1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sergio Llull will NOT join the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2015.

1. verysimplejason

Maybe he just doesn't like the Rockets?

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Jeez. While its trendy to say "F" him... it really puts a damper on the off season. Even more so, given the way the FA season is going so far, and given the way we approached the draft.

Now... we will either be forced to overpay Pat and/or give up a lot in a trade to fill what is now a gaping hole in our roster.

Getting Pat back at the right price is a justifiable move, but the FA prices we have seen suggest we will have to overpay to retain him. Since his performance actually declined last season (while he was healthy), and since he hasn't played a full season yet, you really can't count on him. So we will also need to acquire another starting level PG via trade.

Meanwhile, the Warriors retained their FAs and may even add more (West?). Spurs adding LMA while keeping their FAs. MEM getting stronger. While some teams have slipped (DAL, LAL, POR) will we be healthy enough to compete with the elite?

3. Nero

Nero Member

I have a question, maybe one of our 'Draft Gurus' can answer it:

Do these overseas guys have to 'declare' for the NBA Draft?

Like guys here in this country, who have to actually 'enter' the draft to be draft-eligible, do the foreign players have to make an actual proactive move and actually register with the NBA to be eligible to be drafted by an NBA team?

Or can an NBA team literally just draft whoever they want from overseas, whether they have ever expressed any interest in the NBA or not?

Reason I am asking is, it sure seems that Llull has zero interest in playing in the NBA, and it makes me wonder if we just drafted the guy because he looked like he had potential, or did he actually have to make a real positive expression of interest in playing in the NBA in order to be drafted at all?

Contrast this with Capela, who clearly wanted to be here, now now NOW, and didn't want to just be another Euro-stash player. Llull seems to be the polar opposite of Capela, and I'm not sure at all that we really need or want a guy who only wants to marginally be here at all, at best.

Kind of like V-Span v2.0 . NOT WANT.

Sigh.. I'm sure Dekker will be an ok player, but man, I sure did want Grant.. :(

4. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

They have to declare. But if no one wants their rights/no one drafts them, and they have declared, they're open game.

5. Nero

Nero Member

That's what I figured. So why would the dude actively declare, and then act like he has never had any interest in coming over? It's stupid behavior. :mad:

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

trade his rights now..must be influenced by teammate rudy fernandez

7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You logic failed.

If you believe every or most contracts are overpaying the players, then maybe it isn't, maybe that's just the market rate.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Don't understand your point. A few weeks ago, the contract level we would have been happy or even comfortable to pay for Pat was much lower than what it is clear we will have to pay with the NBA contract frenzy with FAs (so yes, I believe most of the contracts have been overpaying). As a result, we will have to pay more to re-sign a PG whose performance slipped last year and hasn't played a full season. And since we missed out on Llull, and didn't address the PG position in the draft... we will be forced to re-sign Beverley.

I know Moorley has had success signing role players to supplement the lineup, but given the quality of PG play in the WC, plus Harden's statements, I think the Rockets will be pressured in making a move to fill the gaping hole.

9. hakeemthagreat

Damper? Lol. Llull has done absolutely NOTHING in the NBA. If hes doesn't wanna play against the best competition, then it says more about him than us. I never bought into the hype anyway. I'm tired of Morey chasing these over hyped euro players

The problem I have is WHY did we not draft a pg for insurance. Morey put all his eggs in one basket without a full commitment from Llull or Bev. Now we're in tougher situation than before

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Keep his rights and never make him an offer or only low ball him. He's obviously scared and wants to hide out in the Dorsey was successful there league. Can you imagine a soccer player in the US not taking an offer in the premiere league or la liga? I could understand if he had kids that were in school but turning down a chance to play in the best league in the sport you play is inexcusable under this circumstance.

Great Sergio! You just won a gold medal at the Special Olympics. You now have a chance to win a gold medal at the Olympics but your turning it down. Yes, I'm butt sore about this.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

what's the point of drafting a player if he has no interest in coming over? how are they not REQUIRED to come over?

It's not like college players who get drafted can go back to playing at the college level.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ok, next man up.

DD

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The market price of the player will not be determined by what you think about 3 weeks ago.

Nor it will be determined by what Morey think only.

It will be determined by the market supply and demand.

Almost every starter of every team last year that got a new contract so far the last 2 days, their average annual salaries are all over 10 mils per.

There will be some overpaid contracts for sure, but when everyone is doing the same thing, it just means you are underestimating the value of the players now.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know how much better a rookie mid-first rounder would have been better than Llull. He'd've been cheaper to sign, yes.

There is the chance Morey had other options lined up in the event Llull said no, or maybe it's gonna come down to some other team wanting his rights.

Relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax. I mean, there's always Lin, right?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also, many people failed to understand this simple point.

Assume the worst, Morey needs to match a contract offer for Bev for 10 mils per.

It does not equal to Morey can spend 10 mils to sign a FA PG from the market if he will not match that. It isn't.

And of course it will be even worse situation if you are looking to trade for a 10 mils plus PG in the open market because not only you will lose some assets like picks, and more importantly, you will need to let go of lots of your bench of last year.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Trade his rights. Move on...

17. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Lost a lot of respect for the guy. This is the perfect situation for him. Lots of minutes on a good team that has 0 point guards. I guess he doesn't want to come to the NBA and if that's the case, he should've let it be known so a team doesn't waste a draft pick on him or a team buys your draft rights for $2.25 million (the highest in league history).

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

People are overreacting. It's obvious money matter. Real Madrid gives him more money and he would have to pay the opt out money. It's easy to see the financial reasons why anyone would hesitate to jump to the NBA in this situation.

Next year is probably the last chance for us to get him. If he's not coming next year, he'll never.

19. anchel

anchel Member

It is like that. The matter also is that Morey is getting another PG now (he's not starting a new season with current PGs), so he may prefer spend MLE at a different position next season and trade his rights to a 30 wins team. Llull has chosen money over a perfect basketball situation to enter the NBA. It's likely that that situation won't happen two times for him.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Please trade this guy away already.