1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq, Kobe, and Phil... war heating up?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dr of Dunk, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Here's an online blurb from ESPN the Magazine by Ric Bucher that I found interesting... turmoil afoot? Major changes forthcoming? Hrmmm.... nothing like an ego screwing things up. Even Jordan knew when to turn it down for the sake of winning :

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol4no02bucher1.html

----------------------

The One: Part 1
    by Ric Bucher

Whose team is it? Senior writer Ric Bucher spent many days with Kobe, Shaq and Phil, and prepared this story for ESPN The Magazine. Here's an excerpt. Come back Wednesday afternoon for the rest of the story.
    So here we are at the summit with the defending champions, who just happen to have the league's two most dominating players. Only that's not good enough, for either them or us. Which is the most dominant player? Who is the true leader, the more indispensable piece, the proverbial drink-stirring straw? It was undeniably Shaq last season, an honor he waited seven years to claim, an honor he fully expected to enjoy for several seasons to come. But it's no longer his, for one simple reason: Kobe refuses to wait for anything.

Forget the argument about which player the Lakers can less afford to lose. This is about which one captures your attention, your imagination and, yes, your respect, however grudgingly it may be given. It's about a player who has a vision of himself atop the basketball universe and will accept nothing less than that realization. It's Kobe's team; in fact, it's Kobe's league. If and when Shaq and the rest of the Lakers come to grips with that will determine if they can repeat as champions.

"Bottom line, Shaq is going to have to become comfortable with it," says Laker guard Brian Shaw, who goes back to Orlando with O'Neal. "Because Kobe is not going to change, I'll tell you that right now."

Kobe has defied more than logic to get here. He's scaled an entire mountain range of resistance, as much from within the Lakers organization as from any triple-teaming opponent. One week into this season Jackson privately asked him to resume last season's role, letting the offense flow through Shaq and taking over only in the final seconds of a possession or the final minutes of the game.

Kobe's response: "Turn my game down? I need to turn it up. I've improved. How are you going to bottle me up? I'd be better off playing someplace else."

Jackson normally wages public campaigns to get players to do his bidding, but Kobe's veiled threat of a trade demand would have been far too volatile in the court of public opinion. Kobe responded to Jackson's request to pull back by cranking it up -- his average of 16 shots in the first five games jumped to 26 over the next five. But his performance rocketed as well. A string of five games of 31 or more points vaulted him to the top of the league's scoring race. Then came 43 against the Spurs, 38 against the Mavs, 36 against the 76ers -- while forcing The Answer to take 27 shots to score 27 points -- and 51 in 51 minutes in a classic battle with the Warriors' Antawn Jamison.

Finally, after Kobe outdueled Vince 40-31 in a win over Toronto, a Canadian broadcaster declared, "The Lakers were known last year as Shaq's team. Not anymore." Later that same night, the Lakers' victory was discussed by the broadcast crew on ESPN Sunday Night Football. Gushed Joe Theismann about Kobe: "I don't think there's anything he can't do." Not one word was said about Shaq, last year's All-Star, regular-season and Finals MVP.

Shaq is well aware of the shift.

------------------
    "Christ, it's not as if Steve pissed on a guy!!!!!" -- cson makes a return to my quotable sig as he comments on how Steve Francis should not be T'd up for slapping the backboard on a dunk...speak loudly cson, you rock!

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited January 09, 2001).]

2. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I read that one as well. Did you catch the comments on the Rockets in the same issue as well?

To me, this recipe will only result in disaster. I think the Lakers are much more successful when they run their offense through Shaq, rather than Kobe. In addition, players will certainly get peeved with this attitude at one point. Jackson can't take it, and I'm sure he won't hold for much longer.

I'm sure they'll live through this for at least the remaining of the season, but can they really co-exist? For some reason, I always saw Kobe as the type of player who would always score in bunches, but would never amount to anything due to his selfish nature on the court. Maybe it's comparable to the Vince Carter/Tracy McGrady fiasco? And these guys were cousins, for God's sake.

------------------
    Nederland 2002

Rocketman95 on board. Check out his latest game recaps.

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Shaq has matured and grown and has become a great team player and a great player overall. Meanwhile Kobe is as selfish as ever, he wants to be THE MAN! He wants to be Michael. I see Kobe wanting out in a year or two, he just hasn't learned. You can score 40 or 50 points when you're just jacking up shot after shot. If you notice, in those games that he score like that they barely win those games. It's Shaq's team, that's why they have a championship because of his dominance. I always felt that if you had, say, Michael Finley on the Lakers instead of Kobe they would be FAR better, and would be collecting rings. Kobe just doesn't dedicate himself to defending, helping his teammates, and to team play and that will become obvious as the season wears on.

------------------
    "I have a scale at home and it only goes up so far, I love that scale!"
    - Charles Barkley
    TNT Studios

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited January 09, 2001).]