1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq on Dream

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kid Rock-et, Jun 16, 2000.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

DaDakota,
    I know you did not just say that Shaq is very intelligent!?!?!? Tell me I read that wrong...tell me you were joking....tell me somethin' good!!

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hoop T,

Watch him closely, he is toying with the Media most of the time. He is just a big kid having fun.

When he get introspective, he comes off as rather intelligent.

I think he is just having a laugh at the press' expense.

DaDakota

------------------

3. payaso

payaso Member

was it Rocket River who asked what sort of name is Costas?
    he's a native New Yorker... so I guess he could be Italian, Greek, Lithuanian, whatever... my guess is Greek.
    where's he going? this guy seems to know... http://www.cyberdrive.net/~eschmidt/cost.html
    say hello to mini-Costas next time you call 610... right Charlie?
    ------------------
    "We have no eternal
    allies and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and
    perpetual."

[This message has been edited by payaso (edited June 19, 2000).]

4. OT

OT Member

Were did the original quote that started this thread come from??

------------------

5. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

DaDakota:

Not that you need it, but I got your back on this one. When you see Shaq quoted out of context, he might not come across as incredibly smart and/or seem like he just spews sports cliches. But if you actually watch him when he talks to reporters (something that, since I live in LA, seems to be on TV 24 freaking hours a day), you can tell that he's totally messing with them. Sometimes he'll slip out of the monotone and break into that huge grin when he's doing it. No good examples spring to mind, but check him out sometime if you can catch him talking in the locker room to a group of reporters (not a stupid courtside interview with Ahmad).

Remember the the character he played in Blue Chips? The one who bombed his SATs because, according to him they were "culturally biased", and then aced the test only after his tutor put some money on it? That wasn't too far off from the big guy's real-life persona ... i.e. much smarter than he's letting on ...

If nothing else, the nice things he says about Hakeem prove he's not a total moron. [​IMG]

I'm still rooting against the Laker$, though.

------------------

[This message has been edited by wrath_of_khan (edited June 19, 2000).]

6. Cougar Brass

Cougar Brass Member

Even though Shaq is a good guy, I don't like him. I know if I was in the NBA and I had his size, I'd have the same lame game he does. I get pissed off at comentators that say he has skill. He doesn't have skill, he has size. It doesn't take alot of talent to back down a guy who is much smaller and dunk the ball or take a two foot shot. I'm 6-2, 200 and can easily post up somebody 5-10, 175 and get an easy shot. It doesn't take any real talent. You know if Shaq was the size of an average center, he'd suck. That is why I don't like Shaq.

------------------

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

i just don't like hearing people say how agile and athletic he is. i'm like ok hakeem was a much better athlete then shaq but they say oh no shaq is the greatest moving center ever and uh uh kobe is better than jordan also.

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

DaDakota, et al,
    I understand your point, and realize you are right, he does toy with the media. But that does not mean he is an intelligent person. He is a better speaker than a lot of other NBA players. He at least represents himself without using too much slang, etc. I do not think he is an intelligent man, however. But I suppose this is all relative to what one thinks intelligent means.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited June 20, 2000).]