1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[shane's blog] Goodbye Dikembe Mutombo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, Apr 23, 2009.

1. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

[​IMG]

I returned from Portland today after the long flight home. The spirits of the guys was a little down for two reasons. We knew that we let a game we could have won get away from us and we were also felt really bad for our partner Dikembe Mutombo who tore a tendon in his knee and must now retire from the game of basketball.

First, let's talk about the game. We knew Portland was going to play more aggressively than the first game in which we controlled from the start. We knew that they were going to try to take Yao out of the game as well, by double teaming him and denying him the ball. Our guards Aaron Brooks, Ron Artest, and Von Wafer did a great job of attacking the weak side of their defense which became available because they paid so much attention to Yao. There were 16 lead changes in the game, but ultimately we could not stop Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge who both had big games for them. We feel that the Blazers could not play any better and while we played a solid game, did not play at our best and yet, we still almost won the game. That is the encouraging fact we are taking from game 2.

We are now back home in Houston and excited to play in front of the home crowd. We have played great all year at home and expect to play our best basketball of the series in the next 2 games.

It is with sadness that I talk about Dikembe Mutombo's injury. When he leapt for a rebound in the game, his knee was tangled under Greg Oden, and the stress of the movement tore a tendon in his knee. Deke was in obvious pain, but as much as his knee hurt, the pain of knowing that his had played in his final NBA game hurt more. Deke is one of the great people to put on an NBA uniform. His spirit is undeniable and he always lights up a room as soon as he enters. It is my honor to have called him a great teammate for the last 3 years and I am sad that I will not see Deke wagging his finger after blocking yet another shot. He was the inspirational leader for our team and we will miss him greatly as will the rest of the NBA.

I will talk to you after game 3.

Go Rockets

Shane

LINK

1 person likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

deke you were not supposed to go out like that :(

3. lustdog

lustdog Member

We should re-hire Deke as a cheer leader or a motivational speaker.

4. tsunami

tsunami Member

too expensive. How about 50K / year ?

5. 2012

2012 Member

I'll miss him.
    But face it he's over with bball,and rox needs to find backup C other than Deke.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Him as Asst Big Man Coach behind Jack Sikma
    I think he had a positive effect on YAO, The Rockets and The world!

Rocket River

7. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

It would be so good next game if Mutombo made an appearance and made a motivational speech and then Toyota Center goes wild that would be the best ending for him

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Dikembe's speeches are always wild. Just the way he sounds is great

9. IcemanErik

IcemanErik Member

I really miss D now. His finger is the symbolization of NBA. Thats too bad.

10. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

I hope the Rockets win a championship this year. He will get a ring placed on that wagging finger and would be a nice cap to a memorable career.

11. gatechdude

gatechdude Contributing Member

The power dancers could recruit him...Maybe he could be the next turbo?

12. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

It's hard to be loved by almost everyone, not even MJ or Dream could do that. Deke just does that in his unique way. He's not only loved as a great player, but also or even more as a great human being. Got Deke back in the mid-season did turn our season around, his positive influence in the locker room, on every player is tangible. Wish him get well soon. I would love to see him somewhat involved in the Rockets after he's fully recovered, maybe as an assistant big man coach or defensive coach or something.