1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Serious] Why have Paul, Gordon , and Clint looked awful ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Oct 31, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If at all possible , please try to be a bit serious. I know the state of the rockets suck , but that doesn't mean we can at least try to have an objective discussion .

The sample size is 6 games for Gordon and Clint , and 4 games for Paul .

Why have these guys looked so much worse than last year ?

Is it schematic , is it just cold shooting (sample size ) , are they injured , old age , etc ?

I don't buy into the "Clint got paid and now he's not trying argument." He actually looked like one of the few players trying last night and is showing some signs of knocking off rust ... he's just a step slow to start the season ... which is a problem in and of itself . Why is a 25 year old who is one of the best athletes on the team not on point with his timing yet ?

Gordon ; I'm not sure I buy into the "knows he's going to be traded" argument .... but at this point I can't come up with anything other than gypsy curse to explain how he is so bad .... granted , Gordon has always been streaky and maybe the play of harden and Paul and Clint covers this up sometimes .

Paul ; where do I start . He can't shoot , can't finish , can't defend , and is making poor decisions.... I chalked the first game up to him being old and his body needing to get back in the flow ... and he looked a bit better vs the lakers . But since he has come back from suspension , he still looks totally out of it.

This isn't like the last season where he started the year off on one leg , at least then he was still playing smart .

These 3 guys are really struggling and are BY FAR the primary reason the record is what it is . MCW , Ennis , Hart , Melo, green .... you can blame our role players when they have cold shooting and we lose a close game .

I want to see if anyone has noticed any real reasons as to why those 3 guys are not performing and what your expectations are for them going forward ?

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Clint has that stupid hair patch I am blaming that.

Gordon I think is honestly unsure of his role off the bench with Melo there. Is he is the guy to score off the bench? Help create?

Trying to have 1 new starter and 2 new bench guys into a rotation when losing your defensive minded asst coach weeks before the season started.

The suspensions and injuries have not helped at all either to help build better cohesion

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

All part of the plan.

Need a lotto pick to outplay his contract.

Think pre-Duncan Spurs. From WCF to toilet to HOF

BigShasta and dkim1984 like this.
  4. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Paul- Another yr older
    Gordon- Always streaky..worried about being traded
    Capela- Got his $

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Trade-noise aside I think Gordon will recover. Paul will recover. It's Capela I'm worried about. It's hard to get into shape during the season. I think this will be an off-year for him. Hopefully he puts in work next summer. He took off this summer. Less FIFA, more weight room.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I still think and this is just my opinion, that they all know that we have a deal in place and just coasting until this team is set with it's pieces.

They've all been bad. I've never seen CP3 play this bad without any fire his entire career.

Not sure, I'm hoping this is the case.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

-- CP being out of sorts is odd. Perhaps he is thinking too much. Maybe without Harden he is stuck trying to find a balance of his role being both a distributor and a scorer. He doesn't look "confident" in his shot.

-- There might be something to the "Gordon isnt sure about his role with Melo here like when Lou Will was here." Gordon goes through shooting slumps, but all of these missed layups? It is possible the "Butler talks" are effecting him.

-- Capela. He looked better vs Portland. More explosive. But that was an outlier for the season. He needs to play every game like Portland. I am on "blame the patch on the hair" train. Aside from that it is hard to explain because a lot of what he brings is just energy and there is no reason that energy should be low for him.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Theory checks out. Sounds like things are heating up.

9. Moleb

Moleb Member

Zion Williamson here we come!

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Capela

Clint has not looked awful. You 5's defense is always going to look worse when the perimeter is leaking like crazy. There is simply more to cover, from more angles and with less communication. There is absolutely nothing he can do about this.

Other than defense, he has played more, scored more, rebounded more, blocked as much and maintained the same ast/to ratio.

The thing with Capela is he has a 4-5 year history of starting slow and gradually improving each month. This is a function of having to put muscle on a narrow frame every summer, and the symptoms are so clear: reduced agility, challenging stamina, free throw woes.

He will be absolutely fine, he's earned that from us with hard work. He's not acting like a diva on the court he still hustles, so that concern I had earlier in the season is gone.

Gordon

He knows. It's clear as day. He's a positive dude, has worked hard for this team, and wants to bet on himself to outperform an extension. Can't fault him.

Paul

I don't know for sure. He's getting attacked a lot and whereas last season he would play harder after it, and advise other people to play harder if they missed defensive assignments - this season he is letting anger and disappointment get the best of him I feel.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It certainly does. I'm going to give the Tank-2-Title/ '97 Spurs theory a heat rating of:

[​IMG]

ONE BURNER

will update as the season goes on.

NIKEstrad likes this.
  12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The moment I saw that stupid patch in Capela’s head I knew what time it was.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The 14-15 season is back, the whole team is in a bad funk. We legitimately just need to *clap clap* play harder.

francis 4 prez and fattz like this.
  14. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Can anyone tweet spam him about getting his hair back to normal ??

15. hakeemthagreat

Missing shots is one thing. But getting blown by, not boxing out & missing layups is due to effort. The body language says theirs something internally going on. The biggest disappointment imo is CP. He is the LEADER of the team, and also one of the highest paid players in the NBA, yet has not once held a on court huddle, yelled at nor corrected anybody for messing up. Where is the leadership from the players

16. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

1. we have only seen one game with harden and paul playing together

2. the loss of ariza and moute on defense. we have lost the transition, help, and one on one defense of all these guys....exposing our defense. we need guys like beverley and ariza on defense to make up for the bad defense of harden, paul, and now carmelo. We can't win without those type of guys.having just capela and tucker is not enough. you need good to great defenders at every other postion. especially now with carmelo here. all three of those players can't play at the same time. if you have two of those. you need three good to great defenders at every other position.

17. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

The poor start has been a total team effort.

juanm34, fattz and rocketman84 like this.
  18. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

2 of them look to me unexpectedly wining jack pot, and third turning in to CBrewer.

19. gotsis

gotsis Member

More worried about CP3

Gordon has always been streaky and the Butler trade talks and integrating Melo isn't helping;

Capela has looked worse, but no one is helping on defense and has played a few games with no Harden or no CP3;

CP3: here is my main worry. He looks to be playing with 0 intensity and the leadership he brought last season is lacking. No idea if age finally caught up or if there is something going on internally with the team that is causing this.

RocketRed84 likes this.
  20. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I think the loss of Ariza with no one to replace him (I consider Ennis to be more of a Moute replacement than an Ariza replacement), coupled with the loss of Bzedlik with no one to replace him has just been too much for this team to handle.

That, and Capela's hair obviously