1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq straight up verbally assassinates Scottie Pippen.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Jul 29, 2015.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I was thinking about your comments on Shaq's flawed PnR defense. Did that contribute at all to the Lakers getting swept by the Jazz those couple times in the late 90's? Nobody did the PnR like the Jazz. I was so shocked by those series.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes.

Shaq could be a good/great defender, in the paint, one on one... at times.

But PnR defense was probably the entire worst aspect of his game, maybe behind free throw shooting.

Here's some more comments on that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1lsfp9/how_good_was_prime_shaq_on_defense/

And if I haven't said it enough... he'd still be crazy dominant.

But just consider how much PnR is used these days....

3. dream2franchise

See...I'm more about pumping up Pippen's credentials as a player since it makes Jordan look less God-like.

Pippen, -the player- is an all-time great wing defender and just an all-around great player. Taking his team to 55 wins and the semi-finals after MJ got suspended is no joke, who was even starting in MJ's place?

Sure the next season Chicago didn't do as well, but perhaps if he had a wing scorer to compliment his game, a Jordan-lite perhaps, then we could see what he could've done.

We never got a glimpse of Jordan without Pippen except for part of a season in the late 90's, from memory the Bulls record wasn't crash hot.

What he did to Houston was damn bush-league, and I'm not a fan at all, but let's not discredit what he meant to that Bulls team. I'm not going to sit here and pretend Jordan did everything on his own. Those second three-peat teams were stacked and extremely well coached.

Shaq, he's an all-time top 10 player and a top 5 center of all-time. This isn't even debatable, right? His insecurity is working against him in his retirement though and he comes across as a constantly negative person with stuff like this.