1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq straight up verbally assassinates Scottie Pippen.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Jul 29, 2015.

1. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Do people put Shaq in the top 10 players of all time or is he talking about top 10 at their respective position?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

In regards to impact on the game, he is definitely top 10 all time. His game wasn't pretty but he impacted the game like only MJ, Lebron, Magic, Bird, Kareem and Wilt could.

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

By Shaq's logic, as main, main factor he has 3 rings, kobe has 2 and pippen has 0...

4. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

You forgot HAKEEM OLAJUWON on that list...hope that was an accident.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Since most would agree Kobe is an all-time top 5 and Shaq is not, then going by Shaq's logic Kobe is the greater player and the reason for all the Lakers championships. Therefore, Shaq should STFU and go home and polish his 3 rings playing second fiddle to an all-time great.

Shaq is immensely talented at the art of stupidity.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This.

Shaq is a dip****, but since he's talking about Snottie Quitten, I support him in this instance.

7. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Who is this "most"? I would say there's a pretty broad consensus that the all-time top 5 includes 5 of the following 6: Jordan, Russell, Wilt, Magic, Bird, Kareem, with Lebron likely to join if he finishes his career healthy.

Kobe might have surpassed Shaq on longevity, but not on efficiency. I'd say they're pretty close to equals.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Deymmmmmmmmmm. He verbally assassinated the 550's.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Kobe isn't even in the top 25. Kobe has barely made the playoffs without a dominant front court.

10. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

What? Shaq's logic is that you have to be the main on a championship squad. The primary impact player for the winning team, like Jordan, Hakeem, Shaq (for the lakers' 1st threepeat), Or Iggy.

By that logic Kobe < Shaq because Kobe had 2 FMVPs but Shaq has 3.

11. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

kobe isn't even close to being in the top 15

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

As obnoxious and fool-hearted Shaq is, he does have mild point. Shaq for most of his career was the main guy on his team and the unstoppable force in the paint.

Pippen was an excellent above average player, but I doubt he was guy that could lead a franchise for 5 - 10 years. He wasn't in the league of say LeBron or Durant. The moment got too big for Pippen at times, while he had chemistry issues.

13. datboidavid

datboidavid Member

The only thing that Shaq added to the TNT show worth anything is Shaqin a Fool. That segment is hilarious. I don't think it needed to be Shaq per say.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Shaq >>>>> SNOTTIE QUITTEN

Rocket River

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The consistent focus on offense, and not the balance between offense/defense, by fans, media and players themselves is crazy.

Hakeem is a better player than Shaq. Why? Because he was a much better defender. Shaq was a more productive scorer for sure, but if I had to get one basket I'd rather have Hakeem - can hit free throws, didn't require being within 5-10 feet of the basket when getting the ball to score. Even without offense, though, you take Hakeem... dude led the league in defensive rating 5 straight seasons at one point.

This is why Draymond Green types are so sought after these days. Shaq, in today's era, for example, would be a lesser player. Still dominant, but you'd basically constantly put him in pick and roll situations, with guards/ballhandlers who are simply better and/or bigger creators than they were in Shaq's prime. Someone like Hakeem you'd just switch the PnR and be ok.

That said, wrt the Shaq/Pippen feud,
    1. Shaq is dumb. He's painful to watch on TNT, and annoying on social media (from what I see).

2. More rings is more rings. Scottie has more, and it's not like he was Steve Kerr out there contributing but not as a key key piece. He was the #2 guy.... to the greatest player ever. Without that greatest player ever a Pippen led team still almost made the Finals in an East that was stacked.

3. The greatest 5 from the Lakers and Bulls is closer than Shaq thinks. Yes, it's still in the Lakers favor, but when you can roll out MJ, Pippen, and Rodman, all three of whom are among the greatest, if not the greatest defenders at their positions of all time, you have a fighting chance. Add Rose (before injuries) at PG and Artis Gilmore at center (hard to tell how he'd do against the likes of a Shaq, but his time overlapped Kareem, and at 35 years old in 84/85 he played 34 mpg, put up 20 and 10, with over 2 blocks a game... a VERY GOOD, hall of fame center)... and you have a CRAZY GOOD starting 5. On paper, it doesn't seem like it could hold up to the Lakers starting 5, but I wouldn't be surprised if that Bulls squad ended up being better.

Rose, MJ, Pippen, Rodman, Gilmore vs.
    Magic, Kobe, Baylor, Shaq, Kareem

is a very close series. It's interesting that Shaq doesn't include Gilmore as part of the Bulls top 5, and instead has Horace Grant... which is moronic.

4. I hate Pippen for his time on the Rockets. But he's now become underrated. He could guard 5 positions. In his year without MJ he was a true MVP candidate (though not better than Hakeem!). Capable scorer, whose averages and % went up without MJ. Didn't have a lot of "flaws". Shaq is clearly the better, more dominant player... but across different era's, in different situations, etc. Pippen's versatility holds more value. He could play inside and outside, defend all positions, switch pick and rolls, etc. Whereas a guy like Shaq would be a lesser player in today's NBA, a guy like Pippen would definitely hold the same value but probably hold even more value in today's NBA. And if he grew up in a 3 point era and had a 37% three point % throughout his career as he did in his best seasons, he'd be crazy good today.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Trump/Shaq 2016

1 person likes this.
  17. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Comparing Scottie to Mase was the biggest insult of them all, in my opinion (and the funniest). Mase was AWFUL. I am no fan of Puffy, but Puffy is definitely the more talented one.

Mase walked away to become a preacher...

18. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

That fall he took during the playoffs was one of the funniest things I'd seen all year.:grin::grin:

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL.

This can be billed as the GOP ticket: Grumpy Obnoxious Petty

Pippen is on top of my most hated players list. But Shaq is just too childish.

20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

This is ridicolous.