1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serge Ibaka traded to Toronto for Terrence Ross and 1st round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Feb 14, 2017.

1. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Oladipo is what HE is... It's not like they lost Harden for spare parts (like OKC did). You can't get what's not available, and nobody is trading game-changing stars. Ibaka is the next closest thing, a sure piece to a competitive team. Yes, it was a bad trade, but don't say the organization is garbage for getting Ibaka. The Thunder made the worst trade of the century and then couldn't retain KD. But they still have Russ, so that bails them out. One true star player can turn any organization around. Otherwise you're just trying to win enough games to keep fans interested. Orlando and many other teams are in that boat. You need a star...

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Problem with getting someone better than brewer u have to give up more assets than necessary. We have no leverage, and giving up assets to barely increase our chance to compete against stacked warriors isn't worth. Yea we need to pull the trigger, Harden isn't getting any younger, but we have too many luggage on team to make a splash without being on the losing end of a trade.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm sure Morey would love to trade Brewer for Lebron and Harrell for Kristaps,but you can only work with whats available to you. Its not like there's an infinite amount of trade partners and players available and its morey who doesnt want to upgrade the team.

The offer for Ibaka was no salary, 1st and Ross. To beat that would mean at least Dekker (comparable to Ross) and a 1st which is honestly not even possible as the Rox cant accept 13M salary. We'd have to unload Brewer which would mean additional assets as compensation which probably made gettinf him too expensive.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, I'm not drunk. Are you a PPatt hata?

They are 10-14 the moment PPatt got injured.

He isn't the sole reason, but they do miss him. sheesh. He plays the most minutes of anyone not called Lowry/DeRozen

He was just as important to Toronto during the first two months and Beverley is to the Rockets. I'm not making this up. I follow TOR because they are my 2nd favorite team, with all the ex-rockets. This is how the team talks about PPatt. He's one of their glue guys All their talk is about getting their full rotation back.

5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Welp, too bad the Rockets didn't get him, move on now. As long as the Rockets get a solid back up point guard, and get rid of Brewer, I will be happy.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's cool if you don't want to have a serious conversation, but why bother posting if that's the case?

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

But thats the thing Ibaka wasnt a game changing star so whyd they get him? It was just Hannigan wanting to go all in without thinking of long term effects.

The true star Orlando needed was in this year's draft. The draft is loaded if Orlando really sucked they could have gotten a high lottery pick. Now they gave their pick to OKC and even let Ibaka walk. From possible lottery to low first round that just sad. And crazy thing is they even lost Oladipo who is better than Ross.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'd want Ppat back, and yes he's actually pretty important to the Raps lineup this year.

9. malakas

malakas Member

The owner group of the Raptors is cheap. Its some kind of company that also owns other teams.
    I dont' believe that they are willing to go so much high in tax to give max to both Lowry and Ibaka.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yeah Warriors are gonna win for the next 5 years. Let's just shut any upgrades down, close the doors on trades and watch Harden's prime rot away. Who cares? Warriors gonna win anyway

Never mind the Warriors could have an injury to one of their stars, a chemistry breakdown, a Draymond Green suspension

Stupid loser mentality. I can understand this if you're a lottery team with no stars but not when you're the 3rd best team out West with an MVP caliber player.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I am being serious, I'm just telling you if the Rox arent making moves its because there's non available that makes sense for them.

You posted about how Rox are wasting the chance they have by not making moves so I'm saying which moves are available and at what price? You cant complain because we dont know what the asking price for players are. Look at boston they have do many assets but no one wants to trade a star to them and in our case we dont even have a lot of assets to make a good trade.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Wow this is a horrible deal for the Magic, some franchises are just run like a mess..Nets & Suns are still probably the worst, but Magic closing in on the worst. Oladipo, Sabonis for Ibaka, signing Biyombo, now trading Ibaka for **** etc.

13. justtxyank

I don't think Ibaka is even worth the max personally, regardless of whether you are cheap or not.

But yes, I agree. I'll be shocked if Toronto ends up paying out the salary totals being kicked around right now.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Rozier? Don't think Orlando would take him over Ross anyway....

15. justtxyank

Talking about Dekker for Lebron type stuff is insulting to my intelligence. I think I treat people on here with enough respect and intelligence to deserve better than that.

As to moves just not being out there, I disagree. The Rockets have passed on potential upgrades before because of their "superstar or scrub" mentality when it comes to trades.

DMO (DJ remix) and BigMaloe like this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dekker, or Harrel and a first and a 2nd would have gotten it done.

DD

Ming The King likes this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I always need clarity on this wording. When Woj says "lower pick" does he mean lower ascending order (the lower value pick in who picks first to last by position number) or descending order (the lower number -- who has the smaller number thus picks earlier).

Can't he just say upmost or downmost??

@Deuce @malakas @J.R. -- help me out here

#137 heypartner, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    BigMaloe likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Never mind that Harden could have an injury too? So only the bad things can happen to GSW but the Rox are impervious right?

Who says Harden's prime is wasting away? Is he gonna retire next year? The rox just went from 0.500 team last year to 3rd best team in just 1 year, are they supposed to be contenders overnight? For every 30 teams that go all in only 1 works out. If you really dont want to waste Hardens prime the dont do moves that have a lot of risk and can set you back like what happened ladt year.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

How do you know that? Maybe orlando didn't like any of the Rockets players.

Vivi likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

even if hte doesn't get the max...you can't count on him getting a reasonable 15-17 per contract. If he gets around 22-23 per then they will be a tax team. They also have made now this investment trading away their first, so they can't let him get away for nothing.
    I think maybe they will trade away Valanciunas at this point.