1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shari's Berries is a ripoff!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, May 6, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So I saw an ad here on clutchfans and decided to send some to my wife for mother's day. She loves chocolate covered/iced/etc. strawberries and gets a kick out of things being sent to the office every now and then.

Go to the website, pick the dozen mother's day special with 15% off. Still $30 but I'm like eh, she'll get a kick out of it. No big deal. Add the note card and pick delivery for Friday before 6pm.

Total? $80.

Are you kidding me? $80 for 12 strawberries to get delivered? Dang man! I can go buy some at Whole Foods and have a courier deliver it for way less!

Pricing is something like:
    Shipping: $15
    Friday Shipping: $5
    Before 6pm Shipping: $15

Almost $50 bucks just in shipping. Good grief!

2. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

That is kind of how they get you with flowers. Except you can't eat flowers. :(

3. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

That is how all of those sites are unfortunately. I ordered my then GF flowers for Valentine's Day from Ava's Flowers (I didn't want to use teleflora). They never got delivered, they had listed my delivery date as the 15th but charged me over $50 in shipping because I selected the 14th. It took 28 phone calls and 2 hours on hold for me to get it straightened out and for me to get a refund. They kept hanging up on me and transferring me around. I have never had such a bad experience as a customer.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

$80 for some flowers must be pretty tasty.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Says you...

6. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree, anything like that is a ripoff, you just have to cut back any way you can. Last time I sent my wife flowers, I combined a Groupon with a cash back site. Right now there's a Groupon for Shari's Berries, $15 for $30 worth of stuff.

1. Use Discover or UPromise to get 5% back @ Groupon (saved $.75)
    2. Buy the $30 Groupon for $15 Link (saved $15)
    3. Combine this with the 15% off code (saved 15% of remaining balance)

Other than using a cash back credit card and sending during the week, I'm not sure what else to do. But yeah, those places are total ripoffs....or at least...the shipping is. It's the thought that counts!!

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Rookie move.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a personal rule, anybody that spends that much money on advertising Is either making it up spreading costs in volume sales in the backend (McDonalds), or more likely a total rip off In order to pay for all those ads and still turn a profit.

Wallpapering TV, radio, and other media with your ads isn't cheap.

9. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Not to mention every single podcast during the month of May and early February.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Canceling my order.

11. justtxyank

Nah, I didn't end up going through with it.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I made the same mistake one time. Like you say, it would be way cheaper to find a place like HEB that dips their own strawberries, pay 20% of what Shari's Berries charges and then just pay a courier to deliver it to her work if you really want to go that route.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sounds like Shari has got somebody by the berries!

1 person likes this.
  14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hear those commercials all the time. They always say the low price and then add "plus shipping and handling" as if it's totally inconsequential.

Any time I hear that last part, I'm skeptical...

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

People must find it hard to buy strawberries and chocolate. Then, melt chocolate and dip strawberries in chocolate. That melted chocolate runs all over. ;)

These ads have been everywhere for this Mother's Day. It starts to wear you down. But, not gonna do it!!! It's bad!!! Not at this juncture!!!

16. justtxyank

They even charge for the card. Not a full size card, just the little tag that they attach with your short message. It's $3 bucks extra.

Dang Shari! Can't even spell your name right yet you're all up in my wallet!

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I wonder what would happen if on Father's day, I opened a site/service company called "Larry's Berries" So big and juicy, waiting to explode in your mouth with full flavor! Order yours today! Not sure it'd go over too well.

So yeah, I figured anything where they offer tv promo codes for discounts off is a scam/ripoff site. Usually those things are over priced to begin with especially when they just give out discount codes for free (smart marketing tbh).

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IqjIBlJ7YN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. conquistador#11

you can never go wrong with cupcakes!

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

pugsly where have you been? been a minute... Post some more good deals ;)

1 person likes this.