1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shawn Kemp fined for not eating

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by moestavern19, Dec 22, 2000.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Kemp blames absence on effects of diet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

DALLAS -- Shawn Kemp, after being fined by the Portland Trail Blazers for missing a practice, blamed his absence on weariness triggered by his new diet.

Kemp slept through the workout Tuesday morning, then joined his teammates in Dallas after catching an afternoon flight. He suited up for the game Wednesday night, but did not play in a 106-101 loss to the Mavericks.

"He's under the microscope," said coach Mike Dunleavy, who said Kemp was not suspended.

Kemp said his bosses and his teammates accepted his explanation and were understanding. He added that he didn't argue with the fine.

"I have to accept it because I don't want these guys to think I want to be treated any different," he said.

Kemp said he was dressed and ready to leave his apartment around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday for a practice that started at 10. He sat down for a minute and the next thing he knew it was 12:15 p.m.

He said the exhaustion had been building and team officials knew it.

"I've lost so much weight the last few weeks, the energy level drops down a little bit," he said. "I can be sitting there and all of a sudden just kind of phase out if you're not careful."

Despite being lethargic and lighter in the wallet, Kemp is proclaiming his new war on weight a success.

He won't specify what he's doing to lose weight. As for how much he's lost, he'd only say "a lot."

"It's the best physically I've felt in over two years. No doubt about it," he said. "I may have to take some more vitamins, things like that, to replace some things in my body."

Dunleavy said Kemp has made progress.

"I think he's been working hard of late," Dunleavy said. "We've seen some progress in his conditioning and he's losing some weight. He hasn't really had any real setbacks. I think it's paying off for him."

Portland acquired Kemp from Cleveland last summer in a three-team deal that sent Brian Grant from Portland to Miami. He's been a disappointment for the Blazers, averaging 7.6 points, 4.0 rebounds and 17.9 minutes, his lowest productivity since his rookie season with Seattle in 1989-90.

Kemp's weight continues to affect his mobility; he is tentative on offense, rarely taking the ball to the basket, and on defense he's constantly in foul trouble.

He said part of the problem is adjusting back to the style of play in the Western Conference after three seasons in the East.

"It's such a fast-paced game. If you want to be a part of it, you've got to be able to get up and down the floor," said Kemp, who is making $11.7 million this season. "It's not always an easy adjustment. But once you do it, you feel better about yourself, like you gave yourself the very best chance.

"That's what I'm trying to do -- give myself the very best chance to help us at the end of the season. I'm headed in the right direction, no doubt about it."

------------------
    "Its a good thing they don't make posters of European players"

-Walt Williams after getting "posterized" by Zan Tabak .

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think the Cavs were fining Kemp for not eating too - that's where all the problems started [​IMG]

Seriously, what are the Blazers doing with such a ridiculously overpaid roster? Is Dunleavy going to quit as coach if they don't win it all this year? Or will "trader" Bob quit so he doesn't have to try and rebuild with the millstones around the neck of the franchise in the forms of the contracts of Pippen, Stoudamire and Kemp (not to mention Steve Smith and Dale Davis who are still semi-productive).

Should be worth a laugh in years to come [​IMG]

------------------