1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Shams) Rockets sign Gary Clark to 3 year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 6, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not according to ESPN insider. BimaThug can clear the information out for us.

2. saleem

@BimaThug Can Gary Clark be traded by himself or with other players by February 7th?

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I wondered this too a few weeks ago. He can’t be traded until 3 months after he signed, which means he can’t be traded.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Did they really have to put in all those illogical conditions for a $1.4m guarantee in a couple of years? Jesus.

BasketMAD, Little Bit and saleem like this.
  5. saleem

DM and TF put unnecessary conditions. A player has to prove his worth but they need to feel free to do their best.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I'm all for a GM squeezing out every ounce of production from the players, but this strikes me as more of a cheapskate move than I've ever seen in NBA history. Not our proudest moment.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the conditions on this contract are strange and way out there to say the least. sometimes i feel like morey does this kind of crazy ish just to see if he can get away with it :D

Nook and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You think he gets off on this stuff? hahaha

Louka likes this.
  9. basketballholic

We could in essence "trade" Clark to the Cavaliers since they have the worst record and they have a traded player exception available from the DWade trade.

Would work like this. We negotiate a trade with the Cavs that requires us to waive a player because we need the roster spot, say one for two or two for three player deal. We waive Clark to complete trade. Cavs subsequently claim Clark using their TPE(since he isn't on a minimum salary deal) since they are the team with the worst record. We essentially gift them Clark to complete a trade.

Incidentally, I would do this, waive Clark, if I could move Knight and get back JR Smith's contract....without having to give up a first.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

When signed, we were 11-13 and roughly 14th seed.

I'm now wondering if Clark's agent got the "Well, what if y'all don't make the playoffs" language into that..."what then".

disrespekt to Harden

saleem, Mathloom and Nook like this.
  11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

dunno what the rockets like about this guy, he should be traded along with MCW

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

[​IMG] People have such short memories. I’m still a Clark fan. Good length for a SF, high defensive bball IQ. The shot just needs to get more consistent, but give him credit everything was going in in preseason.

Marlo squad for life.

D-rock, Sajan, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No. @Zoplicone already answered this, I see.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  14. saleem

I believe he is a small PF. I like him. I assumed he had a standard guaranteed contract. Clark is a tough guy, but his contract conditions would obviously cause any player to have concerns. No one can play freely this way.

D-rock likes this.
  15. biff17

biff17 Member

What are you talking about?

He is lucky have any guaranteed money, he initially only had a two way deal.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. biff17

biff17 Member

What are you talking about?

He is lucky have any guaranteed money, he initially only had a two way deal.

And I really like Clark.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I dunno what our plan is for him .

In a season ravaged by injuries there seem to be plenty of opportunities for him to play much more than he is playing .

Generally , when he has played , he has played well . His shooting isn't consistent I guess ... but we don't let him go for longer when he is hot either ?

Confusing

BasketMAD likes this.
  18. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Every time he’s in the game he’s a positive. Good defense and rebounding, but MDA loves OFFENSE FIRST.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not the first cheapskate move in the Tilfart era.

While Les was here Morey routinely bought 2nd round picks with his yearly allotment of "cash" , this year he used that cash to get MCW's contract off the books and cut the lux tax penalties a fraction.

Mathloom likes this.
  20. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Trade him if MDA does not want to use