1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Selena Gomez angers Hindus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Apr 17, 2013.

1. da1

da1 Member

"The bindi on the forehead is an ancient tradition in Hinduism and has religious significance," Rajan Zed, leader of the Universal Society of Hinduism, said in a statement to entertainment news website WENN. "It is also sometimes referred to as the third eye and the flame, and it is an auspicious religious and spiritual symbol.

"It is not meant to be thrown around loosely for seductive effects or as a fashion accessory aiming at mercantile greed," he added. "Selena should apologize and then she should get acquainted with the basics of world religions."

"Wow @SelenaGomez... 'Come & Get It' on the #mtvmovieawards was incredible! One of my favorite songs out there right now!" tweeted Britney Spears, while Demi Lovato praised the song itself.

According to E!, the Times of India noted the controversy but also proudly detailed the influences in the song and Gomez's MTV performance, from the male voice singing in Punjabi with a tabla in the background to her classical Indian dance moves.

"While some international blogs are calling it 'tribal finery,' we can spot a good bindi when we see it," wrote the Times' Kritika Kapoor.

There you go.

Gomez isn't the first woman in Hollywood to dress this way. Julia Roberts, Katy Perry, Madonna, Gwen Stefani, Miley Cyrus and Jessica Simpson have all been photographed over the years sporting bindis.

http://www.mercurynews.com/celebrities/ci_23044888/hicks-selena-gomez-apos-s-bindi-angers-hindus

2. underoverup

underoverup Member

That's just sikh.

1 person likes this.
  3. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

4. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

That's a bit silly. Lots of Indians, hindus and non-hindus, wear bindis. It is like a fashion accessory.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Gwen stefani?

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

My wife and her friends wore those when they bought a table to see Deepak Chopra late last year. I thought it was kinda lame, so I hope the Hindu's don't read the Chronicle Social events section since their picture was in there. That would blooooow.

7. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

A bindi is a fashion accessory, i mean thats why it comes decorative and in many colors...this is just people getting their panties in a bunch

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

get over it.....no big deal

9. moose

moose Member

she is hideous.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

she can shoot lasers out of it and get rid bibber.

j/k but I don't know where I stand on this.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:mad: How can she anger?!?!? How can she anger?!?!?! :mad:

EDIT: DANG it, Han Solo... :grin: you beat me to it.