1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seems Mavs may have given up on Dwight and will target CP3

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, May 21, 2013.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Always a Bridesmaid, Never a Bride

By Kirk Hendersonon May 20 2013

[​IMG]

With reports coming out that Dwight Howard is considering leaving Los Angeles, our hopes will once again rise. Here's why we should all stay grounded

ast night news broke that Dwight Howard was not a lock to resign Los Angeles. I don't really know how this is news or how it broke, considering this is what we've been hearing for well over a year now. But because we inch closer to free agency every day and we have little else to talk about in Mavsland, it's worth looking into. Again.

As much as we don't want to hear this, that Dallas is listed as a secondary option for Howard matters. That we're on his radar is fantastic; with all the work Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson have done over the years to make Dallas a first class operation, the Mavericks should be on any free agent's wish list. This is just the first time in the Cuban era that Dallas has had money to burn, so for once it actually matters. But that Dallas is on his list can't matter more than the other facts at hand.

Let's start with his current club. The Lakers, as much as I am pained to admit, are the single best professional basketball franchise. Between the location and the rich history of the organization, the Lakers often act like they are on a different plane of existence because they ARE. Everyone in the basketball blogosphere used to make jokes about Dwight going to LA until it freaking happened. Try to think back about how you felt when you heard about the trade. It was probably some variation of "They did it AGAIN?" Despite the fact that the Lakers will have some sort term obstacles to get over, from 2014 and on the Lakers have nearly a blank slate. Toss in the additional money Howard is going to make from his contract and endorsements (I hope he signs a lucrative deal with Passages; I'm just sure they treat narcissism) it's so hard for me to imagine him walking away.

Next, let's consider his probably number one location on his wish list. The opportunity to play with James Harden, Chandler Parsons, and Omer Asik while being coached by Kevin McHale sounds incredible. Until Asik and Jeremy Lin's back-loaded deals ring up on the salary cap, Houston is going to be a force (Heck, I'm sure GM Darryl Morey will figure something out to get Lin's contract off their books). They play the kind of basketball that the league is trending towards. A strong guard in Harden who can both get to the rim and facilitate an offense is something Howard craves. Houston is on an upward trajectory and this is a huge selling point for any young free agent.

Finally, let's talk Dallas. In order to make room for the big man, the Maverick front office would have to strip the team down, giving up rights to all of the free agents currently on the team. That would leave Dirk Nowitizki, Shawn Marion, and Vince Carter. I love all three of these guys. But that's not a team on the rise. That's a team in need of youth. And a point guard. We all saw what happened when a talented team is guided by a hapless point guard this season. Would Dwight be willing to play out another year until Dirk takes his paycut and Dallas can sign more talent? I don't know. Given his tendency to vocalize his complaints with the media, I certainly don't think another frustrating season is something he'd be willing to undergo.

From a basketball point of view only, Howard's options in order of preference should be Houston, Los Angeles, then Dallas. Including money, it's probably Los Angeles, Houston, and then Dallas. Unless Dwight values an aging Dirk over a young Harden, I don't see how or why Howard would choose the Mavericks.

This is not to say it won't happen. Dwight is not really an astute judge of anything, so I certainly think it's in the realm of possibilities. The Dallas front office knows all this though, which is partially why Chris Paul is the number one option. In the days and weeks ahead you'll probably see more and more about why and how Howard might make his way into a Maverick uniform, mainly because it's fun to talk about. The reasons why it's unlikely are less fun and less covered. Just because something can happen doesn't mean that it will. Unfortunately, we're likely to end up very disappointed by the end of this off season.

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2013/5/20/4348082/always-a-bridesmaid-never-a-bride
    --------------------------
    Plan CP3: Mark Cuban is Mavs' biggest advantage

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

ESPNDallas.com will compare the Mavericks and Clippers in five facets -- other than money -- that could play a role in Chris Paul's free agency decision in a one-per-day series: owners/front office, coaches, co-stars, supporting casts and franchise tradition. We'll focus on Dwight Howard next week.

There’s one reason why Chris Paul might consider leaving millions of dollars on the table to say farewell to a 56-win team with a lot of young talent. His name is Donald Sterling.

Sterling spending money for two good seasons, made possible by the deal to acquire Paul from the Hornets, doesn’t erase three decades of being a penny-pinching NBA disgrace.

Put it this way: The Clippers have made half as many playoff appearances during Sterling’s 32-year ownership tenure as the Mavs have in 13 full seasons under Mark Cuban. Sterling’s squads have won a grand total of two playoff series, 11 fewer than Cuban’s teams.

Oh, and Sterling also happens to have been accused of racism, sexism, etc. in multiple lawsuits. In basketball and his other business, he’s simply an awful boss. Cuban, on the other hand, is widely beloved by those who have played for the Mavs for his willingness to do whatever is in his power to give his team the best chance to win. (He also happens to be friendly with Paul, as evidenced by Cuban and Dirk Nowitzki palling around with Paul at Tiger Woods' charity poker tournament in Las Vegas over the weekend.)

That’s why Cuban vs. Sterling is a point the Mavs must hammer in their talks with Paul.

Clippers president Andy Roeser and general manager Gary Sacks, who was promoted to his position last summer after Neil Olshey made a lateral move to Portland, deserve credit for putting together one of the league’s deepest benches. However, they’ve also been part of the problem franchise for two decades.

The mountains of Sterling’s dirt might be enough to plant seeds of doubt in Paul’s mind about staying in L.A. The Mavs brass would still have to sell him on their ability to build and sustain a legitimate contender with him as a centerpiece.

Cuban and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson can point to their dozen-year playoff run with Nowitzki as proof of their credibility. Their challenge will be forming a plan for the future that could make CP3 believe that he’d win a championship in Dallas.

EDGE: Mavs by a mile.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mave...plan-cp3-mark-cuban-is-mavs-biggest-advantage

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

What does the Mavs have roster-wise that would make Paul want to go there? Surely the small "chance" that Howard would sign there isn't enough.

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I hate to say it but the mavs will hsve some serious flexibility once/if Dirk signs for the minimum.

4. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Paul Marion and dirk that's 50 mill there. Another 10 to spend and bird rights to most if their players. But I just don't see how that's better than Jamal Crawford Bledsoe Jordan butler and griffin. There's no way dirk takes minimum. He might take 8-9 but not Moore than that. Plus he's getting up in age and his health was questioned this year. If Paul signs

I'm guessing they are aiming for next years fa. They could just amnesty dirk and sign Howard Paul and then use remaining money for a 4 and some spare parts. Might be the only way to get both Howard and Paul if Cuban feels Paul isn't interested being there with only dirk.

5. joepu

joepu Member

Any sportswriter who still doesn't know asik and lins deals are 8/8/8 for houston capwise automatically loses credibility with me

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dallas already amnestied Brendan Haywood. Paul is certainly a better fit than Howard for Dallas going forward, but realistically, you need to offer a much better basketball situation to get Paul out of the Clippers, and that really isn't it, the other side of it is if Dallas bomb out, I'm imagine Dirk will retire or sign for less with someone else, he's not going to play out on a lottery team.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Add a flopper and a dirty player like Chris Paul to an already obnoxious franchise like Dallas??

There is a limit to my hate meter. I do not know if it will go that high.

8. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

SAME!

1 person likes this.
  9. arubato

arubato Member

This.

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

Paul Marion?

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Mavs aren't getting Howard or CP3. Cuban royally blew it by not bringing back Chandler for a repeat title run. You never know what might have happened. Their window with Dirk as the lead player is closed.

12. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

There is no way they would amnesty Dirk. I see that happening to Kobe before Dirk.

13. T4Buckets

T4Buckets Member

Paul, Marion

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You give up on a player to prioritize an even better player? Seems backwards?

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Well we all know the outcome when you're GM is your "biggest advantage".

No one ever comes to play with a superstar GM.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mark Cuban. The only NBA owner to ever break apart a championship team right after they win it all to go after different players.

Yeah, what a great owner.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not to mention the embarrassment of missing on Deron last summer. I mean, Cuban broke up a championship team to very openly go after Deron, who was from Dallas... and they still couldn't close the deal. That's why Cuban and Dirk's "grand plan" of who they could sign in 2014 won't be taken seriously.

18. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Thanks for the clarification. Ya, only being able to sign Paul and filling out the team with a shaky dirk doesn't sound like a master plan to me.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm so glad our team is owned by Les Alexander who was smart enough to hire Morey. The Mavs (prior to Hollinger being hired in Memphis) are supposed to be the other cutting edge team, but they just don't seem very smartly run.

20. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

^this