1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SF Chronicle] A.J. Hinch next Stanford head coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Apr 11, 2017.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Stumbled across this on Twitter not too long ago.... not sure if it was thread-worthy, but here you go.

Other names mentioned...

Cal head coach/ex-Stanford SS David Esquer
    A's 1B coach Mike Aldrete
    A's minor league coordinator of instruction/ex-Stanford 3B Ed Sprague
    Former Astro pitcher and current TCU pitching coach Kirk Saarloos (rumored to be in the mix)

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If this happens, who will make sure Marisnick gets his playing time?

I kid...I kid....

T for 3, RasaqBoi and Nook like this.
  3. conquistador#11

Who will be our papa pringles, once you pop the fun won't stop?

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

MLB managers don't leave to take college jobs. There just isn't the money in college baseball that there is in basketball or football.

texans1095 and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing. Also, MLB never dips into the college ranks to find managers, another difference from basketball and football. If he did leave, I'm not sure MLB would leave the door cracked.

This would represent a significant step back, in terms of money, future prospects... I would imagine there's an MLB path to California, if that's where he'd rather be. I can't fathom any other reason for him to even consider it. And it's not like he has a bad situation in Houston, in terms of potential. Maybe there're problems BTS - but, again: I wouldn't leave MLB over it.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Before anyone gets excited about AJ possibly leaving

As long as Luhnow is in charge, we will have a manager who manages by the data...we won't have a more "traditional" manager under Luhnow

I truly believe a lot of the baserunning "errors" we constantly see is more a factor of super stats saying we get more out of being uber aggresive than it costs us, much more than AJ just running a ship with no discipline

As for Marisnik playing so much...damn I don't know what numbers could possibly say that is a good idea

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If you believe in defensive metrics, he's worth playing especially against LHP. Based on BR, he has basically been a 2 WAR player for the past 3 seasons despite being primarily a backup. Fangraphs hasn't been nearly as kind, giving him a total of 2.6 WAR across the 3 seasons combined, but that isn't bad for a backup.

8. Buck Turgidson

Gary Pettis.

MadMax likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

On the high-end, you're right. But there's a hell of a lot more job security in college. Pay would be a negligible difference, especially at a place like Stanford

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article81496887.html

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-mlb-mangers/

When's the last time a MLB manager signed a 10-year contract?

10. Hey Now!

When's the last time a MLB club signed a college coach? I think that would be the bigger leap - Hinch would essentially shut the door on managing at this level.

11. Buck Turgidson

When's the last time a college program signed a MLB coach?

Damn, we're full of questions.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I think Bobby Winkles go from Arizona State to the Angels 40 years ago

13. Hey Now!

It's virgin territory, for sure. I just can't imagine Hinch would see this as a step up - unless the pay/commitment was overwhelming and/or he has a desire to head west, even though he's not from California (he played HS ball in Oklahoma). I could see this being enticing if itwas... 2013 or '14... but he'd be hard-pressed to find another MLB situation this promising.

The other possibility, of course - if he's bumping into Luhnow in any way - that would maybe drive him away.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They can have him.

Tomstro likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

When he eventually gets fired (someday, 99% of managers get fired) I could see him doing that, his other option would probably be bench/? coach and bide his time until he gets another offer.

Also, how did I not know that? I always assumed he was a Cali guy.

16. Hey Now!

I did, too - but the vast majority of his career has been on the west coast: Stanford + A's + DBacks + Padres. But I looked it up before posting, as I was going to use "returning home" as a possible motivator. He was actually born in Iowa. True Midwest guy. But he might have roots in California given how much of his career he's spent out there - maybe his wife is from there?...

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

And I'm sure he will be in the lineup again tonight

Personally, I think he should rarely ever be in the lineup

18. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

If AJ can win here he'll write his ticket for the next decade. No way he leaves on his own because there is way too much young talent. 2 season ago with way less they were very close to knocking out the Royals. If he fails to get it done in the next 2 seasons likely the Astros move on from him.

19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I want an old school curmudgeon to manage this team. I can't stand hinch and his over managing!

20. awc713

awc713 Member

Cangero51 would be a fantastic manager