1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seau - A Free Agent

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheHorns, Mar 14, 2003.

1. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Chargers give Seau permission to talk with other teams
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services
    Friday, March 14

So much for ending his career with the Chargers.

San Diego gave linebacker Junior Seau's agent permission to talk with other clubs, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported Friday.

As a result, Seau said Thursday that he played his last game in a Chargers uniform, and that if a deal with other NFL clubs doesn't turn up, he expects to be released.

"It's definitely good and bad," Seau told the Union-Tribune after speaking with coach Marty Schottenheimer. "It's time for us to part ways. There will be some disgruntled people and disgruntled fans, but it was time. I have so many great memories from my time in San Diego, but I look forward to the challenge ahead. I have no regrets about what was done. I wish everyone the best."

Seau, 34, told the newspaper that he was surprised by the events, even though the team has shown a lot of turnover since John Butler was named the Chargers' new general manager two years ago.

While there was no clear reason why the Chargers are allowing Seau to negotiate with other teams, Schottenheimer said it was an organizational move, and one that was difficult to deliver.

"Look, this is not easy for me," Schottenheimer told the newspaper. "Junior Seau embodies everything you want in a player - work ethic, dedication, passion. But we felt this was something we needed to do, and we wanted to do it right. That's why we extended the courtesy to Junior and his representative to try to see if there's a trade that can be reached."

And while Schottenheimer didn't rule out Seau's return to San Diego, the linebacker told the newspaper that there was no chance because he does not want to play for a team that "ostensibly said" it no longer wants him around.

Seau, a 12-time Pro Bowler who has been the team's "franchise player" from when the Chargers selected him in the first round of the 1990 draft, said he will discuss the move at a 6 p.m. ET news conference today at his Mission Valley restaurant.

"For the most part, this is a moment that we all need to think about and rehearse for and be prepared for," Seau told the newspaper. "There's just so much going on when a transaction such as this happens. For the most part, what we want to do is better ourselves. But this is an action that's coming from above."

Seau said that he has already talked with two teams. But teams might be hesitant about making a deal now. If clubs wait until the Chargers release Seau, they could acquire him without compensation.

"Marvin and I are going to be proactive," Seau told the Union-Tribune, referring to his agent, Marvin Demoff. "No matter what's being said, I'm here to say that we have a deal where we have permission to seek the market, and that's great. We're going to do that.

"All I want to do is put on another hat and carry on and do what I do best - on two healthy ankles. That's where we are."

Seau signed a contract extension three years ago. At that time he declared that he was proud he would end his career with the Chargers, a team he idolized while growing up in Oceanside, Calif.

2. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

3. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Next time I go in that forum will be the second time I go there (this was the first). Sue me for not going into each forum.:cool: :cool: