1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serious question: can states revolt against government spending/taxes?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ari, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Ari

Ari Member

I was thinking about this the other day. A friend of mine and I were talking about how states that have been doing well fiscally have been dragged kicking and screaming into year after year of irresponsible government spending and ill-advised foreign adventures, all of which have helped strain the economy and pushed the national debt into stratospheric territory. Then he posed this question: what fault is it of Texas' that California is about to go bankrupt or that the federal government is creating an unsustainable deficit and increasing an already astronomic national debt which we can NEVER hope to pay back? What if Texas, and in effort to survive, attempts to some how break free of those 'deadbeats' in the federal government or demands that it not be held accountable or made to suffer for the fiscal irresponsibility of other states or the federal government itself?

In his view, there will come a breaking point where some states will, in one form or another, revolt against the federal government and its toxic balance sheet. He says he foresees something like this happening with states asking for what would effectively amount to full autonomy, while technically remaining part of the 'Union'. He says he is convinced that we will go back to the confederate model which was short lived and existed until the writing of the Constitution.

I have to say I agree with his assessment, I do foresee that happening at some point but only if things continue to get worse and this recession does indeed turn into a depression, or something approaching that. If that happens, I think the federal government will have to make concessions to the states for two reasons: 1) it will not have the resources or allegiances necessary to force the states into compliance, and 2) it will attempt to use said concessions at a desperate attempt to preserve the Union, if only in name.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

This question was settled in 1865 over something much more important than balance sheets.

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I thought California took in less Federal tax money than is paid out. I think it's the rural states like Kentucky, West Virginia that take in more than they spend.

They have a large number of wealthy people per capita, who are taxed heavier, compared to most states.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

One need only look at the blue state GDP versus red state GDP.

I love that the assumption is the reverse, based on this myth of "hard working Americans" supporting a bunch of "lazy poor people."

5. BetterThanEver

http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/266.html

I found it on the tax foundation website. They have list with 2005 data.

California received $0.78 in return for every federal tax dollar paid.

New Mexico is tops at $2.03.
    Mississippi is 2nd at $2.02
    Alaska is 3rd at $1.84.
    Louisiana is 4th at $1.78

I am confused by Alaska being so high, I thought they had plenty of local revenue from oil and gas companies.

I am lost as to why New Mexico is so high also. Is this because of the Border security?

Louisiana and Mississippi because of the billions federal spending for Hurricane Katrina.

6. BetterThanEver

I looked further on the website for a map. This is strange to me. You are right, it does contradict that myth.

[​IMG]

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I dont think any state would secede because every state receives a crapload of money from the government.

That said, I understand the question since we see trillion dollar federal deficits for at least 2 years, probably more, while the states pretty much balance their budges (most of the time).

8. Ari

Ari Member

Not outright secession obviously, but perhaps more state assertiveness in budgetary issues? Or something along those lines.

That's an interesting map guys, I guess this hypothetical example fails. But the premise is still the same, whether its Texas and New Mexico or some other freeloader state, based on that map.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why would a "state" revolt? State governments are handed big fat checks from the federal government. They are not handed invoices.

10. rage

rage Member

So you don't believe in the concept of one country, one people, sharing the resources, contributions, responsibility, ...
    Might as well secede and turn into 50 separate countries.

Along the same line, why do you stop at the state border. I am pretty sure I am paying more into the coffer than many people in this state, maybe including you. I wish they would just kick free loader like you out of the state as well. How do like them apples?

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Oh, now this is cute. You are generalizing that a state's voting tendencies determine each and every member's work ethic? Just too cute. The blue states are blue because lazy poor people infest urban areas to to find wealthy people's blood to suck from. These 'takers' outnumber the successful and vote Democratic. Really the Democratic base is comprised of people with a sense of entitlement to government handouts and overeducated (not necessarily smart) people who are sympathetic to them. I pity the hard working, self sufficient, people making an honest living who have to support these people who want others to do all the work.

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

You get on his case for generalizing, but then you go ahead and do a whole bunch of generalizing yourself.

You know what they say about people in glass houses...

13. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

No, states cannot revolt, if we learned anything from Iraq it's don't mess with the fed :D

14. insane woman

insane woman New Member

im pretty sure its called nullification. where a state has a right refuse or rather consider void federal laws (ie taxes) it feels are unconstitutional. i believe this was mainly practiced in the late 1700s and early 1800s with alien sedition acts and more importantly in south carolina with refusal to pay tariffs on goods [which some people argue was one of the main causes of the civil war.] -- for this reason the concept of states rights specifically with nullification has been repudiated.

i doubt concessions will be taken so easily before such things are allowed.

15. Ari

Ari Member

Touchy? I did not say I was for it, I was wondering if it is something that could happen one day if things continue to get progressively worse.

I am all for big neo-imperialist nations. I hail from Russia! :p

16. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Looking at the map I notice that the top ten lowest spending states compared to the dollars they send to the Federal government, they tend to be states with a large population that also have a hefty state income tax.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

One of the difference makers that jumps out at you looking at that map is that NM, MT, ND,SD, and AK all have large Native American populations as percentage of residents. AZ has a large number of Native Americans, but the total population is such that they are probably less in terms of a percentage.

AK and HI also benefit greatly because of the amount spent on Defense.

MD, WV, and VA all benefit from being in proximity to DC.

MS and AL are just dirt poor backwards states.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks for that -- it's very interesting, no? NY, MA, and CA, liberal bastions all, average about $0.78 of federal spending per income tax dollar paid. How about the more conservative bastions of OK, UT, and KY (just going by vote margin in the latest election)? $1.36. of federal spending per income tax dollar collected.

And you know, that's fine. There's no need for every state to come achieve a $1 or less ratio. I'm not trying to insult those states, but rather the outmoded and demonstrably dishonest viewpoint that liberal areas are somehow living off the life's blood of stalwart conservative areas.

To support the myth of sycophantic blue states, one must contort his or her mind horribly, leaving the realm of logic far, far behind.

PS -- Ari, did you look at the map? California is pulling more of the federal load than Texas; the feds are taking much more than their fare share from Cali, when compared to Texas. Cali should leave the union before Texas.

19. BetterThanEver

The #1 welfare recipient isn't lazy poor people in urban areas.
    It's actually AIG. They are announcing a $150 government rescue package. This is on top of the billions that they have already received. Every month, we give them more money.

[​IMG]

20. rage

rage Member

Touchy? Why would I be? You asked a question. I just gave you a scenario to show how narrow minded and backward thinking that question was.
    If you are not for it, or at least think it is a good idea, why even raise the question? Don't be wus, admit to it and argue your case.