1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shark Tank

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I believe his full interview at the Longhorn Startup Demo Day was broadcast on Longhorn Network, so check their website or your TV guide for reruns.

He reads at least one paragraph of every email he receives. He has actually invested in startups/businesses after email correspondence (mcuban@gmail.com). Of the 14 startups he saw at UT's Demo Day, he said he would invest in half, and even remarked that the presentations were better than the ones on Shark Tank.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I have a very close friend who worked with Cuban directly for several years at American Airlines Arena. The guy is a legit business man who won't screw people over just to make a buck... and thus he is the only dude on Shark Tank I'd ever team up with for one of my ideas. The others are douche bags.

I hate the Mavs, but have followed Cuban for years. His book is great if you haven't read it (basically a collection of his best blog posts).

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I can see that but the point is it's not quite the verbal contract some are making it out to be.

4. Svpernaut

If you read the disclaimer statements during the credits the sharks and presenters have time to back out. In fact, a past contestant has said only about 50% of deals go through. This blog post has some interesting facts about the show...

http://jason-cochran.com/blog/8-things-you-didnt-know-about-shark-tank/

TL;DR - Sharktank is no different than similar shows, they aren't necessarily held to their verbal agreements.

5. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

He was at UT? Of course he goes during the winter break lol

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Additionally, IIRC, CBS gets 5% equity of your company just to present your company, deal or no deal.

7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Is this show really big in the US or is it just an average viewed?

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

#28 fallenphoenix, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  9. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

It has a bad time slot in the USA - Friday night. However, it gets very good ratings (highest ratings on Friday night by a wide margin).

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly it is one of the more educational shows on TV about business for me.

A Reality show [though some of it maybe embellished] that at least lets you know some things that investors look at.
    Some things about presentations
    Some things about the deal and evaluation

Rocket River

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Love the show. The only complaint I have ever had was I wish they would give more than one "Update" of previous deals made. And I'd like to see some updates of businesses that didn't do well. I know the show isn't interested in showing those businesses but I think it would cool to see where some ideas just flopped and didn't work out like the Shark hoped, and why.

12. Svpernaut

If you dig it, make sure to check out the UK version, which I find to be more informational.

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I haven't watched much Dragon's Den, but my parents think it's much better than the investors on Shark Tank.

Disclaimer: We're British, so we might be a bit bias :grin:

14. GIGO

GIGO Member

A memorable segment from this season of Dragons Den.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z9M7MJ9Obto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Svpernaut

Nice clip. I dig the Dragons Den more than Shark Tank, always have.