1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooting on vegas strip

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like country music (and I like heavy metal), but I am not a Republican, nor am I against gun control. I think assault rifles of any type should be banned. No reason for the average civilian to own that ish. I also think there should be a large tax put forth on bullets themselves.

This narrative is so stupid.

These people didn't ask to be mowed down. They were enjoying themselves.

On the flip side, one mass shooting doesn't change the fact that there are more people across the country that are dying in a hail of bullets each day. Some innocent, some not so much. Still - children losing mothers and fathers daily. Just because this happens and gets a ton of press, it makes people feel less safe than they were on Saturday. The fact is, that hasn't changed. It's a bit out of hand and something needs to change.

But, as is the downfall of our country, money talks.

2. cebu

cebu Member

You are NOT against gun control, but you want to put a large tax on ammo and you don't want average civilian to own one. Hmmn.. do you like drugs?

3. Two Sandwiches

No, I'm FOR gun control. So I'm not against it. I don't understand...

I think the average civilian has every right to own a gun, but I'm against the average civilian being able to gather automatic weapons or devices to make a weapon and automatic. I'm also against the average civilian having the ability to stockpile thousands of rounds of ammo.

If you throw all that together, how do you perceive that I am against gun control?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

:(:(:(

Portraits of the fallen

Officials have identified 58 people who were killed when a gunman opened fire on the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas Sunday night.

The 36 women and 22 men who died worked in schools, police departments and family businesses across America and Canada. More than half came from California.

These are their names and stories.
    *Rest in peace*

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

EddieWassnubbed, let me ask you this: Have you been around firearms to the point you feel like you understand the topic? Can you identify a gun and understand its capability? Do you have a decent idea of current gun laws?

I ask this because you do not seem like you understand America's gun culture nor do I think you're just a gullible fool who just blindly follows whatever baseless belief of the day is. I just feel like you represent a lot of the uneducated people who want change but do not understand the change they are asking for. They believe any change is better than no change at all.

Before you start giving your opinion, you should ask yourself what motivates the opinion. Will it actually help? Does it disparage legal citizens in lieu of having no impact on criminal behavior.

For example, you believe a person shouldn't have thousands of rounds of ammo and there should be a tax on ammo. If a couple of buddies and I decide to have a target practice day, I will shoot off 10 mags @ 15 rouds per mag .. on a light day. Thats 150 rounds, multiple it by 3 people and thats 450 rounds. Double that if its a moderate day. 900 rounds. If I am a gun enthusiast, I will likely have several flavors of ammo, .223/9mm/.40/.45/various shot gun ammo ... so I could easily have 'thousands of rounds' of ammo and not be some obsessive gun nut.

Then you suggest we should tax ammo. What is taxing ammo going to accomplish except punish 99% law abiding citizens? Do you think doubling the cost of ammo through taxation is going to reduce killings by guns? Of course not. 99.99% of ammo is going to be shot by people who enjoy target practicing. All you're going to do is piss them off and make them resist any type of change and reinforce their believe you're out to take away their rights.

Then how are you going to stop people from reloading ammo? And if you make anything too expensive, all you will be doing is creating a black market. And with anything that doesnt' have quality control, you risk having poor quality ammo that could endanger a lot of people.

Next, you think we should ban assault weapons. I need you to first tell me what an assault weapon is before I or anyone else can agree or disagree with you. (hint: there is no universal definition)

Automatic weapons are already illegal to own w/out the proper paperwork from the .gov. No reasonable person is suggesting bump stock should be legal or any other method that effectively turns a semi automatic into a fully automatic.

So Ill ask, what kind of gun control would you suggest that actually stops killings and reduces criminal behavior ... and something that actually stands a chance of being passed?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Great post.

Good points on ammo taxation.

My extent of gun experience is rifles and shotguns used for hunting. To me, going to the range would involve shooting five to ten times to align a scope and I'm done.

To me, if you're hunting, you don't need 1,000 rounds of ammo. If you're into self protection, which I think is....what's the word...every man's right, and something I believe in... you don't need 1,000 rounds.

I can't imagine ever shooting that many rounds at a range, but to each their own.

I just don't see the need to own an AR, though I have many family members that do. Just not my cup of tea...but like I said, to each their own.

I hear you on bump stocks. Agree.

I honestly don't think there is anything that can prevent something like what happened this week. There's just got to be some sort of way from preventing or at least identifying a man owning 47 or whatever gins, having thousands of rounds of ammo, bumpers, and however much tannerite he had.

Just makes me sick...

#86 Two Sandwiches, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm never going to understand why GUNS get blamed when these things happen. And frankly, I think it's well past time the national conversation begins to realize if not guns, sociopaths are going to find other ways to do it. Limiting this and that, it just isn't going to end misery.

That said, even I find it kinda wild that fully auto is outlawed but these bump stocks and trigger cranks and such aren't. I think owning 20 something AR style rifles is pretty strange. I have a few and they all serve different purposes. I don't see much need in owning more revolvers than I can carry. More target practice handguns....more concealed carries...more rifles than ten men can carry? For what?

So, if they were to outlaw those auto fire devices, to me that's really not a big deal. If they were to start making checkins and psych tests mandatory on people who have that many guns registered, I'd say that's fair too.

But when they do that, and it there's still mass murder attempts....I want to hear no more suggestions on what to ban.

If I'm being honest, and I usually am not one for conspiracy theories, I really find this one odd. I dont know what they're covering up but it sure seem s like it's something.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The 2nd amendment wasn't created for gun enthusiasts. Next...

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

you're absolutely right. We should have a 2nd amendment that allows people the right to own firearms but only limit them to 10 rounds. I think that is really intelligent to have a whole country armed and ready but doesn't know how to use a firearm.

Just FYI before you reply, im using your logic.

10. VanityHalfBlack

They are to blame. It's the one doing the damage, LMAO. So no restrictions on gun control at all? Like it just happens and that's it? Hell if blue bell ice cream kills 60 fat kids, there's going to be some kind of restrictions on that, right? Why not guns?? LMAO

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because there are people who are against them to begin with and people like that will use anything they can get to push that narrative. If he had flown one of his planes into the crowd, I'm not sure we'd be wanting to outlaw public plane ownership despite the fact that there would be MANY more casualties had he decided to go that route.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think we need to dispeal this notion that understanding guns is more complicated than fluid mechanics.
    Any people know guns. Many people who know guns still do stupid **** with guns.

I have hobbies also. I love combustion engines. 4.0 flat 6 that revs to 9000 rpm from Porsche is one of my faves. My dream car has that motor in it.

I'm not a child though and understand my favorite hobby is not the greatest for society and accept that my Hobby's prevlence is going to slowly dwindle.

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Did you blame pressure cookers for the Boston Marathon bombing?

14. fchowd0311

Is a pressure cooker's sole intent launching a projectile 1000 m/s through flesh?

The steps it takes to turn a pressure cooker into a mass casualty weapon has far more steps than any semi+auto rifle.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Either you blame the tool or you don't.

16. fchowd0311

Or you can exercise that mass in-between your ears and apply context?

How about this. If you can show data that suggests coorelation between the proliferation of pressure cookers to homicide rates for a reasonable sample of a population, maybe we can start a reasonable discussion.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine if there was people that were just really against pressure cookers before the Boston bombing then they would have blamed the pressure cookers for the bombing. I'm not aware of any group like that though. For sure though, those who blame the tool are just using the event as justification for always being against the existence of the tool. It would be like if someone hated mar1juana and they managed to find a traffic accident involving someone smoking a blunt at the time of the accident, for sure they'd blame the accident on the weed and use that as justification that their previous opinion was valid.

It's no different here.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

In China and other parts of the Eastern Hemisphere they are having mass knife attacks in crowds. Did a knife wake up one day and decide it was going to go attack people?

I'm not arguing that assault rifles are not enablers or that they have intrinsic use for the average citizen. But blaming an inanimate object for an act committed by a person is not the answer. If someone wants to find ways to hurt other people, they will.

19. fchowd0311

Can a knife attack wound 500 people and murder 59+ in one go?

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Nope.