1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serious Discussion - what could we trade Tmac for...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, May 1, 2009.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I do not intend to take the focus from this awesome playoff run. Rather, I just posted a thread detailing my breakdown of the key matchups and coachng decisions that will decide the series. As I concluded that thread, I'm calling Rockets in 6!

--

All that said, all this Tmac talk has me wanting for a direct discussion of realistic scenarious in which we could trade Tmac in the offseason. I believe that decision has been made because:

- Tmac has done all the wrong things (media comments and otherwise). I won't belabor the here.

- I believe that Artest and Wafer will not come back if Tmac does. Wafer will not sign up to sign on the bench while Tmac takes all those minutes. Artest could come back if the money is right, but I think he prefers the 2nd dog role to Yao, who he respects. i don't think the Warier respects Tmac at all.

- I speculate -- pure speculation -- that this is Yao and Battier's team and both of them despise Tmac -- for what he has said, for his failure to rehab after surgery when they both did. I think Tmac violates everything that Yao and Battier stand for. I would not be surprised at all if Yao tells management that it would be better to trade Tmac. I don't think Yao would go so far as to demand that, that's not his style. But I have no doubt that he will let it be known that it is preference. Les and Daryl literally cannot afford to risk Yao going elsewhere. All of this is augmented by the fact that Yao and Battier made it to round 2 without Tmac. It increases their bond with each other, and their distance from Tmac.

---

So, I am calling for an intellingent discussion of real possibilities of what we could get for Tmac's expiring contract. If we assume that we bring back Ron and Wafer, our greatest need is a legit/athletic backup for Yao, and a quality PG.

Detroit needs to be blown up. So does New Orleans. So does Phoenix.

2. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Who's going to take a player who has a 23 million dollar contract who just came off of micro-fracture knee surgery? Isiah Thomas doesn't work for the Knicks anymore and I don't think you can send an NBA player to a college team.

I'd just wait until his contract expires in 2010, re-sign Yao and get another all-star wing player like a Joe Johnson.

3. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Again, if the salaries matched I would trade T-mac for cancer.

4. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I think it's going to be very difficult to trade Tracy at this point of his career. Our best chance was getting him for Vince Carter, but with Tracy announcing his surgery right at the trade deadline, it became impossible. I'm still not too happy about that because we are one all-star swingman away from a championship. I think the Rockets best bet is to hope that Tracy comes back and is at least 75% back to his former self and wait til his contract expires in 2010, when they can go out and try get Wade, Johnson, or Nowitzki.

5. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

A bag of Cheetos and a 12 oz. Sprite.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

peja + chandler? hornets are going to want to trade those 2 fools and that give us a shooter + backup C. didn't really put the money in there.

contenders will be willing to take a chance, esp. since his contract is expiring.

1 person likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Let's wait until after the season for this discussion, but I suspect there are a lot of financially strapped teams that may want to get out of some long term contracts of some 2nd tier star players.

DD

1 person likes this.
  8. kwng

kwng Member

At the moment I can'tthink of anyone or any team if we wanted a decent deal.

9. hotsouthtree

hotsouthtree Member

You are wrong, our best chance is to get Billpus in summer no matter whom (scubs) will be added to balance saralary.

We would win Championship this year!!!!!!

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I've thought about this a lot and the most realistic option IMO is:

T-mac (23 million)

for

Richard Jefferson (14 million)
    Luke Ridnour (6.5 million, expiring)

You don't want a full 23 million in long term contracts coming back, so it's better to get one big player and an expiring to pad out the salaries.

Milwaukee is in pretty bad financial shape. They get salary relief one year earlier with this deal and it might allow them to re-sign sessions and charlie v.

Alternatively, we could add Landry to the mix for a re-signed Villanueva. Milwaukee would probably go for Landry since he's still got 2 years at a very reasonable salary. It would beat going into the luxury tax to keep Charlie or losing him for nothing.

1 person likes this.
  11. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

This would be a good discussion in a few weeks....

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

There's absolutely no guarantee TMAC will even be ready to play next season if he's not traded. I'd say it's more likely that he doesn't play. That's not going to scare Artest and Wafer off. Especially Wafer who's floated through the league and never stuck anywhere. If we want Wafer back, he'll be back.

You (admittedly) make a lot of assumptions about what players are feeling and there's no way you can factor that in to whether you think he will get traded or not.

I think the best case scenario is if TMAC is declared medically out for the season. I believe that if that happens, we'll be given extra cap room equal to half of TMAC's salary. So we can brink back Ron and another contributing player.

For those who wonder who in the hell would trade for a broken down player with a large salary, the answer is a lot of teams. If a team is rebuilding and don't expect to contend next year and they have some large contracts that run past next season, then they can trade for TMAC and free up $20+ Million in cap space for 2010. Yeah, TMAC isn't going to help them win but they weren't going to win anyway and now they've got all this cap space after next season.

Personally, I'd like to do that ourselves. I'd rather keep and injured TMAC on the roster (like this season), and then have $20 Million to spend in free agency in 2010.

13. deadlyc

deadlyc Member

About 10 million BIG MACs to feed all the staffs and fans that go to the game for the next 10 years?

14. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

This.

I want his contract expire to give us the best options in the 2010 off-season. If we make a hasty trade, we could get hamstrung by the contracts we got in return whereas letting his expire gives us flexibility. Obviously we are good enough without him, so he can just pitch a tent on the bench next season for all I care.

15. Vivid

Vivid Member

With the Warriors strapped for money, I could maybe see them dealing Ellis. The guy lied to them and currently has them tied in a massive contract. They could also unload oft-injured Maggette on us in the process. I would try Tmac's contract, Brooks for Ellis and Maggette. Dream scenario they toss in that pick or one of their young bigs. As it is I could see them doing this. Get out of two long term contracts (save over 100 million over the next 5 seasons), get a promising young scoring pg. For us we could roll with-

Ellis/Lowry
    Artest/Wafer
    Battier/Maggette
    Scola/Landry
    Yao/???

I would try to replace Tmac with a guy that could do what he did for us just last year. If we had a guy capable of getting 24/6/6 while our other guys do what they have been doing this post-season... Beast-mode. I don't know who fits that mold that we could realistically acquire. My wish list starts with Granger, this guy is going to be a stud for years.

-V

1 person likes this.
  16. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I would love this because then we would have a ton of guys that can draw fouls, Yao, Lowry, Ellis, Maggette. And the thought of Ellis on the weak side when Yao is getting fronted makes me feel funny in the pants. But all the articles I've read out of Golden State read that they're in upgrade mode and not salary dump mode.

17. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

It's amusing how people have this whole sense of accomplishment like "finally, the season is over, mission accomplished! We can start flooding the GARM with r****ded offseason trade threads now."

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Baron Davis and Marcus Camby get my vote!

19. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

I wouldn't trade McGrady. First of all, he isn't going to have any value because the earliest he will probably come back is after the trade deadline next season.

We get a lot by keeping McGrady:

- If he comes back halfway through the season, this team won't be his anymore. It will be up to him to fit in and we can make him come off the bench if we want. Before people say that McGrady will never agree to come off the bench, keep in mind that if he refuses, we can sit him for the season and thus ensure that basically no team will be interested in him in 2010. He HAS to play to show his knee is fine and that he is still worth big money. That means that we can bring him back off the bench. If he plays hard and well, great, we have possibly the best sixth man in the league without messing up our chemistry. If he doesn't or refuses, oh well, we are left where we are now.

- Then, in 2010, we will have the money to go after basically anybody we want and can get the premiere wing player that we need, whether it be Wade, Joe Johnson, Michael Redd, whoever. This will ensure that we will be a contender for at least another 2-3 years because we will have a core group that includes Yao, Artest, Scola, Wafer, Landry, Battier, and whoever we sign in 2010 with McGrady's money (assuming we sign Artest and Wafer to new deals this off season).

20. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Wow. We're still in contention for a title and we're already talking about next year. I can't believe it...

But if that's the case, might as well throw my two cents in. In a perfect world I'd let McGrady's contract expire and use a small bit of cash to sign one or two bench/complementary players, and save the rest to resign Scola, Brooks, Lowry, Landry and Von Wafer, since once these guys mature one or two of them will be allstars and will command max level money...