1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq may miss a game

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DJ, Apr 18, 2003.

1. DJ

DJ Member

Shaquille O'neal is expected to have a baby boy during the time of game four of the first round playoffs. The Lakers struggle without Shaq, so his absence would certainly be felt. I am sure Shaq wouldn't want to miss any games during the playoffs, but he was quoted as saying: "I want to be the first black man to see my son."

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Family is always more important than a game, or a job.

3. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I didn't know Shaq was pregnant.

Sure would explain the extra weight he carries with him.

4. drapg

drapg Member

I'm curious as to the media and public's reaction if the Lakers lose in 7 to the T-Wolves AND lose the one game that Shaq is absent for.

It would be interesting.

5. drapg

drapg Member

Shaq daddy
    Lakers' star expected to return in time for Game 1
    Posted: Saturday April 19, 2003 5:23 PM

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal's wife gave birth to a baby boy early Saturday, eliminating any chance that the Los Angeles Lakers center might skip a playoff game to witness the birth.

Shaunie O'Neal gave birth to the couple's third child at 1:52 a.m. at a Los Angeles-area hospital, team spokesman John Black said. He did not provide the baby's name or other details.

O'Neal was excused from Saturday's practice. He was scheduled to fly on his own to Minneapolis late Saturday for Sunday's opening game of a first-round playoff series against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

"We're really happy for the delivery of a child and the fact that everything's safe and sound and we can go forward from there," coach Phil Jackson said. "Hopefully he can get to Minneapolis, get some rest and be ready to play the first game. That's a pivotal game for every team."

O'Neal had said he could not rule out missing a game to witness the birth. The due date was April 27, the same day as Game 4 of the best-of-seven series between the Timberwolves and the Lakers.

Teammate Kobe Bryant said he would not be surprised if O'Neal had a big game Sunday despite his expected late arrival in Minneapolis.

"You just roll off the adrenaline," said Bryant, who scored 48 points in a 2001 playoff game at Sacramento after leaving the team to attend to a personal matter.

The birth comes days after the death of O'Neal's maternal grandfather, Sirlester O'Neal. Funeral services are expected to be held this week in South Carolina, Black said. O'Neal is expected to attend.