1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq was handed his degree...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RunninRaven, Dec 21, 2000.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if anyone out there wants to hear this, but I am sick of hearing how Shaq is setting such a good example because he went back and got his degree.

First of all, if getting his degree was truly important to him, he would have done it before declaring for the draft.

Second of all, it is more than obvious that Shaq does not have the mental capacity to do well enough in college to acquire a degree in anything.

The guy runs up and down the court with his mouth open, like he is waiting for someone to put a twinkie in it. He has been blessed with a huge body that is also highly mobile and coordinated, so he can run over and through other players to get his stats rather than actually playing true, graceful basketball.

In addition to all of this, sometimes I would swear that Shaq is mentally and emotionally brain-dead. Regardless of what happens on the court, he almost always has the same expression on his face, an expression that, despite its blankness, seems to convey his total and complete lack of interest in what he is doing. It is almost as if he is a trained dog, who is just out there to do what he is told.

Now I know to some coaches this is a golden quality, but to me it is detestable. He doesn't seem to give one rat's ass about what he is doing.

And to get back to his degree, i understand that it is still a good gesture to let kids know exactly what is important, but I still maintain that he does not deserve it, and did not earn it.

<By the way, in case you haven't noticed, I am not a Shaq fan>

------------------
    She hates testicles, thus limiting the men she can admire to Democratic
    candidates for president.
    -- John Greenway, "The American Tradition", on feminist
    Elizabeth Gould Davis

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Hey I hate Shaq as much as anyone! But come on, give the guy some credit. Getting a college degree is setting a good example for kids. How do u know he doesn't deserve it? He might look stupid and say stupid things like how he is the Big Aristotle. But you are not going to hear about Shaq getting into trouble with the law or any of that kind of crap. People might hate him, but I would do anything to have him on the Rockets [​IMG]!!!!!!!

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    RoyDElton - is a SHEEPSUCKER!

3. beauford

beauford Member

I like Shaq:

One, he does have skills---and he was fortunate to be born with size... and I don't understand why people rag on him by saying "oh, he dominates because of his size.." of course he does! And not everyone who's big can make it in the NBA.

Two, with his big size, he has to learn self control or he'll just go beserk with the amount of fouls he has to put with.. that's why he's stoic on the court and "run up and down with that blank look".

Shaq has heart even tho you don't often hear about it, but he does a lot of stuff for his community.

Even tho he might not be the smartest guy.. people are born with different gifts... he has the physical talent.. but at least he tries and read and get up to speed on the Internet and learn.. so I think that's admirable.

------------------

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I don't care that much for Shaq (or Kobe or Phil or the Faker$ organization). But for a professional athlete to return and get a degree in ANYTHING sends a positive message to our young people. When you already have all the money you could spend in a lifetime and still value education - that speaks volumes about character.

RRaven,
    I generally agree with most of your posts, but would like to caution you against using obvious physical attributes as pre-conditions of intelligence. I could digitally remove the face of Larry from the 3 Stooges movies and replace it with Albert Einstein's. If you had not seen the Stooges before, you might buy into it. I worked in aerospace for many years and saw engineers that I wondered how they tied their shoes, but what went on inside that persons mind often amazed me.

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited December 21, 2000).]

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

There are plenty of athletes who leave school early and don't get their degrees. I wish Hakeem would go back and get his diploma from UH. I don't like it when players are called "alums" of schools they never graduated from.

------------------
    "Thirty-seven?" -Randall, Clerks
    www.clutchtown.com

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm sure if they were throwing that money at you Raven, you'd just ignore it and stay in school to get your meaningless degree anyway. And judging by your idiotic signature, I could probably make a lot of assumptions about your brain capacity as well.

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited December 21, 2000).]

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was a Shaq Basher
    in recent times I've grown fond of him

his 'Quotes' are funny
    HONESTLY i don't think he takes them
    half as seriously as some media types
    and fans

As for the RESPECT to if he had stayed

hhmmm Pass up over 150 Million
    for a peice of paper that is 'pose to
    help you get a good job?
    DUH!?

For every Tim Duncan
    their are many Porters [Stayed and his stock dropped]
    or worse. . . got injured

Never pass up your passion
    for something that MIGHT happen

That is like Saying Bill Gates should
    have finished at Harvard before starting Microsoft . . . Never hear anyone say that

CARPE DIEM!!!!

Rocket River

------------------

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, I must apologize for making assumptions about Shaq's intelligence by judging his appearance. I did forget to mention that the man has had some truly awful quotes throughout his time. For all I know, Shaq might be a very brilliant man, I concede this point. My main problem with his facial expression is that he seems to lack passion, almost as if he does not care. But let's forget this discussion, because I realize it is pointless, and should not have even brought it up. For this I am sorry.

I got a bit carried away with this rant. My main point is this.

I am not saying that it is a bad thing that Shaq went back and got his degree. I completely agree that it does send a good message to the younger kids. My biggest problem is people who keep trying to make it sound as if it is a big accomplishment for Shaq. For one, do you really think that LSU would have failed Shaq if he had done poorly? Shaquille O'Neal? No way they would have. I just feel should make less of a big deal out of the accomplishment and more about the statement.

And by the way RocketMan95, I am not a political person. I stayed completely out of the whole election discussion. My signature is was it is because I found the quote to be quite hilarious, regardless of political party. In this sense, my signature is no less funny than yours, and certainly no more tasteless.

------------------
    She hates testicles, thus limiting the men she can admire to Democratic
    candidates for president.
    -- John Greenway, "The American Tradition", on feminist
    Elizabeth Gould Davis

[This message has been edited by RunninRaven (edited December 21, 2000).]

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Nope. He left school early and never came back to finish. I'm not sure if Clyde got his degree like he planned to when he went back to UH to coach, but I know Dream never did. It would be a good message to a school with a less-than-stellar graduation rate.

------------------
    "Thirty-seven?" -Randall, Clerks
    www.clutchtown.com

11. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

EDIT: I was about to rebuke RunninRaven's original post, but after reading his latest posts I'll retract what I was about to originally say now that his stance is clearer. But one thing...

It's an accomplishment regardless, and I'm happy for him.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cold Hard (edited December 21, 2000).]