1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Battier: A Real Role Model for This Decade, the Next One, and Beyond

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

PLEASE LOCK IF ALREADY POSTED:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-model-of-this-decade-next-decade-and-beyond

Hey kids, y’all want a real role model?

Try the Houston Rockets’ Shane Battier.

Battier is the real deal, and what you see is what you get.

From his days at Duke to his current moments in a Rockets jersey, Battier is the definition of everything good in sports.

After four years under the greatest coach ever in Mike Krzyzewski, Battier has learned to be an all-around athlete on the hardwood, leading by example both on and off the court.

Sorry, Shane, not meaning to put any added pressure on you; but I doubt you mind it.

In fact, when recent news surfaced that TMZ would soon be creating a sports site, Battier could only chuckle.

“That’s the last thing we need as athletes,” Battier told Houston Chronicle writer Jeffrey Martin. “The way I look at it is, people want to have the experience of being an athlete or being a rock star. Being on the inside… That’s what pro sports have sold, be it helmet cams or cameras in the locker room.

"It’s become a very, I think, dangerous thing, trying to mess with the integrity of the sport when you allow too much access. It’s unfortunate – I think it takes from our job, the sports side of it, and it makes more of a reality show.”

Battier is exactly right; just look at the recent Tiger Woods scandal as an example.

But I believe that Shane is honestly different than all those guys.

Shane Battier, in my opinion, is a prime example of who kids should be looking up to.

“It’s the life we choose,” Battier said. “I’m not complaining about it. I love my life. It’s a different era than the Bird-Magic era of the ‘80s when you just played basketball and went home at the end of the night.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself, Shane; keep up the impressive and solid work. It’s great to see a down to earth “celebrity” like yourself showing that there really are good guys to still have as role models in the NBA…

Denton Ramsey may be reached via email at denton.ramsey@gmail.com

2. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Battier, and on an unrelated note, Dikembe Mutumbo, have always been such good role models, both for young people, and for the older generation.

I'm so glad to have had Deke, and still have Battier on this team.

3. Rawkets

Rawkets Member

When I grow up I want to be just like Battier.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Easy to stay down to earth when you have no vertical.

Honestly though, I like Shane. Just not too enamored with him while we have this dearth of offensively-capable swingmen thing going on...

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Shane is personifies what I admire about the Rockets. He is a hard worker, smart and puts his heart into it.

6. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

Battier for President

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Cough.... Cough.... Battier is great... love him.... he's a role model... but isn't interesting he's the center of two big articles right now that are about fluff and came out of thin air? Seems like the Rockets are spinning the ole' PR machine to distract from the T-mac drama.

8. worzel gummidge

Both stories are from Bleacher Report. BR articles are blogs written by fans.

9. SunsRocketsfan

true true. dont forget Yao.. he's a real class act too and so hard working

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

-john mason

What has battier ever won. Kids should aspire to be kobe not shane battier.

One thing I think I have learned is that if you just work hard and be the nice guy you won't get anywhere in life.You got have the killer instinct. The earlier you learn it the more successful you will be at life.

11. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Who wants to have sex with Dikembe?

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

he's won the city of Houston and as I recall numerous honors in his field... he's also the captain of an NBA team and could probably get the prom queen if he didn't have a wife and kids already. A hot wife I might add...

13. tofu--

tofu-- Member

When I grow up I want to be Battier.

14. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

When I grow up, I want to be like Kenyon Martin.

oh ooops, should be in the thug thread.

15. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Wow, rape-police keep an eye out on this one....

I'm not sure Kobe has a "better" life than Shane, just on account of winning championships. Having a good family, loving what you do, having fun every day, having enough money to live comfortably with the right outlook on life, what else do you need?

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth to what you said. Gotta have the killer instinct to win in the NBA. Despite their overwhelming talents, I always had doubts whether 1-11 had it in themselves.

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

For me and you, nothing. For these guys, a ring. Watch Malone or Barkley twist and turn when they are asked about not winning the big one...

18. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I think Yao and Shane rank as the top guys for me in terms of, "athletes that would surprised me most if they had a Tiger-esque sex scandal"

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

this one lost me at Greatest coach ever in Coach K...