1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Hakeem have played for Nigeria?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Aug 2, 2012.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I never understood why Hakeem didnt play for Nigeria but instead played for the USA. I believe if Hakeem played for Nigeria he would have inspired many Nigerians to pick up a basketball and they would not be losing by 83 20 years later... I mean it's not like they are unathletic or not tall enough.

He should have gone to play for Nigeria for his homeland, and inspire the youths of his country, instead he went and played for USA even though they didn't need him. Did he just want to win a gold? Olympics are about more than winning medals, it's about giving hope and inspiring your country.

I think if Hakeem had played for Nigeria, we would be seeing more Nigerian NBA players. Do you think Hakeem regrets his decision?

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Uhhh, NO!

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Maybe I'm mistaken but it got him citizenship here. I'd rather have that.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

IIRC Hakeem explored playing for his home country but he did not think they had enough players to qualify.

From today's game, the announcers said that only three of Nigeria's players were actually born in Nigeria. Many were born in the good ole USA and played college ball here.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Maybe Dream should have never been born, so that Ewing could get a ring and inspire more Jamaicans.

Maybe Dream should have gone to college up north, despite the cold, to inspire Nigerians to brave cold weather.

Maybe Dream should not have blocked Starks, so that CBA players would be inspired by Starks' game winner.

#5 RV6, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

This is the first time Nigeria has even qualified for the Olympics.Just imagine what kind of team they would have hobbled together 15 year's ago ... Wouldn't have been pretty,even with Dream on the team.

7. acjeitherocket

i was born in Nigeria. if i still lived there, i probably couldve made the team lol

8. kcarro

kcarro Member

Is this really worth mentioning?

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Dikembe was criticizing Hakeem about this back then, saying they should have formed a unified african team.

10. arjun

arjun Member

def would have been great promotion for the support..maybe they would have turned up better ball palyers by now

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i wouldn't want my star player spending summers in some African tournament on a team that probably didn't even have a proper sports doctor back then.

12. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

he would of been the only player on the team....

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Hakeem should have stayed back in Nigeria to block all the emails by the Nigerian scammers.

2 people like this.
  14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

really?

he was naturalized in '93 and a three year waiting period was waived qualifying him for the '96 Dream Team.

15. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Zboy FTW!

16. New Generation

Yea, because none of us are sick and tired of the hundreds of Dwight Howard topics being made a day. This thread sucks

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Would that even be possible? Like would it even be legally possible for that team to be recognized by the international community to be able to compete in world tournaments?

Still though, it would only be Hakeem and Mutombo + scrubs. Was Bol still playing around that time?

18. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

Even if Hakeem played for Nigeria, it wouldn't change the severe child malnutrition in sub-Saharan that prevents them from developing athletes.

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

so Nigeria's numerous good soccer players are manufactured in genetic labs?

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Nigeria won a gold medal in soccer in the '96 olympics, but you dont see very good players now, the few great players from Nigeria, were mostly from that team.