1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shannon Terry on Johnny Manziel via NFL OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cdain3, Mar 11, 2014.

1. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Sorry for the new Johnny Manziel thread but this some interesting stuff.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Board/116/-Inside-tidbits-on-Johnny-Manziel--26433782

2. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

3). Here's the shocker to some degree ... he asked Manziel what he would do in certain scenarios -- based on what the defense was showing. He said that Manziel answered each time, that he didn't know, couldn't answer the question ... and that he wasn't taught the nuances of the QB position A&M. "They just snapped me the ball and wanted me to make a play," was his general response when asked.

This drops him to day 2, automatically.

As I have said before, a GM should get fired fired for picking Johnny in the 1st round

1 person likes this.
  3. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Should make it very easy for the Longhorns to dominant the qb market in Texas.

What qb wants to play for a coaching staff that doesn't teach the basics?

4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

That is a bit alarming. I'm sure they were asking "what would you do / what do you see" in the NFL, not "what did you do / what did you see" while at A&M. I would think he would have figured some of these things out during his training camp leading up to the combine. What were these "QB gurus" teaching him if it wasn't how to read an NFL defense?

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If this guy is legit, then wow. That looks bad.

6. AnHero

AnHero Member

Calling bs on #3. He was breaking down coverages during the National Championship game.

Not to mention he played in the toughest conference playing in the best passing offense. You dont do those things by just getting snapped the ball and making a play.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It looks bad but it also confirms what most of us saw with our own eyes.

The chicken-with-its-head-cut-off offense is cute, but not exactly NFL material.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course there is a play called and of course there is always an initial read on the play. I don't think anyone is honestly saying that they just blindly hiked the ball. What they are saying is that after that first read or two the analytics of his progression and field seeing stops and his improvisation takes over. That's fine on occasion, but seemingly something he relies on too much

There have been Qbs who have played in good conferences and won national titles by not being great readers of coverage. It's not unheard of by any means

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The gimmick QB's are the ones winning titles in college, not Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning. It's guys like Cam Newton who have never heard of cover 2 that wind up sitting down and getting spanked by Gruden in the film room that win games in college. Newton figured it out. Manziel can to. Not saying he will though.

10. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

The reason why Cam figured it out was because he had the physical size to withstand the punishment and the high end arm strength and release to make up for mental lapse

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This isn't surprising. He has read/recognition issues with zone coverages and really anything beyond a two deep man look. I think he can make it, but still needs a couple of years of development. People who make the Wilson comparison sometimes forget that Wilson had 4 years under his belt. Johnny Football is not NFL ready, but I believe in his potential.

12. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Quoted for truth...

I don't know why everyone is so shocked by the OP's #3 comment. Johnny learned from Kliff Kingsbury (wreck 'em), who learned from Cap'n Mike Leach. Have you ever wondered why, even though they stockpile quick, athletic receivers every year, Crabtree is the only former Red Raider receiver to have "made it?" How come none of the record-setting Air Raid guys have been successful in the pros?

The #1 reason for that is they don't run routes or call/learn plays in the traditional sense. The biggest key to the Air Raid Offense is its simplicity... which is why Tech just replaced one record-setting signal caller with a new one almost yearly for a while. Now I'm less familiar with Kliff's version of the Air Raid, but it was no secret that when Leach was coach, there were very few designed routes, if any. They ran 8 - 10 plays varying only the formation. Sometimes they literally ran plays where the object of the receiver was to get to the open spot on the field.

Johnny, I assume, has been nurtured in the same offense. He didn't have to break down a three inch thick playbook... he likely had to learn a miniscule amount of plays compared to even most other spread offense teams.

Just because this probably has to be said, I AM an aggie hater but I really like Johnny Football. I'm 100% torn between him and Bridgewater for 1.1 right now. More than anything, I love his attitude and think it moves him up the board a few pegs... talent aside. I want my QB to be a cocky, hate-to-lose MF'er and Johnny is certainly that (aka the Anti-Schaub).

Can he learn even a variant of an NFL offense? Absolutely. I don't, however, think he'll be ready week 1 of the 2014 season and I worry about his durability (of course).

13. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

So basically Manziel is Case Keenum with wheels????

What I have been saying the entire time lol

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Plus Cam (unlike Jamunchies Russell) discovered the virtues of film study.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Who the F is "Shannon Terry" I should know him? Go snatch a purse, you purse-snatcher. :eek:

^ Name that movie. (Difficulty: easy :cool: )

PieMan2005 answered it and got REP. Carlito's Way :cool:

#15 SwoLy-D, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  16. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Ding Ding Ding

Probably the most important part

17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Maybe this coach was from a team Manziel had no desire to play for

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

looool.. so manziel is sabotaging himself on purpose?

ok, got it

19. Raven

Raven Member

I doubt he said anything like that, because he'd know that it would hurt his draft position.

20. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

There are only two options when you aren't on a job interview and you don't know a specific skill

1. Babble for 10 minutes
    2. Admit that you don't know

Manziel was at least smart enough to admit he didn't know