1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq says Ming's the best center in Texas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by okuseinde, Nov 20, 2002.

1. okuseinde

okuseinde Member

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

could you post it over here. I don't feel like registering.

3. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Notebook: Jackson has no luck muffling yakety Shaq
    After coach says he talks too much, O'Neal tears down Bradley

11/20/2002

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

After a Tuesday morning workout in the Mavericks' weight room, Shaquille O'Neal was asked when he expected to finally get back on the court after off-season toe surgery.

His response was somewhat ominous.

"I'll be back soon," he said.

He was wearing that mischievous grin when he said it. You couldn't help but wonder if "soon" meant Tuesday night in the Shaquillian dictionary.

The Mavericks didn't have to worry. O'Neal was nowhere to be seen, missing his 11th game.

He plans to return Friday against Chicago.

"He still has some swelling and tenderness around that toe and it may be a long season for him in that respect," coach Phil Jackson said. "We want him to be well when he gets back with us. [We're not worried about] just a game or two."

According to O'Neal, however, Jackson is concerned about O'Neal's public speaking during his absence from the team.

"Phil told me not to talk," O'Neal said upon emerging from the Mavericks' locker room and heading to the Lakers' bus after their shootaround at American Airlines Center. "He said I talk too much. He told me not to talk anymore until I start playing."

That lasted all of a few seconds. O'Neal couldn't resist talking when asked about the Mavericks' new and improved center, Shawn Bradley. O'Neal was asked if Bradley is the best center in Texas now.

"Shawn's the best center?" he said. "Naw, it's Yao Ming."

Then, an hour before the game, O'Neal added: "Am I scared [of Bradley]? No. Shawn's always been a good enough player. But Shawn's true test will be Yao Ming, not me."

And where does O'Neal rate himself these days?

"I'm just a peon from LSU," he said. "I'm nothing."

Tipoff against Rockets moved up to 6:30

Fans are reminded that Thursday's game against Houston will tip off at 6:30 p.m. because it is being televised by TNT.

It's one of 21 games that are being televised nationally, although some of those games also will be carried locally on other channels.

Owner Mark Cuban lamented that although nationally televised games are good exposure for the team, they aren't good for the bottom line.

"I've lost $2 ½ or $3 million this year alone by being on national TV," Cuban said. "Because that's money you don't get from your local [TV] package. That's NBA economics. The worse of a team you are, the more money you make."

Briefly...

Evan Eschmeyer had successful arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Tuesday. He is expected to miss four to six weeks. Dr. T.O. Souryal performed the procedure, which repaired damaged cartilage in the knee. The 6-11 center had sat out seven games because of soreness in the knee.

Nick Van Exel is getting around well, and the right knee on which he had arthroscopic surgery Nov. 11 is responding well to therapy. "It's going to be sooner than expected," Van Exel said of his return. "It went real good. It won't be long [before he's back]." However, he added: "They don't need me. They got enough players right now."

Coach Don Nelson was asked about the impact O'Neal's absence is having on the Western Conference race.

"It [the long-term impact of O'Neal] depends on what he's doing on the treadmill," he said. "He might be doing an hour a day on the treadmill. But if you are lucky enough to play them without Shaq, that's an advantage if you can win the game."

E-mail esefko@dallasnews.com

4. prlen

prlen Member

shaq just love this kid .hahaha

5. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Here's the best section:

6. prlen

prlen Member

poor shaq
    why did that?

if u touch the toe of shaq.
    shaq : " YAO "

#6 prlen, Nov 20, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2002
  7. Toast

Toast Member

I can think of two players in San Antonio who would be offended by Shaq's statement.

8. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I agree but that is Shaq taking a shot at SA.

Yao is not as good as the mermaid..err..I mean the admiral but may be as effective in the future.

Yao may never be as good as Tim.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

but Timmy D isnt a center now is he?

and I think you are right...its just a slam at the Mantis and the Mermaid..

pretty funny tho..

standard Shaq-speak

10. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Since when has Eddie Sefko been writing for the Dallas Morning News? That b*stard! I thought he was a Rockets man, but I guess I was wrong...sellout!

11. JLB

JLB Member

Nothing personal but some would say your a sellout:D
    Edit: Sorry Dallas. Found out in another post that Dallas is your name. That is what I get for trying to be funny. But my one liner still stands;) Anyone from Compaq center(Can I get a drum roll PLEASE)

Shouldn't Phil Jackson heed is own words:confused:

#11 JLB, Nov 20, 2002
  12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Shaq loves Ming's game and him as a player I agree, but he sure hates Robinson something fierce, and he isn't to fond of Bradley either.

#12 RocksMillenium, Nov 20, 2002
  13. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I don't know- I hate to say it, but right now I'd take David Robinson over Ming. Ming would definitely be the best center in TX if he got Robinson's minutes, but Rudy is stubborn. But I do think Ming is already a top 5 center if you based his averages on a 48 min/game basis.

14. prlen

prlen Member

never????
    funny

15. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I just found that to be a bit ironic coming from Phil.
    :p

Well, other than Hakeem I think Ming is the only other center he's respected during this generation.

16. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Shaq can't help but respect Yao cause Yao gives him a lot of respect. Not to mention the fact that Yao is a truly gifted big man himself.

17. Mick

Mick Contributing Member

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that Shaq's comments were dripping with sarcasm.

In spite of Shaq's dislike for the admiral, I think that he is also making light of the fact that Ming is getting so much attention and has been deemed by some to be the new/future Shaq stopper. I think he saw this as an opportunity to make fun of the Ming fanfare and get in a back-handed shot at Robinson as well. His baby feelings have been hurt by the attention Ming has been getting.

Just my take.

18. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

That's the exact impression I got.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I have a hard time believing that the team loses 3 million dollars for playing this game. I imagine they get some pretty good kick backs. Jersey replica sales etc. from being on nationally. I doubt that Cuban is telling the whole truth.

20. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Me too. I think Shaq was being sarcastic, guys.