isoing in close games?? did it look like it was easy to score when it was less than 5 minutes last night?

it may make sense to keep beverley in for defense if the opposing pg was CP3 or another elite guard....

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

This isn't a high school team where you give out 7th place ribbons. You have your starters & your bench guys for a reason. You put your starters back in, particularly when you are in the playoff race & the starters were the people who helped get you there in the first place. You don't play a rookie who has been with the team for only a few days & you don't keep a PG out there for 15 minutes straight. And FYI for all those that said beverly was great in the 4th quarter, h was 0 according to +/- in the 4th Q stint, he had no effect on the court whatsoever.

13. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Beverley didn't do much at all when he was on the floor in the Mavs game. He was a complete non-factor.

14. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Because ur point guard should be looking to score, right? Amazing how people forget so quickly watching today's point guards, that it is not their job to score. Never is, never has been. Someone tell me the last starting, scoring point guard to win a championship, and don't state Parker, because he is really, really balanced, along with playing beside all-time greats. Beverley plays his role perfectly. Jason Kidd once said the hardest part about getting a triple-double was getting 10 points. I think the LOF's would be better off with him being on some club like Charlotte, or Atlanta, where he could be the focal point on a team that will never win. Houston Rockets would not be better, let that be known, but you would be happier. $100 to the tip jar if Morey could not get a point guard that is comparable, and just as likely to play in a championship game for the Rox.

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

With that logic, there would be no way for a bench player to earn a starting position. Why even make trades since the starting five should always be the same?

1 person likes this.
  16. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Do you myopic clowns just look at points or something? Do you EVER notice how many balls Bev gets his hands on? Do you look at his assists? Do you look at his defensive rotations and S&R coverage? Do you idiots notice ANYTHING that doesn't show up in the final column of a box score?

1 person likes this.
  17. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Some sanity... thank God.

18. MOHRocketeer

MOHRocketeer Rookie

So when Lin wasn't scoring well and was playing defense and getting assists he doesn't deserve to play because he can't score/isn't aggressive enough, but when he is scoring he shouldn't play because he is suddenly a defensive liability and scoring isn't the PG's role? Lin haters are so inconsistent

19. wendzall

wendzall Member

Besides here is the best overall measure to think about. We seem to very often have these bursts of argument about Lin. These arguments always happen when Lin is not in the final 5 minutes and the Rockets lose the game... conclusion....

We often lose games when Lin is not in the final 5 minutes so let's stop it with these arguments.

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Beverley isn't a normal rookie. He's played international ball and has more professional experience than Lin. Dare I say he's more suited for crunch time play?;)