1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooter Wanted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Rock MVP, May 27, 2009.

1. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Mods feel free to move this if necessary.

After watching the Orlando - Cleveland matchup, I realized that what we are missing is a dead on shooter who can just sit there and shoot and to a lesser extent drive in.

Utah has Korver
    Orlando has Reddick, Lewis, Hedo
    Cleveland has Mo, West, Gibson, Szerbiak (sorry spelling)
    Lakers have vujacic and fisher
    Denver has JR smith

The best outside shooters we have are Battier and Barry
    Barry is older and not up to playing major minutes and Battier expends most of his energy on defense.

I was wondering what you guys thought of trading to get a guy like Chase Budinger. He is falling in the draft and can be traded for. I understand he is like Barry, but he is taller and seems more athletic than barry even though Barry won the Dunk Contest.

Thoughts?

2. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Mo can't shoot, West can't shoot.

Reddick, Korver and Vujacic can't play defense. Vujacic is a bonehead. Sczerbiak is and overrated shooter who wasn't made better with Lebron.

J.R. Smith can shoot. Damn. But he's crazy.

3. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

We have enough shooters.

We need size. A backup center and someone solid (statue)like a Chuck Hayes or big baby Davis, Kendrick Perkins kind of build. Someone who can't be ran over. IMO

4. Strawman

Strawman Member

You are mistaken. They can shoot.

5. NBA Law

NBA Law Member

Budinger is not the answer. Everyone questions his toughness.

6. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Umm... what? Have you been watching the playoffs? The guys you mentioned are atrocious.

Back to the topic at hand, though. We had Novak. We all know he could shoot the hell out of the ball, but the rest of his game was sub-par. His inability to create his own shot (and weak defense, at that) was a liability for the team.

We have some pretty good shooters. I'm happy with having a player like Von Wafer. He can shoot, drive, and create his own shot.

A Mike Miller would perhaps work, but there's really no chance of that happening.

Besides, I don't think shooting is a huge priority. We have enough decent shooters on this team. We need to get big inside.

7. hancock.corey

hancock.corey Member

We need heart. that's what we need, lol. we have all we need. we just need HEART. that simple. MORE of it, for we've shown we have some.

8. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

What you mean is we need a shooter on a STREAK. Now thats a different story. People so impressed right now by Orlando with their shooting will be the first one to call them out when they start laying bricks.

Heck even Mo Williams and Delonte West could become great shooters by the end of the next game if they really start making some shots. Put mediocre players around dominant forces like Lebron and Dwight, you will be surprised how many open shots these guys will get from the defense. Playing with a guy like Lebron is guaranteed to get you 5-8 open 3 pointers a night. Now if you make em then you are shooter and if not then well you just suck!

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It would be nice to have someone that can come off the bench and hit the 3 with consistency. Von is pretty erratic in that respect.

Oh, and Chase Budinger sucks.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not every team is built the same, but a player that is an efficient scorer who can also attack the basket and get to the FT line from the WING position would be ideal.

Maggette...cough..cough..

;)

DD

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Maggette is a cancer, you think Tmac puts forth a laughable effort?

Even Maggette's Golden State teammates couldn't believe some of his on-court antics.

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I don't agree.

Lakers have Fisher and Vujacic HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's a JOKE.

Derek Fisher - 6.9 ppg shooting fg 34% and 22% on 3pointers

Sasha Vujacic - 3.7 ppg shooting fg 27% and 32% on 3pointers.

GREAT example.

13. DaDakota

Some players are considered cancers when they are on bad teams.....I think Maggette is a closer, a finisher, and on the right team, he would fall in line.

This would be his ideal spot....where he could just do what he does and score points off all the attention the other players get..

I try to look at how a player's game translates to our team....IMO, Maggette is ideal...

He does EVERYTHING we need and does it with maximum efficiency...

DD

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hes bad at threes

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm not saying he couldn't work here, I'm saying he's got issues that are red flags.

We don't need another Bonzi showing up late, not taking care of himself and then going bat**** on the court and taking over the ball. We already have some guy named Artest doing a fine job of that.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Um, his contract is atrocious, he's injury prone and selfish. We've already got one of those players.

17. DaDakota

$10 million a year for 20ppg and 46% shooting is not too much...it is below a lot of other 20ppg scorers.

He is about the same career wise as Tmac and Artest....but that is certainly not his strength.

We have enough long ballers, we need some attackers.....people who get to the line and make the other team pay for getting in the penalty early in the 4th.

A team With Maggette, Brooks, & Yao on the floor late would be dangerous getting to the line

I know I am pretty much alone with my thoughts on how he fits.

I just can't help it that I am right.

:D

DD

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Perhaps we could acquire the rights to the infamous Mirsad Turkcan -> the rifleman from Turkey. He once hit like 18 straight threes during a workout with Houston.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm fine with adding another shooter to space the floor, or a slasher to keep the defense honest... I just think maybe Scola should get more involved in the offense from this point on. We seem to like to go to him in the 1st quarter and then he kind of disappears afterward.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would rather have Rudy Fernandez. He's the long shooter everyone wants plus he is tough, has high basketball IQ and can handle the ball.

I think he can be had for an ugrade at their starting SF spot, either Battier(who Portland has always) coveted, or Deng (who Houston can trade McGrady to Chicago to acquire, along w/either Noah, Hinrich or Thomas).