1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Kostas Papanikolaou Start on Saturday Night vs Golden State?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Nov 7, 2014.

?

Should the Rockets give Kostas Papanikolaou his first NBA start on Saturday night against the Warrio

1. Start Kostas

37.3%
  2. Keep Kostas on the bench

62.7%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Draymond Green is starting at Power Forward for the Warriors on Saturday night so should the Rockets counter by starting Kostas Papanikolaou? Green has added an element to the Golden State starting unit that David Lee does not have, Defense. Although not the most intelligent player, Darymond Green is a defensive oriented player with a mean streak. He is one of those players you want to punch in the nose after about 5 minutes of him guarding you. He rebounds well for his size and has shot the 3 ball well this season when left alone at the arc. Green is strong enough to defend most Power Forwards in the league and when his 3pt shooting is on can create a mismatch on the offense for bigger power forwards that cannot keep up with him.

In my humble opinion, the Rockets are better on both ends of the floor when the players on the floor include both Trevor Ariza and Kostas Papanikolaou. Like Draymond Green, Kostas has proven that he is a very good defensive player that is capable of hitting the 3pt shot. Unlike Green, he has a very high basketball IQ and is probably the Rockets best passer outside of James Harden. In just 24 minutes a game this season Kostas is averaging 3.5 assists, 4 rebounds and 1 steal a game. The coaches have apparently given Kostas the green light to shoot from beyond the arc as he is not hesitant about taking the 3pt shot. While Kostas is not as good of a 3pt shooter as some of the Rockets other 3 point shooters, at 33.3% 3pt percentage, opposing players are still forced to close out him.

If Terence Jones is out again tonight I don’t think Donatas Motiejunas has the quickness or foot speed to keep up with Draymond Green. When players get past DMo he has a habit of reaching which has the added effect of getting him into foul trouble. Although DMo is not shooting or rebounding particularly well, he appears to have added significant core strength this summer which in my opinion has made him a much better post defender as he has been able to hold his position against other post players. Although he initially appears to do a good job of boxing out and going after defensive rebounds, he has a difficult time controlling the rebound and frequently gets the ball knocked out of his hands.

If Pat Beverly is healthy on Saturday night then the adding Kostas Kostas Papanikolaou completely solidifies the starting line-up and creates very tough match ups for Golden State across the board. While Beverly would very likely match up against Curry all night, Harden, Ariza and Papa would be free to switch on Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green all night without a single mismatch in Golden States favor.

I typically would not be in favor of switching up the starting line-up but…. The Warriors line-up seems to be a tailor made match up for Kostas at the Power Forward. Plus, it’s not as if the Rockets have had Terence Jones in the starting line-up, he has been injured the last couple of games and DMo hasn’t exactly set the world on fire as the starting Power Forward.

Should the Rockets give Kostas Papanikolaou his first NBA start on Saturday night against the Golden State Warriors and Daymond Green?

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Terrence Jones is a pretty good perimeter defender, switching onto a guard isn't his issue, getting shoved around by bigger/stronger guys is.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If he's healthy, T-Jones is the starter. End of story. Papa-lick-her-now is a good spark off the bench and he should remain in that role.

4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i whole heartedly agree. we closed out with that lineup versus the heat, and did really well, Kostas should play whenever the other team doesn't have a banger at the 4. his perimeter D is good. and you always have Dwight helping.

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Terrence gets the start if available.

At this point I would almost rather start Terry at 4 than D-Mo, because Terry at least has balls. So sure. If Terrence is out roll with K-Pap. Why the hell not?

6. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

We have the JET!

You can't just call Terrence, Terry!

7. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

jason terry at the 4?

[​IMG]

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

YOu need a spark off the bench to keep our momentum going. It is the bench that needs more help.

Anyway McHale has shown he's willing to close games with Papa if he's playing well.

Keep the staring rotation. It's important for some guys.

9. crash5179

I'm not suggesting moving Papa into the starting line-up for good, but TJ has been out and Draymond Green is essentially a SF starting at the PF spot. It just seems like the ideal time to start Papa.

10. crash5179

Both Jet and Canaan have been good off of the bench.

11. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

If Terrence Jones is out then HELL YES!

12. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Green is a punk. I recall him last year trying to start fights

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think it's a good question, but I'd still start DMo if Jones is out even though DMo has been terrible. I like Kostas coming off the bench.

With that said, I really hope Jones and Bev come back for Saturday.

14. dragician

dragician Member

Relax y'all, Ariza will chase anyone making 3s.

15. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Yes but only for this game - it makes perfect sense. I think DMo can provide solid defense on DLee coming off the bench, and Paps is a MUCH better matchup for Green.

16. NewAge

NewAge Member

I hope TJ returns, it's an important game. If he doesn't K-Pap will see a lot of time, whether starting or not, but he's still a rook, it's unfair to count too much on him. DLee is out, so yeah, k-Pap will see plenty minutes at the 4.

On another issue, it looks like Bev is out for sure. Canaan will have to make Steph play defense if are to be successful.

17. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

Draymond Green will not play in this weekend's road games at Houston and Phoenix

18. clutz

clutz Member

That means we won't really know if the Rockets are a good team or not if they win.

19. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Of course not. Let's just pile up the wins and keep them guessing whether the Rockets are a good team. :p

20. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

If TJones' playing, start TJones. If TJones is not playing, start DMo to spread the floor.

We need KPap to orchestrate the offense for the 2nd unit.