1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Send JVG a message: Let Yao pass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketScientist, Jul 25, 2006.

1. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Send JVG a message: Let Yao get creative

I don't think anyone can forget the sweet-a@@ passes Yao was dishing out his rookie year. Maybe Yao forgot how to pass during the summer of 2003. I think more likely is the idea that JVG is suppressing any type of creativity on this team by stressing defense and fundamentals.

I can't argue with that.

But I can say that when you have a player with an extraordinary skill at passing combined with a height that gives him the ultimate court vision, it is asinine to not leverage this to your advantage.

How about using the power of this board to send a message to JVG: Give Yao the green light to make the 'risky' pass if he thinks he can git'r done.

Come on JVG, give your superstar some room to make his own decisions.

#1 RocketScientist, Jul 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  2. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

yes, jvg won't let yao pass... :rolleyes:

3. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

pass to who? his teammates arent exactly known for their shooting. those passes will most likely result in turnovers. dont pass yao, score more, be dominant.

4. compucomp

compucomp Member

Being more dominant and passing are not mutually exclusive. Shaq averages 3 assists a game over his career.

5. opticon

opticon Member

With the additions of players like novak, battier , vspan I think his passing will go up because of players ablities to to make open shots.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Yao gets the ball, and is only guarded by one guy, he should look to score EACH AND EVERY TIME. Passing just for the sake of passing isn't going to benefit this team (or its offense) in the long-run.

Now, if he gets swarmed/doubled (like I expect him to), then designing plays that can take advantage of the opposing team's defense (either having him high post, or doing the stape T-mac-Yao pick and roll) is a must.

At that point, its up to the role players to be in the right position to CATCH the passes or MAKE the shots that they'll get from the passes, and for Yao to not turn the ball over when faced with swarming defenses (which he has had some trouble with).

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

You need to go back and look at a decent selection of games and you will find that Yao Ming was passing out last season!!
    The big problem is that the ball was hardly ever passed back into him when he adjusted his position into a more favourable one.The main culprit here was Alston. With the addition of new players on the Roster, I am sure he will continue to pass more effectivly and with confidence.

8. mbiker

mbiker Member

If Yao keeps shooting with a high percentage, I don't want him passing to anyone.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i want to reply...but im at a loss of words.

dam JVG and his hatred for passing

10. compucomp

compucomp Member

God damn it you continue to confuse Alston with Bob Sura!!!! Bob Sura was the one that refused to pass to Yao. Why don't you correct your mistake after it being repeatedly pointed out to you?

11. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

And then we pass the doche from the left hand side....

12. RocketScientist

Its not that JVG is anti-passing, its that he doesn't want players to take chances with risky/creative play-making. Let's face it, JVG is the Dom Capers of the NBA in his conservative defense and slow the pace of the game down by running instead of passing or in NBA terms playing more of a half-court style.

The fact is that JVG does not like the stuff Francis/Barry/T-Mac or even Yao do if its not fundamental. This takes away from the fluidity of the game, makes it more rigid and ultimately hampers players who thrive off of fast-paced exciting ball.

I've heard many posters over the last few years say that its not JVG that stops the Rockets from running. He may not stop them, but he sure as hell doesn't facilitate that pace through his play selection and game strategy.

Again, i implore you JVG, let Yao get creative.

13. RocketScientist

Actually I prefer to pass to the right hand side...

14. yoyoma

yoyoma Member

"How about using the power of this board to send a message to JVG"

i dont mean to bust your bubble.....but i dont think JVG gives a rats ass about what people think on this board.

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Don't you hate how JVG doesn't let his players do anything.... :rolleyes:

16. E Wizzle

E Wizzle Member

I think that JVG should incorporate more cutting to the basket when Yao gets the ball, but it makes sense that he keeps them all on the perimeter in hopes of opening things up a little for the big guy down low. As for flashy passes, save for Sabonis and Walton (probably a result of his wacky, drugged out persona in general), I've never really seen a great center do it consistently. Sure Hakeem would break out with a behind the back pass or flip it behind him in one deft motion to a waiting outside shooter, but it was always in the flow of the play. He didn't purposely try to break up a play for a fancy pass.

I'll say this though; Yao's got the most flash to his passes (judging from his rookie year and Chinese league) than any center not named Sabonis and Bill Walton. Yao got the opportunities to perform flashy passes his Rookie year since Rudy T ran a much freer offense and while it was a loose ship, it was also significantly more leaky. JVG tightened it up, but also minimized the water the ship takes in.... That's what you need to win in the Playoffs. Substance, not flash.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

IMO...Yao Ming is not selfish enough.

Let him shoot as much as he wants and then some.

Just my oppionion.

18. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

That's why we don't feed the dog people food.

19. RocketScientist

Actually what I hate is when characters from a book come to life; its really unsettling. Especially ones that were killed in the book.

#19 RocketScientist, Jul 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Boo....
    [​IMG] :D