1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq's stupidity rubbing off on Kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dr of Dunk, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Somebody explain this one to me. When asked if he would participate in future dunk competitions, Kobe responded by saying :

"Not particularly the Slam Dunk contest -- I think I'm too old right now," said Bryant, who is all of 22 years old. "Maybe down the road."

Um... what, is he going to get younger down the road? I miss Jordan... at least he seemed intelligent.

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

See what happens when you don't go to college?

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Dr,

Maybe you should get his college grad buddy Shaq around to explain to him as time goes by you get older not younger....

Smeg

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

4. Summer Song Giver

Kobes obviously got a case of "Mork Syndrome"

------------------

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

what a dumb ass [​IMG] why doesnt he just admit that he is too big a p***y to risk losing to our boy Francis [​IMG]

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    Strowshow has gone way beyond the point of SUCKINESS!

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Kobe is naturally stupid. Shaq is smarter than people give him credit for, he just likes to have fun with the media, hence: The Big Aristotle. He even once called himself: The Big Dummy. Just because the man is a poor actor/rapper, doesn't mean he is an idiot. Kobe is the one with a few brain cells missing. "This is my team". Yeah, sure it is Kobe. That's why it was YOU who won the MVP award in the finals.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Kobe lost me when he DISSED the kids at the All Star Game

'Yea . . .I got dap from everyone . . BUT KOBE!'
    -kids at the allstar game

Rocket River

------------------

8. Steve_Francis_rules

He could have meant he feels really old right now. Of course, it was still a stupid thing to say. I think Shaq and kobe are both idiots.

------------------
    Someone who is about to admonish another must realize within himself five qualities before doing so (that he may be able to say), thus:
    In due season will I speak, not out of season. In truth will I speak, not in falsehood. Gently will I speak, not harshly. To his profit will I speak, not to his loss. With kindly intent will I speak, not in anger. -from the Vinaya Pitaka

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think they are learning from the best - PHIL JACKASS! [​IMG]

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    Strowshow has gone way beyond the point of SUCKINESS!

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I wouldn't call Shaq or Kobe an idiot(hey he knew who Aristotle was), but neither is even close to being a scholar.

I have heard Kobe was very intelligent. I know for a fact he can speak like 3 languages.

Did anyone else see when shaq was asked to analyze the game, and replied,"Analyze? Whats that?"

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

11. Steve_Francis_rules

Shaq obviously didn't have too much of an idea who aristotle was, because shaq is far from being any type of philosopher.
    And kobe has to be able to speak at least two languages because he grew up in another country and didn't have much of a choice about learning italian if he wanted to ever communicate.

------------------
    Someone who is about to admonish another must realize within himself five qualities before doing so (that he may be able to say), thus:
    In due season will I speak, not out of season. In truth will I speak, not in falsehood. Gently will I speak, not harshly. To his profit will I speak, not to his loss. With kindly intent will I speak, not in anger. -from the Vinaya Pitaka

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Yeah i never could figure out why he called himself that, but he did know who Aristotle was.

Kobe knows English, Italian, Spanish, and one more language.

German, I believe.

IMO anyone who is able to learn 4 languages is quite intellgient.

But i did hear that a former Prime Minister of India knew over 25 languages. Now thats impresssive.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The Aristotle thing was a quote that referred to sustained excellence I believe. Shaq is a lot smarter than he lets on, every once in a while he lets something slip that seems smarter than you would expect.

Of course, if they keep fighting over shots then you could call their common sense into question.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

¿Que Pasa?
    Wow! I know two languages now!

Hearing him speak, he seems to have trouble speaking his native language, English.

Just because you know a few words in another language does not mean you can speak it!

------------------
    its all good and fun till someone gets hurt ... then its absolutely hilarious!

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's fluent in Italian as well, since he lived there. Cynthia Cooper is as well. He appeared to know more than a few words.

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Knowing multiple languages is not that big a deal. I don't think it is a matter of intelligence at all, just opportunity and application. He's had to learn a lot of languages from living abroad. And he's done it since he was little (that makes it a lot easier). It shows that he doesn't have some kind of learning disability, but I don't think it means he's smart. Btw, from all the multilingual people I know, I get the distinct impression that they are ready to claim fluency very quickly even if they don't have firm control of the language. Can you ask for a bathroom in Germany? Good, you speak German then.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    Gafford Art
    Artisan

17. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I know for a fact that Kobe is legitemately fluent in Italian and as I remember reading he grew up in Europe, I wouldn't be suprised if he exercised a great deal of ability in another language, as education over there tends to put an emphasis on multi-linguism and the close proximity of countries increases exposure to the various tongues of the land. Kinda like Spanish and Houston -- I'm sure everyone knows some.

Juan --

I'd like to see how long you'd last in one of my Greek classes? Or Italian? Howabout Chinese? I can tell you first hand language learning is an extremely difficult and extremely long process.

BTW, I though intelligence and application were directly correlated?

------------------
    Hey now, Hey now, don't Dream it's over...

[This message has been edited by Stone Cold Hakeem (edited February 14, 2001).]

18. JuanValdez

Stone Cold, I know what you're talking about. Here's a relevant bio tidbit about me: I attended Awty International School (any classmates here?) for Junior High and High School. I spent the Junior High part in the French section, where all my classes except English and Math (I had 2 math classes, one in French and one in English) were completely in French. Incidentally, I also took Spanish, Greek and Latin in French. In High School, I switched to the American section and spent only 2 hours or so in French class each day.

I didn't know a lick of French before I started this thing; and my French is mediocre now. It was very hard for me to learn. Maybe that's why I want to say it isn't about intelligence. But this is what I think kept me from learning as well as, say, my Italian classmate who started with as much knowledge of French as me but already spoke 4 other languages:

1) I was only half-immersed in the langauge. This is what I meant when I said opportunity. When Kobe lived in Italy, he had Italian spokem around him a lot. I had it during classes, but all my friends spoke English.

2) Another opportunity: I didn't start until I was 11. As I understand it, Kobe spent his whole childhood abroad. Language is learned when you're very young and your ability to learn languages decreases as you get older.

3) Application: I was a lazy, lazy student. It was the mantra of all my teachers: If you'd apply yourself.... But I didn't want to learn other languages and resisted it like hell. Kobe may have been lazy too; I don't know.

I'm not trying to compete with Kobe on languages because he obviously has me beat. At the very least, he speaks better Italian than I speak French, I'm sure (though I bet my English is better than his [​IMG] ). I'm just saying, first, that I know precisely how hard it is to learn a language, and second, that it requires work not intelligence.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    Gafford Art
    Artisan

19. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Though I have very little to relate to the foreign languages argument, I find the initial argument of this thread a rather weak one. So Kobe said something stupid--I don't know if any of us have looked around the NBA lately, but players are CONSTANTLY saying something stupid. Not to say we shouldn't point it out--it creates a rather light side of the player we can all laugh at for a second--but I don't think it gives us the right to declare someone "naturally stupid" or anything like that.

If a Grizzlies fan were to come on OUR board (imagine that [​IMG]) and quote Steve Francis saying something stupid, what is the first thing we would say? Exactly. We would quickly point out the fact that players say stupid things all the time, and that a Grizzlies fan should have no right to say anything about it. After all, their record is far inferior to ours, and their team is in no way better than ours. Well, I can draw a couple of similarities out of this...

We would then look for a Grizzlies player that has said something stupid recently. Perhaps we would choose one of their overpaid centers and that he said that he promised to "lead the league in rebounding." Or maybe we would choose one of their second-year guards who said that he could score thirty points in one quarter if he wanted to, yet has never accomplished that feat. Wait a minute...

My intention here is not to discredit Steve Francis or Kelvin Cato by any stretch (well, maybe Kelvin Cato [​IMG]). But really, how much do we need to HATE these guys? Now, about Kobe dissing those kids at the all-star game...I didn't see it, but I WILL concede that one easily. That's whack, and ridiculous. I can't imagine him doing it on purpose because he is in the national spotlight so often, but regardless, that shouldn't have happened.

To play in the NBA, you don't need to be very bright at all. Karl Malone is living proof. [​IMG]

Just my $0.02. [​IMG]

------------------
    Jazzkiller

20. JuanValdez